Rebel Bitch

Why Won’t We Let Madonna Age the Way She Wants To?

One person who consistently falls on the other end of the age conversation? Madonna. When she strutted into the Alexander Wang show in September with her college-age daughter, Lourdes, in tow, they almost looked like classmates, not mother and daughter. Madonna was flaunting a lace corset and track pants, while her daughter wore a turtleneck. At the after-party, she was having more fun than anyone, even donning a branded beer helmet. But everything about Madonna — the red-carpet flashing, the “new new face,” the string of younger boyfriends — seems to bring out criticism that she’s not aging in the “right” way, which seems to mean that she’s just refusing to settle into a role as a grande dame.

ff7c68de1458c6b70bd175ddbc6f6912.jpg

Still, we can hope that maybe Madonna is creating a new playbook for how to age, a freer one that those a generation younger than she — like Beyoncéand Lady Gaga — are already starting to follow. Think of her as the rocky test case for this new approach. Musto predicts that soon, “it’s going to be ingrained in our society that a woman can be sexy in her 50s, 60s, and so on. And Madonna can be thanked for having paved the way for that.”

Read more: http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/02/madonna-aging-sexism.html

And its always perfect to post this iconic interview