Infrared

Why have a song about John Wayne & Black Lives Matter on the same album

wendy1 

After watching I Am Not Your Negro, I got the real tea about Mr. John Wayne.

@Earth Ripper @Jjang This mess wendy1 

Why idolize a known white supremacist 

In May 1971, Playboy magazine published an interview with Wayne which resulted in a firestorm of controversy. Wayne expressed his support for the Vietnam War,[4]:580 and made headlines for his resolute opinions about social issues and race relations in the United States:

I believe in white supremacy, until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people ... I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from [the Native Americans] ... Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves

Donald Trump has picked up a major endorsement. No, not that one, at least not yet. Western movie star John Wayne’s daughter has endorsed Trump, assuring voters that she’s doing what her late father would have done if he’d been around to do it.

"The reason that I'm here to support Mr. Trump is because America needs help," she said. "And we need a strong leader. And we need someone like Mr. Trump with leadership qualities, somebody with courage, someone that's strong like John Wayne."

She added: "If John Wayne were around, he'd be standing right here instead of me."

Trump said he was a "longtime fan" of John Wayne.

As for the song itself, I assume she just wanted to use your stereotypical cowboy name, and for most people John Wayne is the first name that comes up. I'd hope that if she knew these details, she would've titled it something different and removed the references to him

3 minutes ago, Hylia said:

As for the song itself, I assume she just wanted to use your stereotypical cowboy name, and for most people John Wayne is the first name that comes up. I'd hope that if she knew these details, she would've titled it something different and removed the references to him

I wonder if that is the reason it wasn't performed on the Super Bowl interesting1 

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

My father idolizes this bastard and always begs me to watch his movies with him. Glad I never caved in. tina1

I think I've only seen Rio Lobo, which was all right. I would be willing to see The Searchers and Rio Bravo though. He actually played Genghis Khan in one movie lol

6_johnwayne.jpg

5 hours ago, Anna-wa said:

I'll be honest, I had thought he was just a character she made up for the album. I didn't know he was a real person. Kind of like Alejandro.

But that's really disappointing.

dead0

John Wayne is simply an old American Western idol. If you think of a cowboy you think "John Wayne". He's the definition of "cowboy" haha. 

Yes he was bad man, but he is still seen as the epitome of a "Western-American" of his time. I'm confident this is why Gaga used his name because it's simply synonomys with "cowboy", not because she endorsed the actual John Wayne mad5

9 minutes ago, SWINΞ said:

dead0

John Wayne is simply an old American Western idol. If you think of a cowboy you think "John Wayne". He's the definition of "cowboy" haha. 

Yes he was bad man, but he is still seen as the epitome of a "Western-American" of his time. I'm confident this is why Gaga used his name because it's simply synonomys with "cowboy", not because she endorsed the actual John Wayne mad5

Sorry I don't keep up with old Republican idols mad5 but okay good to know I guess mad5 

I like to HOPE she didn't endorse the actual John Wayne but it still isn't a good look. That's all. I don't hate her for this (or at all) but yeah... mad5