Systemagic

'Confessions on a Dance Floor' turns 10

tumblr_inline_mwhalogUPX1r5swg5.jpg

Considered by many “the last iconic moment in music” (I’d argue that, I consider the armed Mother of Jesus on the MDNA Tour as equally iconic jj2 ), the imagery from Madonna’s Confessions truly became one of the strongest and most meaningful imagery in music.

Confessions On a Dance Floor has sold over 15 million copies worldwide since its release in November 2005. It peaked at number one in 40 countries, earning a place in the 2007 Guinness Book of World Records as the album topping the charts in most countries. It also won a Grammy award as the “Best Dance/Electronic Album” in 2006.

Rescuing 70s disco glamour and an Olivia Newton-John look, the Confessions era started off with Hung Up - which became one of Madonna’s biggest hits - and one of the most fun videos to watch! 

It chronicles people from all walks of life (professional dancers, street dancers) from all over the world (somewhere in Asia, Los Angeles, and Paris) rehearsing/getting ready for a dance-off that would take place in some underground club in London.

Fun fact:

Madonna filmed the Hung Up video under painkillers. She had broken 10 bones in a horseback riding accident three months before filming it, and at the time, her collarbone fracture had not been fully healed yet.

Influences:

Madonna’s Confessions on a Dance Floor is a celebration of four decades of dance music as a well established genre of music. It pays homage to several dance music artists, from 70s disco music, to 90s French House DJs, to NY club musicians from the mid-00s. From ABBA, to Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer, to the Pet Shop Boys, to Air: Madonna had it all covered in a nearly one-hour long DJ set (there are no gaps in between the songs, just like a DJ set).

Legacy:

The Confessions era not only became highly successful both critically and commercially (The Confessions Tour was the biggest tour of 2006 and is still among the most successful tours of all times), but it is also regarded as a key factor in the diffusion of Parkour in popular culture across the globe.

tumblr_mumgirvHiX1rxml8no7_r1_500.gif

HAVE YOU CONFESSED?

alex1

alex1  alex1  alex1

alex1

alex1

alex1

COAD made me join Internet Forums

first time ever i follwed News and pre Era stuff on onlne forums was for Hung Up

i remember us waitng for the lyrics on Madonna.com

and than they released a snippet dead2 every1 went wild

and i remember the Video premier on German tv cry1

the promotion was on top cry1

cant believe it is already 10 years ago