Manel

Naomi Campbell Reviews: Lemonade

Hey girlies, today I was watching Beyoncé's performance at the VMA's (2016) and I think understood what Beyoncé was trying to say with Lemonade so get a cup of whatever you want and some snacks because this is going to be a long ride.

While I also believed the rumours of Lemonade being about her relationship with Jay-Z, now I believe it's about black women and the black community. Of course not every single black woman on earth has been cheated on, but Beyoncé is not focusing Lemonade on the "what" but on the "why". Keep in mind that in this review I'll say Beyoncé a lot, but I'm not always refering to her as herself, but as the character she's channeling.

(Please open the spoilers. It contains stuff that is important to understand completely this review and that was hidden just so that this post didn't look as cluttered)

source.gif

I think we all can understand the meaning behind Pray You Catch Mebut in case you don't get it, this song is about blind faith. Beyoncé is telling the story of a woman who knows her partner is cheating, but she still has faith that it might not be true (You know this when she ends the song with "What are you doing my love?". She knows what he's doing, she just doesn't want to believe it).

Hold Up and Don't Hurt Yourself  are about how media portrays black women. They're portrayed as loud (which in white would be considered passionate), often slighted by their partners yet still devoted to them, and kinda crazy. Since you can pretty much tell how Beyoncé is referencing to this by listening to the songs or watching the videos, I don't think I need to talk more about this.

bey.gif

Sorry and 6 INCH are really linked. Both are songs about black women being independent and needing no man. Following the storyline, Beyoncé's partner is calling her and sweet talking so that maybe they can be back together but Beyoncé ain't here for that. Beyoncé and her baby will be alright, because she's making her own money working while also dealing with everything surrounding her personal life. When Beyoncé says "call Becky with the good hair" as you all know, she's talking about a white woman. But this phrase has more to it than "call her to hookup". Beyoncé is showing how often men in general, and black men in particular, insult black women saying they would not date them, but would prefer to only use them for sex (LINK).

middle-fingers-up.gif

Daddy Lessons is the opposite thing. Beyoncé is juxtaposing how black men can treat black women poorly, but also will protect their daughters and mothers from other men.

Love Drought shows how important is the unity between black men and black women, but also how teaching black men to not express their emotions is something that creates a problem since they can be really stubborn and lack empathy with others and themselves. Let's look at some lyrics:

Spoiler

Ten times out of nine, I know you're lying
But nine times outta ten, I know you're trying 
So I'm trying to be fair (She knows he's trying to improve himself, so she'll give him a chance)
And you're trying to be there and to care (He's trying to do things the right way)
And you're caught up in your permanent emotions (Since he doesn't express his feelings and won't let go, his emotions are on a loop)
All the loving I've been giving goes unnoticed *
It's just floating in the air, lookie there
Are you aware you're my lifeline, are you tryna kill me *(She really cares for him, but his lack of appreciation for her love is killing her inside).

[...]

Cause you, you, you, you and me could move a mountain *
You, you, you, you and me could calm a war down *
You, you, you, you and me could make it rain now
You, you, you, you and me could stop this love drought *

(It's important to see how she repeats multiple times the "you" pronoun and includes herself at the end. This could mean that he can try to do the impossible, but he will only succeed if it's with her. They need to work together.)

[...]

I don't care about the lights or the beams
Spend my life in the dark for the sake of you and me (She would sacrifice herself and her happiness for their relationship)
Only way to go is up, them old bitches so wack *
I'm so tough, wassup? *(She's mocking his attitude acting like he doesn't need help.)

Sandcastles and Forward are about this couple being honest and forgiving not only eachother, but also themselvesLet's see the lyrics of Forward and you'll get what I'm saying:

Spoiler

Forward
Best foot first just in case
When we made our way 'til now
It's time to listen, it's time to fight (He has learned to listen to what she's saying, so that they can fight together and be stronger)
Forward
Now we're going to hold doors open for a while *
Now we can be open for a while * (They have nothing to hide, that's why they open their doors aka they're being honest with eachother)
Forward
I love you more than this job, please don't work for me (This means she wants to still be financially independent, but it's not because she doesn't trust him or love him, she just doesn't want to depend on a man)
Forward
Go back to your sleep in your favorite spot just next to me (When you sleep you're vulnerable to dangers, but next to her he doesn't have to fear anything)
Forward, forward

Freedom is the representation of the fight referenced in Forward. The black community is fighting for real freedom, and this time women will be there too in the front lines. Beyoncé's sending a message of unity and collaboration to fight for their rights as a community and individuals. It's really important the fact that Kendrick collabs in this song, since he's always been pretty vocal about the issues surrounding the black community.

giphy.gif

All Night is the song to the story Beyoncé has been telling in this album. It pretty much summarizes everything and you can clearly see it with the lyrics:

Spoiler

I found the truth beneath your lies
And true love never has to hide
Trade your broken wings for mine
I've seen your scars and kissed your crimes (She accepts him the way he is)

[...]

My love was stronger than your pride 
Beyond your darkness I'm your light
You get deep you touch my mind (When he's honest, she understands the way he behaves)
Baptize your tears and dry your eyes (He has to show his emotions so that he can move forward)

[...]

They say true love's the greatest weapon
To win the war caused by pain
But every diamond has imperfections *
But my love's too pure to watch it chip away * (No relationship is completely perfect, and that won't make her give up)

Boy nothing real can be threatened
True love breathes salvation back into me
With every tear came redemption (Every tear from him being honest about his emotions, made her reconsider her stand in Sorry)
And my torturer became my remedy (The man that made her cry, now makes her happy)

[...]

Oh, how I missed you my love... (This goes with the ending of Pray You Catch Me when she says "What are you doing my love?")

Formation represents Beyonce's relationship with media & tabloids. She's black and proud, successful and they won't stop her. Media has been bashing not only her, but also her family, saying that Jay is too ugly for her (mostly because of his black features) or that Blue Ivy's hair is nappy and that she should comb it. Beyoncé fights this racism with more exposure of black people being proud of their features and who they are.

And that's LEMONADE for Naomi Campbell.

Thanks for reading this hunties.

tumblr_nbhbjwiwXl1rtup1qo1_500.gif

NOTE: I'll be reviewing her VMA's performance soon, since I think it has a hidden message that most people didn't get.

14 minutes ago, Dangerous Jim said:

i thought this was the real naomi campbell

You'll never know.

xoxo, cell phone thrower.

ny7

39 minutes ago, Royalty said:

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY VERY SMART TO SEE THIS, IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE yas2 

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS REVIEW, YOU ARE ICONIC

OMG Thank you very much sis!

katyanna1