Offensive Jokes or Sensitive Audience?

19 posts in this topic

So this is merely out of social observance. In recent times I have noticed that what was formerly typical humor is now becoming highly sensitive material. 

Now I don't want to conclude by saying we live In a sensitive world and that people are too insecure not to take a joke. But I truly feel like ANYTHING can be taken the wrong way and that the general republic is turning into SJWs. 

how do you feel? 

Urgh it annoys me. Yeah there should be some limitations and there are certain things that should not be said, but I'm so over these SJWs and them getting offended by every fucking little thing. I'm literally watching Benidorm (Series 3) right now and there were some jokes in Episode 4 which were a bit extreme but they were absolutely hilarious and fit the character. This season aired in 2008 (?) and I'm literally thinking the amount of complaisn they'd get from tumblr in 2015. There was nothing I would complain about. People get too offended nowadays. I say people, but realistically it's the sad little 14 year old kids on tumblr. smh. 

Edited by RihannaRTT

No, it's literally just people finding reasons to get pissed off. A lot of famous comedians who've been working since the '90s are refusing to do standup shows at colleges these days because there's this idiotic culture of "if it offends me even the tiniest bit, it's wrong and I should exterminate it". Humor can be offensive; some of the funniest comedy is intentionally offensive. It comes from a loving place, though. In order to make a joke of something that's even remotely funny, you have to study the subject and have a modicum of respect for it. If you can't laugh at your own failings, then you don't deserve to be laughing at all, because comedy is always based on the vagaries of life. It's relevant to someone, somewhere and if you laugh at that, but don't laugh about something relevant to you personally, that's a tad ridiculous.

Urgh it annoys me. Yeah there should be some limitations and there are certain things that should not be said, but I'm so over these SJWs and them getting offended by every fucking little thing. I'm literally watching Benidorm (Series 3) right now and there were some jokes in Episode 4 which were a bit extreme but they were absolutely hilarious and fit the character. This season aired in 2008 (?) and I'm literally thinking the amount of complaisn they'd get from tumblr in 2015. There was nothing I would complain about. People get too offended nowadays. I say people, but realistically it's the sad little 14 year old kids on tumblr. smh. 

agreed. Jokes =/= bullying. People laugh at jokes because they are funny and absurd. No one takes you seriously when you do stand up or if it's a comedy show. THATS WHY ITS FUNNY. People say the craziest and most abnormal things people wouldn't normally think or say. 

No, it's literally just people finding reasons to get pissed off. A lot of famous comedians who've been working since the '90s are refusing to do standup shows at colleges these days because there's this idiotic culture of "if it offends me even the tiniest bit, it's wrong and I should exterminate it". Humor can be offensive; some of the funniest comedy is intentionally offensive. It comes from a loving place, though. In order to make a joke of something that's even remotely funny, you have to study the subject and have a modicum of respect for it. If you can't laugh at your own failings, then you don't deserve to be laughing at all, because comedy is always based on the vagaries of life. It's relevant to someone, somewhere and if you laugh at that, but don't laugh about something relevant to you personally, that's a tad ridiculous.

YES YES YES. 

it makes me kinda worry that we are gonna end up living in a bland type of world like the one in The Giver because people don't have self-confidence or simply love to make a riot out of a pen drop.

i can hear german kevin's heels breaking as she stumbles down the halls towards this thread

i can hear german kevin's heels breaking as she stumbles down the halls towards this thread

I can also hear the cheap glue from your weave peeling off already 

alex1 

I'm torn bc the only way to progress as a society and fight intolerance is to BE offended and outspoken about it. Do I want to hear my coworkers make racially charged jokes at minorities expenses? Or children/adults flippantly joke about ableism? Fuck no, because I know it's coming from a malicious and ignorant place and only fueling the issue. It all depends on the intent behind the joke, if it's making a political or social statement, and whether or not it contributes to the oppression of already oppressed groups of people.

I agree with this though:

hnnNNN rip3

I feel like it can go either way depending on the situation, but most of the times it's sensitive audience.

a part of the reason what comics are taught while doing improv and stuff is that shock value works to their favor. a big part of comedy is to say things that may shock or offend people. that just comes with the job. comedy is meant to be offensive, but not all ways. Truly, comedy evolves with the world but looking at even sitcoms like FRIENDS they have an episode referring to a cross dresser as a tranny. that would NEVER fly today because this grown tumblr hyper sensitivity. People today are either afraid of the truth (to some people) or are afraid of making someone else mad. that's just the problem we care too much what people think of us. But also, times were different back then what was acceptable back then isn't now. But if a comedian tells racist jokes and you're offended, well clearly you've never heard a start up comedian bc that's where they all came from. it's just apart of society and comedians comment on this society. if it happens to be racist or offensive well take a look at yourself and fix society you live in if you're so offended that a majority of people do have what you think are "racist" or "offensive" views. 

It's all about context right?

giphy.gif

Meh. I love offensive comedy, but there's a time and place.