Skyline

Mariah Carey UK Singles Chart Runs

There hasn't been a big popstar in ages

Music is filled with boring one hit wonders these days

I remember I used to scour the new release listings for upcoming singles from my faves and now it's like a 2-year wait between albums of people I care about cry4.gif' alt='cry3'>

And dead7 at the fact they don't use airplay charts

Mimi's strong point was airplay

With it, she'd have so many more #1s there

They still don't count Airplay, now they only use sales + streaming (not from YouTube tho).

It is quite frustrating, if a song doesn't go no.1 in the first week it has a very small chance of doing so later in its run. Back in the 80's and early 90's I think the chart runs were similair to the US but for some reason record labels started to prefer bigger opening weeks over long-term charting for singles.

The albums chart is a lot better in terms of longevity for artists.

Now that many people care more about longevity than high peaks laughcry1

I wouldn't want the UK to include airplay, it skews things because radios pick what they play based on what the labels serve them.

This is very true, at least with pure sales you can tell that people actually like the song.

The fact that Taylor still doesn't have a #1 here yas2

This is why I don't think #1's should be a measure of popularity especially in the UK. Janet Jackson had the same problem, none of her singles went #1 but she had 2 #2's and a long list of Top 10's proving that she was (at least back in the late80's and 90's) quite popular.

Taylor is facing a similar situation right now.

Now that many people care more about longevity than high peaks laughcry1

True       laughcry1     Many people tend to look at the peak rather than the sales.

I do think a lot of UK chart runs are quite tragic because of how front-loaded they are and how the singles literally drop off the chart so quickly unless they happen to be MASSIVE hits.

True       laughcry1     Many people tend to look at the peak rather than the sales.

I do think a lot of UK chart runs are quite tragic because of how front-loaded they are and how the singles literally drop off the chart so quickly unless they happen to be MASSIVE hits.

SIO sold a million, yet Rita's #1s are still not even Gold laughcry1

It's just messy since there's not as much correlation between peaks and sales and you'd expect there to be   laughcry1

It's the same in America though. Because of the influence of Airplay, you often get songs that peaked at #25 or something but still went 2x Platinum. 

Inb4 we have to wait till 2018/2019 for the next Britney/Gaga breakout star   xtina1

It'll be sooo long

Not here for 6 years of boredom

It's just messy since there's not as much correlation between peaks and sales and you'd expect there to be   laughcry1

I can't at some Ritabots coming for Taylor because of #1s laughcry1

It did? shock1 See that's the benefit of digital sales - it's so much easier to get a million seller these days than ever before. 

LoveStory is also at 1 million I think

I think that only newcomers/unknown artists stand a chance to have a rising hit in the UK as not many people would pre-order/buy their singles in the first week. When it comes to established artists, there's just too much hype.

It did? shock1 See that's the benefit of digital sales - it's so much easier to get a million seller these days than ever before. 

Madonna didn't have a platinum single till 2005 with Hung Up.

All her other no.1's and Top 10's before were either Silver or Gold.

Then again, Janet managed a Platinum single in the late 90's despite it peaking at #4, so it's another example why the peaks and sales don't correlate very well in the UK.