Galaxy

''Kesha's being punished for standing up to patriarchy''

toWLoek.png

[Noisey:] Kesha, slut shaming and the tyranny of pop music patriarchy

Kesha is the quintessential unruly woman. She wears her sexuality on her sleeve, and indeed, Dr. Luke and Sony have profited greatly from her bold image. They’ve also used that same image to implicitly slut-shame her into submission. Kesha is a woman who, until now, acted and didn’t simply appear as songwriter and performer in her own right. She has repeatedly challenged traditional notions of a woman’s relationship to sex with her image, public activism, and lyricism. In 2013 Kesha released “Dirty Love” as an ode to women openly enjoying sex for the simple act of sex. Her lyrics have a general sentiment of either “I’m going to fuck” or “throw some glitter around”, like in “Who’s Next?” where she sings, “You know I just can't get enough/ Who’s next/ Who’s next fun time n sex.” She’s been noted by GLAAD for embracing her own bisexuality when she stated in an interview, "I don’t love just men. I love people. It’s not about a gender,” and for her activism for LGBTQ rights. She has spoken openly about depression, rehab, and her eating disorder (which allegedly was promoted by Dr. Luke who had told her she looked “like a refrigerator”).

Kesha, throughout her career, has threatened the balance of power between genders and contorted the boundaries of feminine propriety in ways that have been both fearless and inspiring. And then Kesha dared to stand up to the patriarchy, she dared to be hurt and to say so, and she was duly punished for it. Wonderful, isn’t it, how you can use a woman’s sexuality to make a fortune, and then use it against her to violently and completely diminish her when it suits you? I can’t help but wonder how differently this might have played out if Kesha was a chaste character, or if Dr. Luke weren’t white.

Kesha’s case should strike fear in the hearts of all women. It certainly does in mine. It promotes the toxic idea that a woman who just wants “dirty love”—who is promiscuous and wears short skirts—is as implicitly more guilty in her assault than her aggressor. While none of this has been explicitly articulated by Dr. Luke and Sony, the message is clear: If you disrupt the status quo, you will be destroyed. Let’s not forget that Dr. Luke’s ability to enjoy his life freely, make money, and produce music has not been hampered in any way. Kesha’s case is a powerful icon for the pervasiveness of rape culture and victim blaming that still persists and suffocates us socially and culturally. It tells victims one thing, without exception, and that is if you dare to speak out, you will be punished in kind. Dr. Luke, for all I know, might be innocent. But he retains the right to be tried as such. Kesha has not been so lucky, and without so much as a cross-examination, is already serving her sentence.

It's because Dr.Luke is a very powerful man and unfortunately he holds the strings. It's a great read and there's not a single lie. He continues to work as if nothing happened while Kesha can't do anything. 

I don't think she's lying. Why would she go through all this trouble if their relationship was alright? If it was at least normal then Kesha could have easily fullfiled her side of the contract and be done with it. Things are clearly very wrong otherwise she wouldn't have taken it so far. 

We all think how the music industry is all glam and money and whatever, but there's probably a lot of ugly stuff going on that we have no idea of. God knows how many newcomers get used in one way or another but never speak up about it. A lot of rape cases NEVER get reported. 

It's because Dr.Luke is a very powerful man and unfortunately he holds the strings. It's a great read and there's not a single lie. He continues to work as if nothing happened while Kesha can't do anything. 

I don't think she's lying. Why would she go through all this trouble if their relationship was alright? If it was at least normal then Kesha could have easily fullfiled her side of the contract and be done with it. Things are clearly very wrong otherwise she wouldn't have taken it so far. 

We all think how the music industry is all glam and money and whatever, but there's probably a lot of ugly stuff going on that we have no idea of. God knows how many newcomers get used in one way or another but never speak up about it. A lot of rape cases NEVER get reported. 

brit2brit2 brit2