Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - Erotica (1992)

Grab your whips and chains, cause we're about to dive into Erotica!

dWFXChW.jpg

Spoiler

1. EROTICA (5/5)
This song introduces the album in such a perfect way: "Erotica, romance... My name is Dita, I'll be your mistress tonight... I'd like to put you in a trance". It has the perfect mix of the sensual and commanding whispers that would be found all throughout the album, as well as the sweet sung melodies. This is probably her best opener in terms of setting the mood for the rest of the record. Right off she's bat she's in your face, saving the innuendos for later.

2. FEVER (5/5)
This song has been re-done time and time again in pop music but none quite like this. Putting those sweet marimba-lounge beats under the lyrics was a genius move and makes this the best rendition of the song I've heard. Sorry Beyoncé. I also love her vocals throughout; they really hit some sweet spots. I was reading a lot of reviews and critics were saying that this was very out of place on the album, which I don't get at all.

3. BYE BYE BABY (3.5/5)
My main problem with this song is that the vocals sound a little off. Whether they've been mixed badly or that was intentional, I have no idea but it does take the score down a little. This is only a 'bad' song in the context of the album which you'll go on to see has close-to-or-actually-perfect scores. It's just simply not as strong. The bridge of this song is fantastic though.

4. DEEPER AND DEEPER (5/5)
God this deserves something bigger than a 5. Hands down my favourite track on the album. I actually think my heart starts racing everytime it plays. Every single fucking second of this track is infectious and perfect. Definitely one of Madonna's best in her discography so far. THAT CHORUS! Those violins and latin guitars that come later in the song just skyrocket this song. And a fucking Vogue reference. Can't get better.

5. WHERE LIFE BEGINS (5/5)
Perfection is continued with this song. Kind of takes off that understated bass sound really prominent on Bye Bye Baby with a sprinkle of jazz elements to create something amazing. Her vocal delivery on this track is perfect. Every whisper, every sentence. Lesbian perfection I tell you.

6. BAD GIRL (4.5/5)
I really underrated this song in my head for a while, but there's a lot of elements here to love. The melodies in that pre-chorus are so sweet, and it's great to have a song like this adding another lyrical dimension to the album. My only quarrel with this song is that it probably could've been shorter seeing as the last two minutes is just repetition of the same hooks. I think that's the only track I have a quarrel with in terms of song length.

7. WAITING (4/5)
I love the instrumental to this track a lot, especially that horn (?) sound that repeats throughout the song, and the piano riffs. There's a lot of those little details that are introduced as the track progresses to keep you on your toes. Again, it's nice to see her more emotional and yearning for something rather than the commanding role she takes on earlier in the album.

8. THIEF OF HEARTS (5/5)
Give me a Thief of Hearts / Gang Bang medley next tour Madge. Everything from 1:55 takes this song from a 4 to a 5. It takes on that dance/club/house-oriented sound of Deeper and Deeper which I'm a sucker for.

9. WORDS (4/5)
These choruses' are so infectious, ugh. How can you not be in love with them. I only wish the verses were just as strong as the hooks. Again, the second half really pushes the song to new heights in regards to the bridge and outro which I'm grateful for otherwise you have no business in making an album full of 5 minute+ songs.

10. RAIN (5/5)
Definitely another highlight from the album. This song verges on late 90s power-ballad territory but that's clearly not a bad thing. I love those drums and synths so damn much. Her lower register sounds so good in the verses of the song. If this had been in the context of True Blue this would harbour a totally different meaning. Those over-layed vocals get me every time. I just love this song so fucking much.

11. WHY'S IT SO HARD (4/5)
An interesting song to place on this album but it's welcome nonetheless. I guess this has a semi hip-hop edge especially in the verses and that's kind of reflected in the instrumental? The message of this track is pretty timeless, and particularly relevant today so it does strike a chord in your heart. Those male backing vocals throughout the track are a really nice touch.

12. IN THIS LIFE (4.5/5)
That slow-burning piano riff is really what makes this song. It's touching to see these tracks Madge had written about people she'd lost to AIDS; it was such an important issue back then and still is now. The spoken word outro is the perfect way to end the track.

13. SECRET GARDEN (4/5)
There's a subtlety to this song that kind of makes it the perfect closer among the house tracks and overtly sexual tunes. It's understated, a little bit whimsical but still sexy.

