Benji

Critics PRAISING Roar Performance

Katy Perry Makes Brooklyn 'Roar' With Epic VMA Finale

PRISM singer brings 2013 Video Music Awards to an epic close with a fierce performance of 'Roar.'

"Rough, tough and ready to rumble" is right. Katy Perry delivered an uproar-worthy rendition of her hit single "Roar" underneath the Brooklyn Bridge in an epic closing performance to this year's Video Music Awards.

"I like to have the last word," Perry told MTV News' Christina Garibaldi earlier Sunday of having the honor of closing out the show.

And it was one heck of a last word.

Perry rode into New York's Brooklyn Bridge Park in the back of a golden semitruck — yes, the one that takes up the better part of a city block and has her name, album title and release date painted on the side — wearing a maroon silk boxing robe with "LIONNESS" splashed across the back.

Of course, the whole ensemble was topped off with cornrows and the gold-plated microphone — brass knuckles included— that Perry unveiled on Instagram this week. And, since we all know that no boxing workout is complete without a little rope-skipping, there was a jump-roping interlude. Never one to disappoint fans, Perry brought ring girls as well, clad in skimpy maroon bikinis and holding up "Game Over" signs to signal the end of another VMA year.

Before the show, Perry told MTV News that she wasn't shy about showing a more fierce side of herself now. Her fans, she said, had grown up as much as she had in the three years since the candy-coated "Teenage Dream" era.

"They're like, 'eww, Katy, cotton candy, gross.'" she said. "I can't do that anymore."

Of "Roar," she explained that that foe she was facing in the performance's boxing ring may as well have been herself.

"It's a song about standing up for yourself, who can be the biggest bully in the equation -- yourself...[it] can get in your way," she said. "It's a song about speaking up for yourself and having the strength to do that."

The Hollywood Reporter

MTV VMAs: Katy Perry's Finale 'Roar' Performance Is a Knock Out

Katy Perry was one ferocious feline during the first live performance of her new hit single, "Roar."

Before the actual performance, the songstress was shown covered in a red, silk Boxer's robe with the word "Lioness" emblazoned on the back, fighting her way to the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Girls actress -- and personal friend -- Allison Williams introduced the the live rendition of the pop song. Once on the boxing-ring inspired stage, Perry was seen wearing a tiger-striped sports bra with metallic gold boxing shoes and bedazzled gloves, all of which thematically corresponded to the song's message of personal empowerment.

The performance also saw the "Last Friday Night" singer jumping rope, showing off some Muhammad Ali-inspired dance moves and then triumphantly brandishing a championship Boxer's belt, while flanked by two bikini-clad ring girls, holding sings that read "Game Over." 

In the second week of it's release, "Roar" rocketed from No. 85 to No. 2 on Billboard's Hot 100, only second to the Robin Thicke's song of the summer, "Blurred Lines."

During the VMAs, fans had the opportunity to vote for which Perry single would be released before the Prism album drops on Aug 22. At the end of the show, it was announced that the song "Dark Horse" was the big winner. 

From a controversial performance by Cyrus to an unforgettable 'N Sync reunion, Perry gave one "last punch" to end the 2013 MTV VMAs in Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

USA Today

Katy Perry roars at MTV VMA show

Katy Perry was in the spotlight from start to finish at Sunday's Video Music Awards.

She hit the red carpet in a ferocious animal print Emanuel Ungaro dress from the fall 2013 collection, showing some serious thigh.

"I'm just trying to bust a little Angelina Jolie up in here," she told MTV's Sway during the pre-show.

She showed off a grill, a la Madonna, Rihanna and Beyonce.

As for what to expect from her Oct. 22 album, Prism, she says it'll be light. (Should we thank John Mayer for that?)

"I let a lot of light into my life," said the pop star. "At first I thought maybe there were going to be darker songs, but instead of having all the darkness come in, I let the light in. And I get to beam them out to the listeners, the fans."

And she closed the show performing under the Brooklyn Bridge in a sports bra and boxing shorts for her new single, Roar.

Stars jumped on Twitter to comment on it:

Oprah Winfrey loved it, tweeting: "@katyperry Hearing you Roar! #MTVVMAs"

Designer Betsey Johnson wrote: "It's official! @katyperry is my new hero! I ??her song #roar &the way she rocked #VMA awards! She's got the eye of the tiger! Xox"

Star Jones tweeted: "Look at #brooklyn doing the dang thing. Fabulous #VMAs"

Nick Cannon added: "I want to box @katyperry."

