Wonder

In the Zone Track-By-Track Review

In the Zone is, at least in my opinion, Britney's masterpiece. I know that I am in the somewhat minority on this, as many prefer Blackout or Glory. But, I guess I am a tad biased. In the Zone was the first Britney album I ever heard, and I don't think she has recreated the magic of it since (though Blackout and onwards are amazing and Femme Fatale is my second 

favorite Britney album) and it will always have a special place in my heart. Be sure to share your thoughts as well. 

Me Against the Music (featuring Madonna)   10/10

The Undisputed Queen of Pop Madonna and the Undisputed Princess of Pop meet for this incredible album opener. The song is one of the strongest tracks that Britney has ever 

released to the world. The song's driving force is the guitar groove that drives the song forward. The lyrics are incredibly playful and there is such fantastic back and forth between 

Britney and Madonna. The song feels like a cat and mouse chase and is incredibly thrilling. The song very much makes you feel like you need to desperately get out on the dance floor like your life depends on it. This song is an incredible introduction to an incredible album. 

(I Got That) Boom Boom (featuring Ying Yang Twins)   7/10

Yes, The Ying Yang Twins are annoying. I'm aware. Quit your bitching. They aren't enough to make this song unlistenable. The song has some genuinely interesting elements and at the very least, it is fun listen to for the sake of how different of a song it is. Britney seems to be enjoying herself a lot on this song, and she seems to have enjoyed it enough to perform it (which can't be said for better songs such as Criminal and I've Just Begun (Havin' My Fun). The song can become a tad laborious toward the end, as the song is only 9 seconds shy of 5 minutes. But the song achieves it's ultimate goal and creates a fun and intriguing listen, even if it doesn't have much replay potential. 

Showdown   10/10

By far one of the most underrated songs in Britney's entire discography. The songs instrumental track by itself is sultry and exciting, and the entertaining lyrics are just icing on the cake. This song does come out of left field a bit, but it is oh so welcome. The biggest selling point of this song is how it manages to create a feeling of mystery in the listener, like the song is some masked stranger that is enticing you into a seductive groove. The echoed and subdued beats of the song add more air to the mysterious tone and the song leaves you feeling satisfied by it's conclusion. 

Breathe on Me   9/10

This song is incredibly sexy in every way and it is so f***ing entertaining. The song's musical arrangement is incredible and makes for something so original, and nothing sounds like it out there. The song is unapologetic in it's commitment to making something sexy and mesmerizing. The calmness of the vocals are also of note, as it adds to the overall sex appeal. This is a song that creates a tone and theme and sticks to it until the very end. The only thing that could be said negative about the song is that it's runtime is a little tight at 3:43 and the ending feels a little bit rushed. But overall, the song is an amazing addition. 

Early Mornin'   7.5/10

This song tends to be ignored a lot in the grand scheme of the album and that isn't fair. The song is entertaining, though it isn't breaking any new ground. The song is filler 

undeniably, but it doesn't try present itself as not filler. The song knows what it is and it isn't going to make you believe otherwise. The song is a tad on the boring side by itself, but treated as part of the grand scheme of the album, it works. It just dines't beg to be listened to again and again. 

Toxic   10/10

We all know this song is going to be Britney's crown jewel for years and years to come. Though it isn't my favorite song on this album, it is still undeniably one of the most iconic that Britney has put out. And for good reason. The song is incredible. The mysterious vibe is back and this time, it is inviting you into it's web to be fully consumed by it's majesty. The song is instantly memorable and it sticks with you long after you hear it. There isn't much to say about the song that hasn't already been said. 

Outrageous   8/10

Though the video for this song will forever be synonymous with ending the amazing Onyx Hotel Tour and ending amazing dancer Britney for several years. The song however is much more than that, and it is very enjoyable. What this song lacks in over memorability it more than makes up fore in it's imagination and being very different. It features Britney at her most R&B and, though it feels odd, it kind of works. Overall the song is a bit lazy, but that won't knock down it's inventiveness. 

Touch of My Hand   10/10

The other sex song on the album. This song talks about a subject that is touchy (no pun intended). Britney was so brave to cover the subject on self love in mainstream music, and it makes the song so much more intriguing. It feels like forbidden fruit. The song traps you in it's web of sin and doesn't let you free. The song has such a sex appeal and it oozes 

charisma. The song is another one of the tracks on the album that sticks with you after the close of the album. 

The Hook Up   3/10

This can easily be called the worst song on the album. The song feels redundant after Boom Boom and it is really kind of a chore to sit through. The song is very much filler and, 

unlike Early Mornin', it tries to be a German Shepard when it's really a Weiner Dog. The song is silly and the instrumental track is odd. The song, in my opinion doesn't have a saving grace and it bogs down the latter half of the album. 

Shadow   8.5/10

This song should have sucked. It shouldn't have worked. But it did. The song is very enjoyable and has an airy and mystic quality. The song has beautiful lyrics which is the strongest selling point for me. The lyrics are quite beautiful. The instrumental itself is also beautiful. It is a very worthy addition to the album as whole and is one of the more underrated gems in Britney's world. 

Brave New World   7.5/10

This is another filler song. It is undeniable filler as it becomes increasingly obvious as the song progresses that there wasn't much attention paid to this song. Overall, the song is

alright. It isn't an awful song, but it isn't really all that fantastic either. 

Everytime   10/10

This right here is the best song on the album. This song is such an emotionally charged piece, and it manages to effortlessly stir emotion in the listener. There isn't much to be said about this song that hasn't already been said. It is just a fantastic piece of music and one of the absolute best songs that Britney has released on any of her albums.