OVERALL - 90 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR
Erotica - 90
Like a Prayer - 88
True Blue - 79
Madonna - 75
Like a Virgin - 74

6 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

OVERALL - 90 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR
Erotica - 90
Like a Prayer - 88
True Blue - 79
Madonna - 75
Like a Virgin - 74

This is wrong on so many levels. oh wow...oh wow...

GIFBin Image

11 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Grab your whips and chains, cause we're about to dive into Erotica!

dWFXChW.jpg

Hide contents

2. FEVER (5/5)
This song has been re-done time and time again in pop music but none quite like this. Putting those sweet marimba-lounge beats under the lyrics was a genius move and makes this the best rendition of the song I've heard. Sorry Beyoncé. I also love her vocals throughout; they really hit some sweet spots. I was reading a lot of reviews and critics were saying that this was very out of place on the album, which I don't get at all.

6. BAD GIRL (4.5/5)
I really underrated this song in my head for a while, but there's a lot of elements here to love. The melodies in that pre-chorus are so sweet, and it's great to have a song like this adding another lyrical dimension to the album. My only quarrel with this song is that it probably could've been shorter seeing as the last two minutes is just repetition of the same hooks. I think that's the only track I have a quarrel with in terms of song length.

9. WORDS (4/5)
These choruses' are so infectious, ugh. How can you not be in love with them. I only wish the verses were just as strong as the hooks. Again, the second half really pushes the song to new heights in regards to the bridge and outro which I'm grateful for otherwise you have no business in making an album full of 5 minute+ songs.

10. RAIN (5/5)
Definitely another highlight from the album. This song verges on late 90s power-ballad territory but that's clearly not a bad thing. I love those drums and synths so damn much. Her lower register sounds so good in the verses of the song. If this had been in the context of True Blue this would harbour a totally different meaning. Those over-layed vocals get me every time. I just love this song so fucking much.

13. SECRET GARDEN (4/5)
There's a subtlety to this song that kind of makes it the perfect closer among the house tracks and overtly sexual tunes. It's understated, a little bit whimsical but still sexy.

You basically gave all my least favourites 5s and all my faves except Fever and Rain a 4. jj4 

Just now, John Wayne said:

if erotica got 90, i expect music, AL and COADF to get like... idk, 95+ maybe jj2

You have high expectations for Music and AL. rip2 There's only two other albums that I can see scraping a 90, possibly three.

17 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

2. FEVER (5/5)

Finally someone stans this masterpiece! oprah4 I love it so much, it's one of my favorite Madonna songs tbh oprah4 

Just now, Lachlan said:

Tea!

Why do you hate the most talented songs. oprah13

I hate how underwhelming songs like Waiting, Erotica and Where Life Begins are in the sense that they have that dated New Jack Swing sound (which I hate to a fucking passion) to them and spoken verses. jj4 Like...what happened to the singing? Was she too damn lazy to write proper melodies? Like, it bugs me so much cause those songs could have been good.

The album imo just attempted to be as shocking and controversial as possible while forgetting about the actual quality of the music.

I would like to add, however that Janet blatantly ripped off this entire album when she did janet. eve1 It's literally a fucking carbon copy and then she had the audacity to say that compared to Madonna what she does has "class to it".

4 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

WAIT @Salvatore HOW DO YOU HATE DEEPER AND DEEPER. oprah13

I don't...I just...don't think it's that great. hay1 It's a 8/10 for me. I think it just didn't age well just like this entire album. But I am a bit biased cause I'm not a great fan of early 90's music in general.

2 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Finally someone stans this masterpiece! oprah4 I love it so much, it's one of my favorite Madonna songs tbh oprah4 

SAME OMG! cry1 I don't understand why it gets so much hate. I mean...she really took this overdone classic and made it her own. 

1 minute ago, Salvatore said:

I hate how underwhelming songs like Waiting, Erotica and Where Life Begins are in the sense that they have that dated New Jack Swing sound (which I hate to a fucking passion) to them and spoken verses. jj4 Like...what happened to the singing? Was she too damn lazy to write proper melodies? Like, it bugs me so much cause those songs could have been good.

The album imo just attempted to be as shocking and controversial as possible while forgetting about the actual quality of the music.

Well I guess if you're not a fan of that sound/early 90s you're not going to be in love with this album. dead2 I don't really mind that some of it sounds quite dated because so does her 80s music and it's still great. There's not a lot of music that isn't going to age. Agree to disagree I guess!