QUINN

Obama commutes Chelsea Manning's 35 year sentence - she will be freed in May

Chelsea_Manning_with_wig.jpg

President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prisonat Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

Now, under the terms of Mr. Obama’s commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed in five months, on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045.

The commutation also relieved the Department of Defense of the difficult responsibility of her incarceration as she pushes for treatment for her gender dysphoria — including sex reassignment surgery — that the military has no experience providing.

In recent days, the White House had signaled that Mr. Obama was seriously considering granting Ms. Manning’s commutation application, in contrast to a pardon application submitted on behalf of the other large-scale leaker of the era, Edward J. Snowden, the former intelligence contractor who disclosed archives of top secret surveillance files and is living as a fugitive in Russia.

Source

Obama literally just saved her life. There's NO chance that Trump would have approved her petition, and the military would have most surely botched her gender dysphoria treatment. Given her recent history too, she would have likely attempted suicide again.

President Trump might pardon Snowden at some point, but this surprised me to a degree. 

Considering the diplomatic nightmare that she unleashed on the Obama State Departmemt - I would have thought that he would think twice about a full pardon. At any rate, I don't think this is over for her with the new Adminstration, Trump won't get in office in time to reverse Obama's pardon - but they're not going to make life easy for her. 

2 minutes ago, Mom said:

President Trump might pardon Snowden at some point, but this surprised me to a degree. 

Considering the diplomatic nightmare that she unleashed on the Obama State Departmemt - I would have thought that he would think twice about a full pardon. At any rate, I don't think this is over for her with the new Adminstration, Trump won't get in office in time to reverse Obama's pardon - but they're not going to make life easy for her. 

I assume this is why he waited until nearly the last possible day to pardon her um3 

Just now, QUINN said:

I assume this is why he waited until nearly the last possible day to pardon her um3 

It was probably very begrudgingly too - and likely from lobbying from LGTB groups alone. If he had his way, he probably would have kept her in prison for the rest of her life - the diplomatic cable leaks nearly destroyed relations with some countries. 

And this might not be the end of this, there are a few holes that Trump Adminstration, however very small, that they can use to keep her in prison - it all hinges on if her release comes before Trump is sworn in or not. 

Wait, I just reread it dead2 She's being released in May dead2

Trump can keep reverse this pardon if the actual physical document bearing Obama's signature dosent reach the warden of Fort Leavenworth until after Trump is sworn in. For Ms. Manning's  sake, she better hope the Government courier gets there in time. 

4 hours ago, Mom said:

Wait, I just reread it dead2 She's being released in May dead2

Trump can keep reverse this pardon if the actual physical document bearing Obama's signature dosent reach the warden of Fort Leavenworth until after Trump is sworn in. For Ms. Manning's  sake, she better hope the Government courier gets there in time. 

Tbh, I don't even think Trump knows about things like this. He'd be busy fucking around to even care. He's not even working till Saturday really.

43 minutes ago, Infrared said:

Tbh, I don't even think Trump knows about things like this. He'd be busy fucking around to even care. He's not even working till Saturday really.

He's actually not working until Monday.

"One of the first orders I'm gonna sign - day one - which I will consider to be Monday as opposed to Friday or Saturday. Right? I mean my day one is gonna be Monday because I don't want to be signing and get it mixed up with lots of celebration, but one of the first orders we're gonna be signing is gonna be strong borders."

laughcry1 

13 minutes ago, QUINN said:

He's actually not working until Monday.

"One of the first orders I'm gonna sign - day one - which I will consider to be Monday as opposed to Friday or Saturday. Right? I mean my day one is gonna be Monday because I don't want to be signing and get it mixed up with lots of celebration, but one of the first orders we're gonna be signing is gonna be strong borders."

laughcry1 

This sounds like something I write in an essay when I'm short of words to reach the minimum word limit.