What did you think of the song?

Hollywood Life

Katy Perry Steals The Show With Performance Of ‘Roar’ At VMAs

Rocky, watch out! Katy Perry arrived at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY for the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards in a leopard print dress, but it was nowhere near as fierce as her performance! Singing her new hit “Roar,” Katy took over the Brooklyn bridge for a Rocky themed performance, and it was amazing!

Katy, 28, performed at the Brooklyn bridge in a boxing ring, dressed up as a boxer. Katy wore boxing shorts and gloves for her performance, where she and her dancers jumped, skipped and danced as she sang the song about being a fighter.

What a way to end the show!

Speaking about this song in interviews, Katy said that “Roar” is “a song about speaking up for yourself because there was a time in my life I didn’t stand for anything, so I fell for everything … Sometimes you can feel burdened by people or a thing or a relationship and it causes you to go inside yourself versus say ‘Hey! No, this isn’t okay.’ So it has been very therapeutic writing these songs. I’m getting myself stronger.”

Katy was all smiles as she stormed the carpet in an all-out leopard Emanuel Ungaro dress from the Fall 2013 collection. While a thigh-high slit and the sexy leopard pattern are eye-catching enough, the dress went even further, featuring both long sleeves and a turtle neck.

We didn’t think she could get any more fierce, but then she hit the stage!

What do YOU think HollywoodLifers? Did you love Katy’s performance?

People Magazine

Katy Perry didn't need fireworks to end the VMAs, instead she provided a knock-out. 

The singer gave the first live performance of her new single "Roar" under the Brooklyn Bridge on Sunday night, on a stage set up like a boxing ring and decorated with a gold lion and a gold tiger head. 

Sticking with the theme of her set, Perry dressed like a prizefighter with sparkling gloves, an animal-print sports bra, shorts with a flame print and gold lace-up boots. She even had an actor playing a trainer in her corner of the ring, who handed her a water bottle and offered her a bucket to spit in afterwards. She really showed off her jump-roping skills! 

The song is the first track off her new album, Prism (due out Oct. 22), and Perry hinted at some serious reinvention in promo videos that featured her burning the iconic blue wig from her "California Gurls" video and burying her Teenage Dream bubblegum pop image.

Huffington Post

Katy Perry VMA Performance Of 'Roar' Rocks MTV

Katy Perry rocked Brooklyn on Sunday night, closing out the MTV Video Music Awards with a performance of her new single, "Roar."

Perry's VMA performance marked the first time the 28-year-old played "Roar" in front of a live audience. She was in a boxing ring and wore a tiger print sports bra.

Perry performed the song at Brooklyn Bridge Park, and not inside the borough's Barclays Center, where the MTV VMAs were held. MTV teased that Perry would sing from an "undisclosed location" in Brooklyn prior to the event.

US Weekly

Katy Perry Plays Boxer in Performance of "Roar" Under the Brooklyn Bridge at MTV VMAs

Katy Perry's first performance of "Roar" was a knockout! The 27-year-old pop superstar closed out the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City with a big, showstopping rendition of her hit single on Sunday, Aug. 25 -- and the crowd, well, roared.

With the city's iconic Brooklyn Bridge towering behind her, Perry took the stage -- made to look like a boxing ring -- in a tiger-print sports bra and silk boxing shorts. She then proceeded to sing "Roar," the debut single off her upcoming third album Prism, while dancing all over the set. At one point, she picked up a jumprope and did a few impressive hops before tossing the prop into the mass of screaming fans.

Enterteinment Weekly

VMAs 2013: Katy Perry jumps rope in a boxing ring under the Brooklyn Bridge

Hey, did you guys know that the MTV VMAs were in Brooklyn this year? If not, Katy Perry made sure to drive the point home by performing at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge to close out the show. Brooklyn!

Dressed in a tiger-print sports bra and full boxer regalia, Perry stood in the middle of a boxing ring and performed her new single “Roar.” The airy outdoor setting gave Perry lots of space to work with, and she certainly took advantage of it: She jumped, she boxed, she jumped rope. Clearly, her shorts weren’t the only thing on fire.

