Liam

#LiamREVIEWS - Kylie (1988)

x7QFxfb.jpg

1. I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY (8/10)

A slick mix of new wave with dance-pop that with Kylie’s vocals sounds almost bubblegum-ish. The song lacks lyrically but that is made up for in the energy of the song which is generally uplifting

2. THE LOCOMOTION (3/10)

The cheesiness of this song is intended but taking this song seriously is a struggle. Lyrics like ‘chugga chug like a locomotion train’ make me cringe continuously. The excessive ‘come ons’ in every chorus makes me even less inclined to groove to this song

3. I STILL LOVE YOU (JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI) (8/10)

A beautiful pop ballad that incorporates minor dance-pop elements smoothly. The synthesisers are gorgeous, creating a atmospheric like feel to the song. The lyrics are incredibly sappy but the cheesiness works. 

4. ITS NO SECRET (3/10)

Boring, uninspiring lyrics matched with overly basic production, it’s no secret this song is atrocious. Even the background vocalists are out of tune and disinterested. Her vocals are grating through the entirety of this track

5. GOT TO BE CERTAIN (8/10)

It’s hard not to love this track. It’s Kylie at her funnest, prancing through the basic lyrics and turning them into uplifting gold. The production is interesting, from the claps to the jazz elements. Enjoyable from start to finish

6. TURN IT INTO LOVE (7/10)

The song has catchy melodies and hooks that make it enjoyable. The production is basic but not bland. Her vocals strain constantly throughout this song but it isn’t overly obvious and irritating like in Its No Secret

7. I MISS YOU (4/10)

Absolute filler. The introduction is engaging but lasts about four seconds before the song gets dragged into a boring, bland three minute generic 80s pop song that seems lazily put together. The production and melodies are simple which hinder this track from being interesting

8. I'LL STILL BE LOVING YOU (5/10)

A nonsensical, random collection of sounds mixed with recycled production tricks used throughout the album. The fact it’s a mid-tempo does it no favours because the flaws of the song are more obvious as you listen. There are parts of production which are nice that save the song from being terrible

9. LOOK MY WAY (6/10)

A once again basic, bland beat but listenable. Her voice doesn’t try to bend for notes she can’t hit unlike some of the tracks. The melodies are smooth which make it a enjoyable listen

10. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT (7/10)

The inferior Love At First Sight sounds like a Love Makes The World Go Round redux in parts of the production. The melody however is overly catchy and is one of the most polished pop tracks on the album

OVERALL - 59 on Liamcritic

---

ALBUM RANKING
Kylie Minogue - 92
Impossible Princess - 89
Body Language - 85
Fever - 81
Rhythm of Love - 73
Lets Get To It - 72
X/Light Years - 71
Kylie - 59
Enjoy Yourself - 58

4 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

Milo Yiannopoulachlan keeps trying but  36201.png?t=1487619794 keeps winning! hope it was worth losing that book deal  Gdi58Sr.gif

I have no idea who Milo is but if it's the Australian chocolate milk powder than thats fucking rank and disgusting just like Locomotion Gdi58Sr.gif

6 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

Honestly this format feels quite... reductive.

lrVxBFh.gif

And it doesn't help that you think Je Ne Sais Poo is the best song on the album.

lrVxBFh.gif

I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine

lrVxBFh.gif

Je Ne God is the best song on the album. Try to show me otherwise

lrVxBFh.gif 

26 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

Drag Locomotive.

lrVxBFh.gif

Lucky being less than a 10 though, that's not cute.

lrVxBFh.gif

Thank god someone else doesn't stan that piece of railway trash

lrVxBFh.gif 

That song should so lucky it got a 8

lrVxBFh.gif