Ted Cruz says "democrats getting nuttier" after Trump win

130107_ted_cruz_ap_605.jpg

Donald Trump’s surprise victory in last week’s presidential election has sent Democrats into a “bizarre spiral of getting nuttier and nuttier,” Sen. Ted Cruz said Thursday morning, and Republicans will have to see where the minority party lands before deciding how closely to work with them on the president-elect’s agenda.

“Well, listen, we need to see how the Democrats respond,” Cruz (R-Texas) said on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” when asked how much cooperation the GOP should seek across the aisle. “I think the lesson they took from this election is they weren't liberal and extreme enough and they've got to get even more whacked out and disconnected from the American people. I hope some saner heads prevail in the Democratic Party. I hope there are Democratic senators who actually want to come and do the job we've been given.”

Cruz said he spent much of his Trump Tower meeting earlier this week discussing with the president-elect the mandate that he and the Republican Party had been given by the American people. The Texas firebrand said “it is time to put up or shut up” for the GOP and that he was looking forward to working with Trump on the “incredible opportunities” that the party has before it. He specified repealing the Affordable Care Act and confirming conservative Supreme Court justices as two goals he is especially looking forward to tackling.

The Texas senator has been floated by some as a possible pick to be Trump’s attorney general, a selection that would bring together two men who bitterly attacked one another during the GOP primary. Trump pinned to Cruz the nickname “Lyin’ Ted,” retweeted unflattering photos of the senator’s wife and accused his father, without evidence, of being involved in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Source