Katy Petty

Convert me hennys

Sooo this is my first time ever being in the Lana section so hi all jj4 

I was bored on the trolley ride and decided to check out some music so I clicked on a spotify playlist of things that I might like and I was introduced to the masterpiece that was Gods and Monsters giveup1  I was SLAIN. I never paid attention to Lana but now I regret it. Im really interested in her now and decided to ask you guys on what I should listen to or what her best songs are. jj5 

Born to Die is by far her most digestable album. Listen to the deluxe version in full, tons of good tracks. Paradise EP is very mediocre, some good tracks (Gods & Monsters, Cola) don't make up for its tiresome filler-ridden rest (Yayo, Body Electric, Bel Air are some of her worst tracks EVER). Ride is very meh, personally I don't like it but it is typical Lana. Ultraviolence I would also recommend listening to in full although it takes a lot more effort to get into and the tracks are definitely mundane at time, but it contains her best song EVER (West Coast) and some really good tracks (Old Money is called overrated by every pretentious Lana stan but it's still a great song and one of my favorites off the album), Fucked My Way Up To the Top, Shades of Cool, Cruel World are all good ones. I like to pretend Honeymoon doesn't exist but some tracks (High By the Beach, Music To Watch Boys To, God Knows I Tried, Salvatore) aren't bad. Most of the tracks are extremely mundane and aren't noteworthy at all though so overall I think the album is tiring and not representative of her strongest work. Lana really thrives on some of her unreleased and soundtrack songs as well so definitely check out that (Young and Beautiful, Big Eyes, Summer Wine, Chelsea Hotel, etc.)

Honestly, based on you liking Gods & Monsters so much I'd watch this, you get to taste the full Lana package, I'd say that's a really good way to see if you dig her general aesthetic and artistry, and it includes that song as well as several brilliant others bey5

And then there's this absolute beauty:

That's not me saying that Lana's music is unimpressive without a video (it absolutely is) but these video's in particular really lifted my appreciation for her from "she has nice songs" to "she is an incredible artist" cry5

7 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

Well I don't consider them part of the GP, considering they can recognise a good record 

jj4

I mean, that's a weird statement (how are professional music journalists part of the stereotypical GP) in itself, but it also doesn't match your first post. You said only stans could love it, and now you're saying it's everyone but the stans who are loving it, and you then discredit that appreciation too bey1 My pov on the matter is: HM is her least generic album with the least amount of radio pop influences, which is exactly why so many stans can't appreciate it. That's not on them, but can y'all please stop pretending that album wasn't appreciated for valid subjective reasons by a ton of people, incl. non-fans, it's annoying, esp. when there's someone asking to hear more of her stuff. Let them decide for themselves.

14 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

jj4

I mean, that's a weird statement (how are professional music journalists part of the stereotypical GP) in itself, but it also doesn't match your first post. You said only stans could love it, and now you're saying it's everyone but the stans who are loving it, and you then discredit that appreciation too bey1 My pov on the matter is: HM is her least generic album with the least amount of radio pop influences, which is exactly why so many stans can't appreciate it. That's not on them, but can y'all please stop pretending that album wasn't appreciated for valid subjective reasons by a ton of people, incl. non-fans, it's annoying, esp. when there's someone asking to hear more of her stuff. Let them decide for themselves.

Wat brit10 I said the only people who I've seen love it are stans. Then, when you pointed out the fact it has great reviews, I included professional music journalists who I don't consider part of the GP because they're trained to see past what is trending or radio friendly.

'Well I don't consider them part of the GP, considering they can recognise a good record' - I meant this to mean journalists because you were referencing critical reviews. I only just realised I never actually mentioned that. Regardless, it's still my favourote Lana record.

EDIT: Don't know when I did what is bold in your post tho brit10 

DOUBLE EDIT: I really don't get your response as a whole. i didn't do pretty much everything you said dead4 

3 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

I meant this to mean journalists because you were referencing critical reviews. I only just realised I never actually mentioned that. Regardless, it's still my favourote Lana record.

I thought with "them" you were still referring to the stans jj4 Since you said most stans don't like the album, I assumed this meant you didn't like it either and you meant that the stans can recognize a good record (in this case a bad one) unlike non-stans, incl. reviewers oprah5 It's my favorite album too, so sorry moo5

I just don't like this bad rep it gets. Only this fanbase would disregard near unanimous critical acclaim and say that interested people should only listen to the albums that actually weren't well liked ayumi1 But sorry, I misread.

21 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

I thought with "them" you were still referring to the stans jj4 Since you said most stans don't like the album, I assumed this meant you didn't like it either and you meant that the stans can recognize a good record (in this case a bad one) unlike non-stans, incl. reviewers oprah5 It's my favorite album too, so sorry moo5

I just don't like this bad rep it gets. Only this fanbase would disregard near unanimous critical acclaim and say that interested people should only listen to the albums that actually weren't well liked ayumi1 But sorry, I misread.

I can see how my reply could be taken out of context ayumi1 I just suggested BTD: P because he said he liked Gods and Monsters. Honeymoon as you've said has the acclaim but I just don't know many casual listeners who have heard it/liked it ayumi1 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont listen to ha OP she drinks

Sooo this is my first time ever being in the Lana section so hi all   I was bored on the trolley ride and decided to check out some music so I clicked on a spotify playlist of things that I might

You did not just call Bel Air, one of her best songs ever, one of her worst 

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.