Angelus

Mirror: 5 reasons I love the fact Madonna is growing old disgracefully

Madonna joins James Corden for a spot of Carpool Karaoke tonight and her twerking antics have divided opinion - but I love the queen of pop for continuing to shock, even if sometimes it's for all the wrong reasons

Oh goodie. Madonna ’s appearance on James Corden ’s hit Carpool Karaoke finally hits the airwaves tonight.

We’ve seen the trailer and heard the outrage - now we finally get to see what all the fuss is about. Not surprisingly, as with all things that Madge does, there’s already been a bit of controversy.

For starters, the 58-year-old humps a car seat wearing a pair of extremely tight leather trousers and I think it’s pretty much downhill from there.

Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan called for a sick bucket after watching "train wreck" Madonna’s "utterly embarrassing" performance.

But let’s face it, the woman that became famous for kissing a black saint and burning a Ku Klux Klan cross in her Like a Prayer video was never going to grow old gracefully. The whole point of Madonna is to outrage and shock.

She’s even ruffled my feathers from time to time. I had to learn to graciously forgive and forget after last year's cheeky bottom flashing Grammy moment . But when you really step back and think about it, where in the world would we be without Madonna?

Here are just 5 of the many, many reasons why I love her.

1. Madonna is a true megastar

She’s not a celeb in the modern meaning of the world. She’s what I call ‘a real famous person’. Remember those? Truly inspirational people that influenced your life, sold millions of records, had mega careers and became famous for actually doing something?

Well, yup, that’s what you’ve got right here. This year, at the age of 58, she will be named Billboard’s Woman of the Year.

Madonna has sold over 300 million records worldwide, making her a music legend. If she wants to rub her yoga toned glutes over a bit of leather car upholstery, then that’s fine with me.

2. She's had more influence on fashion than any other pop star

No pop diva has reinvented their image more times than Madonna, and with every new look we were right behind her. Fingerless gloves, crop tops, terrible perms, fishnet tights, crucifixes, bleached denim, billions of bangles, corsets, conical bras, platinum blonde hair, leotards… the list goes on and I wouldn’t change one humiliating fashion moment.

The fact that I stopped dressing like her a loooooong time ago isn’t the point. No, I’m not a fan of the thigh high boots and yes, I do think it’s time she put those thighs away, but did we seriously think Madonna was going to start wearing skinny jeans and a nice cashmere sweater? No Siree.

3. In a world of boring celebrities, she doesn’t take herself too seriously

I’m going to use Madonna’s bottom flashing moment at the Grammys last year to prove my point, but there have been many more.

Madonna caused outrage when she flashed her bottom on the red carpet by lifting up the back of her Givenchy corset and flashing her naked derrière. Naughty, naughty. Twitter went into meltdown, blah, blah, blah....mission accomplished.

Madonna’s raison d'être has always been to shock, provoke and poke fun. And just because she’s pushing 60 she clearly has no intention of stopping any time soon. While we rant, rave and reprimand, she’s having the last laugh.

4. My son dressed up as Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan for Halloween last year

No matter what happens, we’ll always have Madonna and all her many, many reinventions. With every album and new project there’s been a new look (Like A Virgin, Boy Toy, Geisha, Disco Diva, Dominatrix, Hollywood Siren) and we’ve loved them all.

My son is 9 and has never even sat through Desperately Seeking Susan (but then, let's be honest, who has?) but he wanted to dress up like her for Halloween last year. Her music and influence will live on way after her fillers have gone down.

5. She hasn't caved into pressure and starting acting or dressing differently just because now she's deemed 'old'

Remember the Sex book ? The fellating a bottle in her ‘on the road’ documentary In Bed With Madonna , the rather embarrassing Britney snogging incident? The bonkers MET Gala bunny ear outfit?

Well it’s hard to catalogue all of her audacious moves, because quite frankly there have been a few. They just get logged next to all the other embarrassing Madonna moments .

But we don’t have to like everything she does to love her. Because while the rest of the world is busy Instragramming their perfect lives, she really doesn’t give a sh*t.

Just because the world has decided to label her as 'old' it doesn't mean she has to stop doing what Madonna does best. And that's getting our knickers in a twist and rubbing us all up the wrong way.

Long may it last.

Great article and great points oprah2