Infrared

Dylann Roof sentenced to death

DOJ

A federal court jury in South Carolina has sentenced convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof to death for the June 2015 massacre at historic black Emanuel AME church, where he killed nine people during a Bible study.

It took the jury — composed of eight white women, two black women, one black man, and one white man — just under three hours of deliberation to decide the fate of the avowed white supremacist who was convicted on all 33 counts against him, including 9 murder charges and 12 violations of the federal hate crime statute.

The jury’s decision to sentence Roof to death comes after a penalty phase trial that saw four days of testimony from loved ones of the victims shot to death on June 17, 2015.

During the penalty phase, government prosecutors argued that Roof deserved the death penalty because he showed no remorse for his crimes. In his opening statement, prosecutor Nathan Williams read an excerpt from jailhouse writings by Roof written six weeks after his arrest in 2015 in which he declared he was not sorry about the murders.

Bye jan trash1 

33 minutes ago, Tiny Little Bows said:

I'm against death penalty but bye bye! rih8

I am somewhat just because its an easy way out for them in a way. Make them live it out in prison for the rest of there life. Much harsher in my opinion

1 hour ago, Paranomin said:

I am somewhat just because its an easy way out for them in a way. Make them live it out in prison for the rest of there life. Much harsher in my opinion

yeah but then he's living off state's money for food, warmth and clothes, money that can be used to feed a homeless child perhaps or something else

i don't agree with death but this way we're getting rid of him the same way he did with those people who did nothing wrong to him

11 hours ago, Russian Roulette said:

yeah but then he's living off state's money for food, warmth and clothes, money that can be used to feed a homeless child perhaps or something else

i don't agree with death but this way we're getting rid of him the same way he did with those people who did nothing wrong to him

In California, it costs an additional $90,000 to maintain a prisoner on death row as opposed to one that's not. It's actually much more expensive.

5 minutes ago, Tiny Little Bows said:

In California, it costs an additional $90,000 to maintain a prisoner on death row as opposed to one that's not. It's actually much more expensive.

That's what I try telling people.

I have mixed feelings about the death penatly.

On one hand - certain crimes are HEINOUS and unforgivable like Dylan Roof's and those people don't deserve to be on this planet

On the other hand - it costs more money putting people on death row and who are we to say who deserves to die and who doesn't?