Entea

More than 100 asylum seekers drown as boat sinks in the Mediterranean Sea

med-rescue-4.jpg

More than 100 refugees have drowned after a boat sank in rough conditions in the Mediterranean Sea as the crisis shows no sign of slowing. The Italian Navy was searching for survivors from the vessel, which was believed to be carrying up to 110 people. Only four survivors were pulled from the water, with at least eight bodies found so far.

Flavio Di Giacomo, from the International Organisation for Migration, told The Independent around 106 people were thought to have died and described the conditions at sea as "extremely bad". The boat went down in waters between Libya and Italy, which has become the deadliest sea crossing in the world since the start of the refugee crisis.

It claimed the vast majority of more than 5,000 lives lost in treacherous boat journeys to Europe in 2016, the deadliest year on record, with people drowning or being crushed or suffocated in overcrowded smugglers' boats. Saturday's disaster was the worst single incident so far this year, which has already seen at least 122 deaths at sea.

Rescue workers warn that the crisis is showing no sign of slowing in the Central Mediterranean, which has become the main route since the EU-Turkey deal was implemented in March to reduce comparatively shorter and safer crossings over the Aegean Sea.

At least 550 refugees were rescued on Friday alone off the coast of Libya, where continuing conflict and lawlessness since the British-backed defeat of Muammar Gaddafi has allowed the smuggling and exploitation of migrants to thrive.

Two people were found dead at the bottom of one of the four boats saved and the bodies of four other migrants were found off the coast of Spain. Several asylum seekers have also died in the extreme weather conditions gripping much of Europe in recent weeks.

Source + more info and pics: Independent UK

44 minutes ago, ♚Missy♚ said:

And yet their deaths will go unnoticed by the media

What do you mean sis? I found this tragic incident from the media. There's probably thousands of people that try and cross the sea, so it would be hard to keep track of names and identify the dead :(

8 minutes ago, Entea said:

What do you mean sis? I found this tragic incident from the media. There's probably thousands of people that try and cross the sea, so it would be hard to keep track of names and identify the dead :(

but to the west these types of deaths aren't important, we will never learn their names or stories, this event will never be glorified because they aren't white, and because people don't like asylum seekers

10 minutes ago, ♚Missy♚ said:

but to the west these types of deaths aren't important, we will never learn their names or stories, this event will never be glorified because they aren't white, and because people don't like asylum seekers

But technology is playing a good part in spreading the news and so is the media. This story is trending on Facebook by the media and people that talk about it. I feel it's out of the media's hands to find their names due to the scale of the sea and the amount that are dying daily. I could be wrong tho since idk, in detail, what goes on in search operations.

22 minutes ago, ♚Missy♚ said:

Oh please. This was in the media.

also the fact you believe that everyone in the West is white. dead2

and of course incidents within the western world getting more attention simply because it affects us directly. 

Just now, Justin Bieber said:

Oh please. This was in the media.

also the fact you believe that everyone in the West is white. dead2

and of course incidents within the western world getting more attention simply because it affects us directly. 

The bombing in france affected americans directly? yea ok

nothing affects america directly but they like to think it does

11 hours ago, ♚Missy♚ said:

The bombing in france affected americans directly? yea ok

nothing affects america directly but they like to think it does

Now the west is only USA? 

But sis, idk if you already know it but USA and Europe belong both the same cultural sphere. 

I live few hours away from Paris and I'm not allowed to be more shocked about an attack on a city I'm visiting often? 

Just now, Justin Bieber said:

Now the west is only USA? 

But sis, idk if you already know it but USA and Europe belong both the same cultural sphere. 

I live few hours away from Paris and I'm not allowed to be more shocked about an attack on a city I'm visiting often? 

Listen, sis, you're doing way too much. YES THE WEST DOESN'T CARE IF PEOPLE IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES DIE. Having a trending topic for a few hours because people are talking about it =/= the western media giving a fuck. Tomorrow this story will be buried and forgotten like the million of other stories of people suffering/dying and they'll be back to talking about Kim K's suffering in Paris 3 months ago. aretha1

Just now, ♚Missy♚ said:

No lies told tbh. aretha1

1 hour ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

Listen, sis, you're doing way too much. YES THE WEST DOESN'T CARE IF PEOPLE IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES DIE. Having a trending topic for a few hours because people are talking about it =/= the western media giving a fuck. Tomorrow this story will be buried and forgotten like the million of other stories of people suffering/dying and they'll be back to talking about Kim K's suffering in Paris 3 months ago. aretha1

I highly doubt that people in the non-western world care when people die here. 

Anyway, about my country which is one of the most successful western country is frequently news about attacks in 3rd world country, of course people here in the western world care more when it affects us, because this is just normal.