Living Dead Boy

Buzzfeed Defends Brit

Please don't turn this into Battlegrounds thread. I've had people ask what happened and this article explains the situation.

It also doesn't bash Katy, it merely points out that her comments are insensitive and not funny.

Dear Katy Perry, Please Stop

It’s time to move on and get some new “jokes.

Katy’s first Britney head-shaving dig happened in 2010 in a radio interview with Radio 2.

In the interview, Katy alludes to the fact that she won’t have a breakdown, but may shave her head someday:

“My first record didn’t take off until I was 23 so I was perhaps in a different headspace to someone who became successful at a younger age. If you’re starting at 14 or 15 your maturity hasn’t fully evolved. I’m not going to say I won’t mess up, because someday I might want to shave my head. But not today because I’ll get sunburn! I’m lucky because I have a great support system.”

In another radio interview, she brought up the head-shaving thing again:

Spoiler

“It’s like being number one and being hot is a lot to live up to. I’m gonna shave my head next year. I can’t handle the pressure… beating up your car with an umbrella.”

Then, in 2015, in an interview with Elle, Katy brought up the head-shaving yet AGAIN. She said: “You think you signed up for one thing, but you automatically sign up for a hundred others. And that is why you see people shaving their fucking heads.”

And LAST, at the Grammys last night, Katy brought up shaving her head TWICE.

Spoiler

When talking about her hair color, Katy said: “It’s like the last color in the spectrum (blonde.) I’ve done all of ‘em. The only thing left to do is shave my head which I’m really saving for a public breakdown. I’m down for that.”

THEN, with Ryan Seacrest, she explained why she took a break from music: “Well, that’s called taking care of my mental health… I haven’t shaved my head yet!”

Britney has said nice things about Katy in the past too. Katy co-wrote her 2013 song “Passenger” from the album Britney Eugene. Britney said Katy was “amazing.”

Katy seems to appreciate Brit and gushed over meeting her several years ago.

sub-buzz-21322-1487002708-1.png?no-auto

Source.

1 minute ago, Alek said:

So she didn't mention umbrella?

I don't think Katy is shading her, maybe she does what we as her fans also do, so it's not that big of a deal, and Brit's tweet might be random. 

She did, in the first video with audio from an interview.

“It’s like being number one and being hot is a lot to live up to. I’m gonna shave my head next year. I can’t handle the pressure… beating up your car with an umbrella.”

I don't think Katy means it as shade either, but it's really insensitive and not at all funny. Especially a decade later.

And while Brit's bible verse post may be random it's a funny coincidence.

7 hours ago, Alek said:

So she didn't mention umbrella?

I don't think Katy is shading her, maybe she does what we as her fans also do, so it's not that big of a deal, and Brit's tweet might be random. 

don't applaud mental health shaming. if you're a supporter of that then you're just as terrible of a person as that two faced slut. 

and the quote is about HER don't act dumb. 

there's a special place in hell for katy. 

16 hours ago, Living Dead Boy said:

She did, in the first video with audio from an interview.

I don't think Katy means it as shade either, but it's really insensitive and not at all funny. Especially a decade later.

And while Brit's bible verse post may be random it's a funny coincidence.

I don't know what to say, I feel confused. cry9

I love you sis. cry9

Hold me. cry9 

I just want to preface this by saying that I ADORE both of these artists and they're two of my absolute faves.

I can see why this has upset some people, because Britney's breakdown is a rightfully sensitive issue. It absolutely was a mental health problem due to the insane overexposure, paparazzi stalking, etc.. And I agree that jokes about the breakdown are tired and need to be stopped.

But I SERIOUSLY do not believe that Katy meant this in any sort of "nasty" or "vile" way. Whether it was interpreted as such is up to who you are and how you feel about it, but I think most people agree that Katy wouldn't knowingly make fun of her colleague and (I'm assuming) friend like that. Plus, in a lot of these interviews where she mentions head shaving and whatnot, I think she's talking more about the problems with the industry itself than making a joke at Britney's expense.

Katy has always had an irreverent and politically incorrect sense of humor, so this kind of comment shouldn't really be taken that seriously given her personality. Like it or not, Britney's meltdown IS an iconic moment, and is widely referenced by pretty much everybody. Of course, it would be for the best if Katy stopped referencing it, but to call her an evil person over THIS is a bit of reach if you ask me.

22 hours ago, Liz Lemon said:

I just want to preface this by saying that I ADORE both of these artists and they're two of my absolute faves.

I can see why this has upset some people, because Britney's breakdown is a rightfully sensitive issue. It absolutely was a mental health problem due to the insane overexposure, paparazzi stalking, etc.. And I agree that jokes about the breakdown are tired and need to be stopped.

But I SERIOUSLY do not believe that Katy meant this in any sort of "nasty" or "vile" way. Whether it was interpreted as such is up to who you are and how you feel about it, but I think most people agree that Katy wouldn't knowingly make fun of her colleague and (I'm assuming) friend like that. Plus, in a lot of these interviews where she mentions head shaving and whatnot, I think she's talking more about the problems with the industry itself than making a joke at Britney's expense.

Katy has always had an irreverent and politically incorrect sense of humor, so this kind of comment shouldn't really be taken that seriously given her personality. Like it or not, Britney's meltdown IS an iconic moment, and is widely referenced by pretty much everybody. Of course, it would be for the best if Katy stopped referencing it, but to call her an evil person over THIS is a bit of reach if you ask me.

Or, we can simply call a spade a spade and call it a day. Katy's a fake ass bitch and that's all there is to it. brit10 

On 2/15/2017 at 4:51 AM, Alek said:

I don't know what to say, I feel confused. cry9

I love you sis. cry9

Hold me. cry9 

It's okay to call out your faves or be angry at them when they mess up. It doesn't mean you have to stop loving them or anything like that - you don't always agree with or support everything they do/say though and that's okay.

katyanna1 

2 hours ago, Anna-wa said:

It's okay to call out your faves or be angry at them when they mess up. It doesn't mean you have to stop loving them or anything like that - you don't always agree with or support everything they do/say though and that's okay.

katyanna1 

It's hard. cry9