McDreamy

'Needed Me' Rises to No. 1 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart

rihanna-needed-me-vid-2016-billboard-154

Rihanna earns her sixth No. 1 onBillboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songschart, as "Needed Me" hops 2-1 on the Sept. 24-dated list.

The crowning climb follows another No. 1 for Rihanna earlier this year with "Work," featuring Drake, which spent 11 weeks on top, first leading the Feb. 13 chart. It's the first time that Rihanna has placed two tracks from the same album atop the chart; both are from her most recent release, Anti. The set debuted at No. 1 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albumschart (Feb. 20) and spent four weeks at No. 1.

"Needed Me" bumps Drake from his record-breaking 18-week run at No. 1 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs with "One Dance," featuring WizKid & Kyla. The song slides to No. 2 on the chart (which blends airplay, sales and streaming data, powered by Nielsen Music). "Needed Me" had spent the last eight weeks at No. 2 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs below "One Dance."

Rihanna takes the No. 1 slot despite an overall 2 percent decline in chart points. That said, the song is up 1 percent in streams (to 4.1 million in the week ending Sept. 8); 41 percent of its weekly clicks are from Spotify, while YouTube claims 35 percent. The song slips 11 percent in sales (to 27,000 downloads) and falls 2 percent in audience (to 80.6 million).

Rihanna's 6 No. 1s on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Title, Peak date, Weeks at No. 1
"Take a Bow," Aug. 30, 2008, one week
"Diamonds," Oct. 20, 2012, 14 weeks
"The Monster," (Eminem feat. Rihanna), Nov. 16, 2013, 13 weeks
"FourFiveSeconds" (with Kanye West & Paul McCartney), Feb. 21, 2015, seven weeks
"Work," feat. Drake, Feb. 13, 2016, 11 weeks
"Needed Me," Sept. 24, 2016 (one week to date)

In the 11 years since Rihanna first debuted on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, on June 11, 2005, with "Pon De Replay" (which rose to No. 24), she has notched 48 total hits on the chart. She trails just two other female acts for the most appearances in that span: Nicki Minaj (71) and Beyonce (52).

Also notably, "Needed Me" took 32 weeks to hit the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs summit, completing Rihanna's longest trip to No. 1 and the third-longest of any leader. John Legend's "All of Me" reached No. 1 in its 35th frame in 2014, while the longest trek belongs to R. Kelly's "Step in the Name if Love," which became the chart's leader in its 43rd week in 2003.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7503725/rihanna-needed-me-number-1-hot-rb-hip-hop-songs-chart?utm_source=twitter