Lachlan

#LachlanREVIEWS - American Life (2003)

It's not one of her best albums; get over it.

rBY0kdE.jpg

1. AMERICAN LIFE (5/5)
Opening the album with the strongest song leaves unmet expectations but anywho! Madonna's biggest statement regarding modern-day life, celebrity and the media; and it's quite excellent. I do think there are some moments that are a bit conceited, but they're just little portions of lyrics that I can overlook overall. The production is really great on this song, the sung-rap bridge elevates the track, and the distorted background vocals especially in the last minute of the song are excellent.

2. HOLLYWOOD (4/5)
Though it's not quite as folky, the prominent guitar and electronic mix really calls back to Music, and when the songs aren't utterly amazing, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth like some of these tracks are just session rejects. That being said, this song isn't short of catchy hooks and satire lyrics so it's not a loss by any means. In fact, I quite like it. 

3. I'M SO STUPID (3/5)
This track starts off quite promising; especially when those layered vocoder vocals come in at the 30 second mark. Then the guitars come in and it all seems to be going well. But, it kind of just falls flat from there on in... I wish there was a couple more moments like that of the layered vocals throughout the track.

4. LOVE PROFUSION (3.5/5)
I heard from someone, cough Liam, that everyone hails this song as one of the best on the album; but I don't get it! Again, it's a good song, just not particularly fantastic. However, it does tip-toe into ballad territory without diving in, which is something I really love.

5. NOBODY KNOWS ME (3/5)
I'm obsessed the instrumental to this track; it's got quite a club essence to it and is probably the best quality of the song. It reminds me of an American Life spin on Impressive Instant, which is better than labelling it a reject I guess!

6. NOTHING FAILS (3.5/5)
If she took the best elements of Love Profusion, and combined it with the second half of this song, it would've been really amazing. Sadly, they're two separated songs with different lyrical content so my fantasy will never be fulfilled! I do like this song though. The assistance of the choir was something that caught me so off guard on my first few listens in such a good way. It's unique to the album and makes for a standout moment.

7. INTERVENTION (3/5)
Oh great, another song that starts out solely with a guitar... Lyrically, the song is quite positive which never goes astray. I also really like her vocal delivery on the song. However, there's some weird noise during the chorus that sounds like crickets that I can't unhear and it's unpleasant. It's just not that strong. Fight me!

8. X-STATIC PROCESS (4.5/5)
This is one of the highlights on the album for me in a lyrical sense. Although it's quite simple, it's relatable and her vocals sound fragile, making it feel more intimate and special than Intervention. The organ is a welcome instrument to the record as well.

9. MOTHER AND FATHER (4/5)
On my first few listens I would have given this song a 5, but I think it's just because it was a breath of fresh air among the album which felt a little same-y at some points. It's still a great track though. Good to her a song about her parents that isn't a ballad too.

10. DIE ANOTHER DAY (4.5/5)
I had no idea this gem was a Bond theme. It high-key contains the best production of the album which can tend to feel a little cheap at times. The stuttered melodies, the strings, the intensity of the song... Everything is just really good.

11. EASY RIDE (4.5/5)
It begins in a similar fashion to the other acoustic-based songs on the record, but after the first verse those sweet strings come in and turn into something a little dramatic. Easily another highlight from the album. The distortion and chopping up of the strings towards the end is brilliant.

OVERALL - 77 on Lachlancritic

---

ALBUM RANKING SO FAR
Ray of Light - 97
Bedtime Stories / Erotica - 90
Like a Prayer - 88
Music - 85
True Blue - 79
American Life - 77
Madonna - 75
Like a Virgin - 74

1 minute ago, PhCh said:

Well it's at least higher than her debut rip2 This album is like her most polarizing, people either love it or hate it. I'm from the former group, hope you can join us soon jj2 

I don't know if it's polarising; more like it's just not as good. There are obvious flaws and nuances throughout the album that are lacklustre or annoying. I won't be bumping the score at any point in the future.

inesrebola.gif