Brightflower

My Love is Your Love:Album Review

My Love is Your Love:Review

Whitney was a legendary singer who had some of the biggest, most memorable hits from the 80s and 90s, yet it dawned on me rather quickly that her discography was...well...not-so-legendary. Lets be honest, Whitney's two first albums were weak and I Look to You and The Bodyguard ST are no better. And this is coming from her biggest stans for those who now me. Yet when she released MLIYL, the critics were widely acceptant of the project-and so was I.

My Love is Your Love is a classical R&B album in which Whitney seemed to focus on not only the type of music of the period, but of what she wanted for a change. For the first time in her career, I think Whitney finally was able to release material that she picked/liked and that was overall great. To me, it was an artistic growth from basic, dry songs like Someone for Me(debut album,1985) to great jams like Heartbreak Hotel. Before i get to the most important part in my opinion, lets see some of the album's highlights.

Like I said earlier, Heartbreak Hotel is a great song, which a change of lyrics from her other studio works. The title track was also an outstanding song. The simple beat, love lyrics and smiling Whitney video make it a masterpiece, truly. Its Not right but its okay,Oh yes,My Business and I Learned from the Best are also amazingly crafted tracks. Now the best song on the album was You'll Never Stand Alone. It is the final album track, and to me, its the best way to end an album where you've really hit the jackpot. The lyrics alone will make you emotional and many will say it sounds like a typical Whitney song, i think it remains one of her best ballads. And lets not forget the incredible duet with Queenriah Carey, When You Believe which is one of Whitney's best gospel-driven songs.

Now for the important part:her voice. Whitney is known for bringing down the house, whether recording or live, yet beginning after the Bodyguard era, she began to falter-and fast. by 1997, her voice was nearly torn from illness, constent performances around the world and the use of drugs. Critics say her voice on this album was healthy,with "a bite" to it. And i agree, but at time, her belts were a bit too raspy and unconnected. Yet she sounded phenominal on When You Believe and Youll never Stand alone remains the best vocal perfromance on that album. Really, its that beautiful. For those who cant see how good she sounded in this era, its a true shame.

So overall, this album is Whitney's best work and i hope many thinks as I do.

Vocals:A

Production:B+

Lyrics:B+

Overall:A-

GIFBin Image