It’s hard to say how much of a boost she got from that bridge beautifully lit up behind her like the world’s most expensive setpiece, but it certainly felt like one of the night’s stronger performances — and definitely more entertaining than Lady Gaga’s opener. But that’s just our opinion — do you guys agree?

Rolling Stone

Lady Gaga, 'NSync and Katy Perry Dominate the 2013 VMAs

The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, which aired live on Sunday night from Brooklyn's Barclays Center for the first time ever, had one thing on its mind: performance, performance, performance. ''NSync reunited. Lady Gaga re-emerged. And Katy Perry delivered a knockout punch. In fact, there were more performances than awards given out (less than 10 awards were handed out during the two-and-a-half hour show.)

oprah1oprah2<a href=http://fotpforums.com/uploads/emoticons/default_oprah1.gif' alt='oprah3'> oprah6.gif' alt='oprah4'>

"Critics don't matter" :awk:

It's not really about that half an hour ago you were saying Katy's performance would hardly be the spotlight of the night and the media covering it seems to disagree Obama+Oprah included

tumblr_ms4fqe0sOW1qff8gfo1_400.gif

It's not really about that half an hour ago you were saying Katy's performance would hardly be the spotlight of the night and the media covering it seems to disagree Obama+Oprah included

tumblr_ms4fqe0sOW1qff8gfo1_400.gif

But why is it that when you argue in BG, you say critics don't matter? Now they matter that she's gotten praise? Also, let's not forget all reviews are not done yet. There will be plenty more (boatloads more than right now) in the next 2 days.

But why is it that when you argue in BG, you say critics don't matter? Now they matter that she's gotten praise? Also, let's not forget all reviews are not done yet. There will be plenty more (boatloads more than right now) in the next 2 days.

Ya but they don't matter, right?

tumblr_ms4khsJn411ro1dyeo6_250.gif

The same but vice versa. You guys always use critics opinions to bash Katy and now you discredit them

Anyways let's not ny13 this isnt BG ny13

The same but vice versa. You guys always use critics opinions to bash Katy and now you discredit them

Anyways let's not ny13 this isnt BG ny13

? sure we do. You're able to use your critical praise. I'm not discrediting them. If they thought it was great, fine. Many of those people on those comittees have been listening to pop and making reviews even before my birth, so I do think they have a better palette than I do.

I am just waiting for more reviews, but congrats on Katy's. :clap: .

I never made that claim. In fact, you were the one who said it didn't matter. I don't get why they matter now. It puts a strain on FOTP Katy stanbase credulity

I haven't brought up a single post about the reviews so idk what you're going on about

I was expecting more, like fireworks and her jumping from the bridge that were previously reported. I guess the hype just didn't deliver for me.  :bummer:

I was deff expecting fireworks at least. 

I was deff expecting fireworks at least. 

They kept shooting her at a low angle to show the sky behind her and I was just waiting for it. It would have been so amazing if for the last rendition of the chorus the sky was exploding behind her. 

They kept shooting her at a low angle to show the sky behind her and I was just waiting for it. It would have been so amazing if for the last rendition of the chorus the sky was exploding behind her. 

I feel like the setting and whole situation was wasted potential to pull off something really crazy. 

I feel like the setting and whole situation was wasted potential to pull off something really crazy. 

same.

I was excited so see her perform this song because of the setting and the anthemic quality. Although disappointed, the end vocals were actually better than I thought, with her reaching the same studio notes.  

Agreed. It was a cute performance but could have produced a water cooler moment if they had taken advantage. 

same.

I was excited so see her perform this song because of the setting and the anthemic quality. Although disappointed, the end vocals were actually better than I thought, with her reaching the same studio notes.  

Yeah. I mean I enjoyed it. It was fun, and I think she sounded great. Seems like she lowered her register for the song and it seems like it's a lot easier for her to sing it live. 

Agreed. It was a cute performance but could have produced a water cooler moment if they had taken advantage. 

Yeah, and honestly with the whole bridge jumping rumors, thats ALL it would have taken. It seemed like it could have been super easy to pull off something spectacular. 

Again, I'm happy with her performance. I'm not blown away, but it's nice to see her kick off the promotion of Roar, and the video looks SUPER promising.