ajp

HMV Canada to Close Down (Some Leases Picked-up by Sunrise)

2 minutes ago, ajp said:

Management is done. The Liquidators are in charge. They'll start with 10% off everything. Get those deals! cry9

Do you think they'll still let me use my pure points?

wendycry5qjei.gif

I used some today to get money off of a vinyl duster thingy. But I guess the word that they were officially closing didn't go public til a few hours later

wendycry5qjei.gif

15 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

Do you think they'll still let me use my pure points?

wendycry5qjei.gif

I used some today to get money off of a vinyl duster thingy. But I guess the word that they were officially closing didn't go public til a few hours later

wendycry5qjei.gif

I don't know. Usually during liquidation, those things are suspended. If you have a gift card, I'd use that first. But ask them.

I want some vinyl - I may check it out this weekend wendy1

4 minutes ago, ajp said:

I don't know. Usually during liquidation, those things are suspended. If you have a gift card, I'd use that first. But ask them.

I want some vinyl - I may check it out this weekend wendy1

Ugh I hope they let me use the last of my points. I have enough to get like 6 dollars off right now I think

11 minutes ago, Breathless Mahoney said:

I have like $25 in points so I'll feel a bit betrayed as a loyal customer if they don't... jj4 

The pure hmv website is still up and has no reference to the liquidation. So that is a good sign that the program is still operating. 

7 hours ago, Breathless Mahoney said:

I have like $25 in points so I'll feel a bit betrayed as a loyal customer if they don't... jj4 

7 hours ago, Aidan. said:

I think I might call and ask tomorrow jj4

6 hours ago, ajp said:

The pure hmv website is still up and has no reference to the liquidation. So that is a good sign that the program is still operating. 

Wait mess  I'm working today. There's a HMV in the mall I work at - I'm gonna go ask them today

10 hours ago, ajp said:

I'm gutted. 

ahs1

HMV was the last music retailer. 

Sam The Record Man - gone.

Music World - gone.

Sunrise - gone.

Target - gone.

Future Shop - gone.

BestBuy - doesn't sell CDs

WalMart - who cares? 

fall2

Sunrise is gone too?! Wtf one just opened here not long ago.

this makes me so sad. I still buy physical albums ny3 

7 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

Yes, just about. I think it's gonna be Xtinct very soon though. 

That's so sad :(

I LOVED Going into HMV (And Virgin) when I would go on a trip to The UK back in the 2000's. They always had soooo much stuff and I loved buying the singles from there too.

1 minute ago, Aidan. said:

That's so sad :(

I LOVED Going into HMV (And Virgin) when I would go on a trip to The UK back in the 2000's. They always had soooo much stuff and I loved buying the singles from there too.

Remember when you had to make difficult decisions about which album or single to buy? Not only because they were so expensive but also because there was so much music you wanted. I miss those days.

3 hours ago, Tyler said:

Sunrise is gone too?! Wtf one just opened here not long ago.

this makes me so sad. I still buy physical albums ny3 

They have about 6-8 locations in smaller Ontario markets - but they closed down all their other locations. They are owned by Jean Machine which helps them stay afloat. Now with HMV gone, they'll do fine. They need to reopen on Yonge St, but in a smaller footprint. It would do well. rav3

I was also thinking how this closing will have an effect on Canadian Music (in general). It will be harder for indie labels to stay afloat and the indie bands don't have any access to the market. 

They talk about the 1,000 jobs being lost, but for the industry in Canada it could resonate beyond the HMV chain. cry9

Good News cheer1

TORONTO — Sunrise Records is placing a major bet on Canadian music sales with plans to move into 70 retail spaces being vacated by HMV Canada.

The Ontario-based music retail chain has negotiated new leases with mall landlords across the country.

Sunrise's expansion gives the company a quick foothold in the Canadian music scene just as the industry's largest retailer closes shop. Stores will begin to open this spring after HMV liquidates and removes its signs.

"It's a good opportunity for us to get a lot more stores open,'' Sunrise Records president Doug Putman told The Canadian Press in an interview.

"We think there needs to be a great outlet across Canada to buy music.''

11 minutes ago, ajp said:

Good News cheer1

TORONTO — Sunrise Records is placing a major bet on Canadian music sales with plans to move into 70 retail spaces being vacated by HMV Canada.

The Ontario-based music retail chain has negotiated new leases with mall landlords across the country.

Sunrise's expansion gives the company a quick foothold in the Canadian music scene just as the industry's largest retailer closes shop. Stores will begin to open this spring after HMV liquidates and removes its signs.

"It's a good opportunity for us to get a lot more stores open,'' Sunrise Records president Doug Putman told The Canadian Press in an interview.

"We think there needs to be a great outlet across Canada to buy music.''

Wow not Sunrise coming in to take over as Top Dog after they themselves were pretty much gone jj4

Regardless - I'm thrilled by this news. I would die without a place to buy KM14 jj2