Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Like a Prayer (1989)

Time to make some people happy and some people mad!

OZGpkT7.jpg

Spoiler

1. LIKE A PRAYER (5/5)
God this is an incredible track. Every single second from that intro to the choirs is flawfree; so powerful and dramatic. It's also nice to listen to a song that revolves around religion and love in such an uplifting way? Dare I say the best song from her 80s output? I do dare!

2. EXPRESS YOURSELF (5/5)
I truly believe in love after this song! It kind of takes everything that was great about her earlier dance tracks, and amps it up to new heights with an added feminist spin. Every hook is irresistible. I feel like running ten marathons after this song.

3. LOVE SONG (FT. PRINCE) (4.5/5)
I think I'm very alone on this sentiment if even Madge herself dislikes it but I love this song! Liam can suck my ass. It just has such a unique groove to it which is so different to everything she'd done previously and everything she would go to do. She serves melodies and a duet here for sure. It's a nice mid-way point between Madonna's synth-based sound Prince's more guitar/funk edge.

4. TILL DEATH DO US PART (5/5)
I really didn't know what to make of this song on first listen; I was leaning more towards hate. But here we are with 5 stars! I absolutely love the juxtaposition of the peppy, jumpy chorus and the darker, spoken word hook. A really stellar track altogether. The last minute in particular is great.

5. PROMISE TO TRY (4/5)
This song was kind of average on first listen, but I guess it's not until you follow the lyrics that it really stands out and becomes quite emotional. The little touches of orchestra and the short length of the song really make it special. Oh, and her lower register works so well on this song. Madge needed one of these in her discography.

6. CHERISH (4/5)
If any song from this album could've slotted in on True Blue it would be this one; not that that would be a bad thing of course! The melodies throughout the song are really gorgeous and is definitely one of the elements that boost this song up. It's good to have this gem in the middle of the record. The pre-chorus has been stuck in my head the whole week.

7. DEAR JESSIE (3/5)
Really not sure who Jessie is so if someone could educate me that would be fantastic! This song is really quite non-sensical in it's imagery but I guess that's the purpose of it? I don't hate it, in fact I quite like it. It's just odd, especially for Madge. The transition into the next track is a very nice touch.

8. OH FATHER (5/5)
Yes pour your heart out bitch! This track is so amazing and one of my favourites on the album. Definitely my favourite ballad at the very least. The orchestra works perfectly here and hits all the right notes to build up such an emotional landscape. The confessional lyrics are pretty powerful here which just help it soar. I also really love that is obviously not a perfect vocal performance but it still works so well?

9. KEEP IT TOGETHER (3.5/5)
By the standard the album had already set up, this song is a little underwhelming; but by no means is it a bad song. It was a nice touch to have a positive song that was family-oriented in contrast to songs like Promise to Try and Oh Father.

10. SPANISH EYES (5/5)
I'm glad I took the time to read the back-stories behind these songs because this one has a particularly touching one. The chorus of this track is one of the best moments of the album. I love Emodonna it seems! She really kills it in the second half of the song.

11. ACT OF CONTRITION (4/5)
This works so well as an outro to the album despite how seemingly random it is. The guitar, the choir sample, the drums, the reciting of the prayer, the last line. It's so... Madonna! I can't help but laugh when I listen to this but at the same time it's really great.

OVERALL - 88 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR

Like a Prayer - 88
True Blue - 79
Madonna - 75
Like a Virgin - 74

8 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

9. KEEP IT TOGETHER (5/5)
By the standard the album had already set up, this song is a little underwhelming; but by no means is it a bad song. It was a nice touch to have a positive song that was family-oriented in contrast to songs like Promise to Try and Oh Father.

fixed it for you mad2

3 minutes ago, John Wayne said:

it'll be the 00s where i'll drag you for filth wendy1

no one touches my tree little babies: music, american life and coadf wendy1 they all gotta score at least 90 wendy1

I haven't done second listens to any of them yet but I have a feeling two of them will not be getting above a 90. wendy1

1 minute ago, Lord Stoneheart said:

Agree on most scores except Love Song. It just doesnt sound like a madonna track for me

I can see why people don't like it that much; that reason included. But I guess talent keeps winning with the other scores. sia2

I kind of agree even tho I'm not fan of this album. I actually really love Keep It because it's funky and more positive than almost everything on this album, and maybe that's why I actually like it. lol I like some tracks like Promise To Try and Dear Jessie but I really get bored of them quick. 

Stan Express Yourself though! It's actually my favorite one from the whole album and it's a pity lots of fans here actually dislike it. scream1 

1 hour ago, Saiga said:

I kind of agree even tho I'm not fan of this album. I actually really love Keep It because it's funky and more positive than almost everything on this album, and maybe that's why I actually like it. lol I like some tracks like Promise To Try and Dear Jessie but I really get bored of them quick. 

Stan Express Yourself though! It's actually my favorite one from the whole album and it's a pity lots of fans here actually dislike it. scream1 

People don't stan Express Yourself? That's tragic. giveup1 Everything about it is fantastic.