Americunt

The Unreleased Spotlight

dcUBof5.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9m2hrjOTk1r85nd8o1.mp3

Today, we have yet another mysterious 2011 track with no producer info known: TV In Black and White. I remember the day this leaked so clearly in my mind, because it leaked on the birthday of one of my really good friends at the time. It was around 2 AM for me when the audio was posted on the "Lowinthemind" leak blog and my friend (who lived in Manchester at the time) had just woken up a few minutes before. It was a shock to both of us. TV In Black & White was, for both of us, our most wanted unleaked track at the time. It had been teased to death and by that point, we knew full lines, the general sound and perhaps most importantly, the fact that it was believed to be one of the final unleaked pop tracks. Though that final bit later proved to be incredibly false, it made the fact that it had fallen right into our laps this way the most tantalizing thing ever. The two of us resolved to listen to it together and not say a word until it was over. For the next ten minutes, we said nothing to each other. He finally broke the silence with a single sentence that I'd be unable to top even if I tried to describe this song: "This is literally what heaven sounds like and I think I need to cry now". I'll leave you on that note.

Back To Tha Basics and TV In Black & White are two of my favs! cry7

TV In Black & White is one of those songs that I never get tired of. Rain or shine, I can put that song on repeat and listen for hours. It tops some released material, in that regard. moo1

mv9qe1i.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9myh8TUaE1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 16 brings us to the beginning of a second round of thematically linked songs. The first fifteen were mostly upbeat pop tunes that I considered favorites, but this next fifteen is mostly comprised of ballads and songs that I consider lyrically incredible. In that spirit, we'll start off with My Best Days, a short and sweet little track from 2010. Again, no producer info, but it's definitely a studio-recorded track. Many people believe that the version of this song that leaked is not the complete and that there are extra lyrics. I have never seen any documentation to prove that we don't have the full version, but I've also never seen a reliable refutation of the existence of a full version, so it could go either way. This song plays up the idea of a perfect love, utilizing some very cute wordplay ("Smiling in your sleep, pillow talk to me") while an organ provides the majority of the instrumental. This song is one of the shortest studio produced leaks, along with tracks like Jealous Girl, but that doesn't really detract from the loveliness of it. It takes some time to get hooked on it, but once you get to that point, its message really shines.

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o1_1280.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9pl50I8Eb1r85nd8o1.mp3

The song we have today is one of those serious travesties in Lana's unreleased, in that it was never released. Never Let Me Go is a song from 2010, though it sounds like it could've been from 2011 or 2012. This song has no producers associated with it according to all documentation we have, which is somewhat insane, considering the relative ubiquity of the knowledge of this song among casual fans. The production is relies heavy on drums and guitar, though strings and bells are also used. Lyrically, the song is about one of those co-dependent relationships that Lana loves so much, but explored from a slightly more positive perspective. It glorifies the love shared between these two individuals with no regards for the consequences at any time. This is the kind of song you'd love to be able to play on a proverbial "morning after".

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o2_1280.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9yvrwriqI1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 18's song is a spectacular dip into Lana's rockier side, while sticking to her central conceit of tragic love stories. This song is from 2010 and was produced by Justin Parker, who has worked with Lana on songs as diverse as Ride, National Anthem, Carmen and Burning Desire. Lyrically, the song explores a doomed relationship between Lana and her drug addict boyfriend. The song makes use of some clever wordplay with drug references ("Didn't wanna blow it", "Your purple dream") and likens her lover to crack cocaine during the chorus. It's a pretty visceral depiction of addiction gone wild. As a bonus, it's the first leaked song that ever made reference to someone's "golden grill", a phrase later repeated in Every Man Get His Wish, Stop Lite De-Lite and of course, Golden Grill.

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o3_1280.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9yvvoBMcn1r85nd8o1.mp3

On Our Way is our song for Day 19 and it's quite a fabulous little slow song. This is another Justin Parker song from 2010, though it's of a very different style than Velvet Crowbar. This song is one of those hazy little midmorning ditties to keep you awake and living life. It's often compared to Never Let Me Go, as they have similar messages and are sonically equivalent, in terms of instrumentation. There are three versions of this song, but today's focus is on the final version, which is the lengthiest of the three and also the most completely orchestrated of the three. On Our Way recounts a road trip with a lover, that morphs into a metaphor for a relationship. The two are "on their way" to the destination, as well as being on their way to a fuller commitment to one another. Truly a lovely song, though I do tend to prefer Never Let Me Go, when I want to listen to a song in this style.

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o4_1280.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9yvxnXRue1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 20 (woohoo) brings us to the second version of a song called Dum Dum. Dum Dum has three versions, two of which have identical lyrics and near-identical length. Dum Dum (V2) is the shortest of the three and also my favorite of the three, because it doesn't include the unnecessary extra instrumental parts that are hallmarks of the other two versions. This is yet another Justin Parker song from 2010, but it varies from the other songs, in that it's performed in sort of a spoken-word style, rather than true singing. Its lyrics are mainly centered around the idea of a relationship between two people changing their perspectives on the world. The chorus is sung in this very high and breathy style, which is amazing and really contributes to the song as a whole. You can tell that you're listening to Dum Dum (V2) rather than the other versions, by listening to the first line. In Dum Dum (V2), the first line is "Once you've had something, something so beautiful, you'll never be the same", rather than "I'm a wild child, bright child knocking at your door".

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o5_1280.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ksn5anvei9lfr/07%20Starry%20Eyed.mp3

Starry Eyed is Day 21's song and honestly, one of my least favorite unreleased songs. Starry Eyed was one of the so-called Untouchable 5 songs inadvertantly leaked by producer Rick Nowels on his website, during the summer of 2013. The song was recorded for the Paradise EP, but failed to make the tracklist for an unspecifed reason (though I find it quite understandable why it was taken off, upon listening to it). It's a love song that's not really about anything, which features one of the stupidest lines Lana's ever written: "They say make lemonade out of lemons, but I tried and I just can't understand it". It's just kind of reprehensibly bad, in my opinion. Obviously there are some staunch supporters of this song, but in my experience, they're few and far between. I suppose it does fit on Paradise, what with its use of Emile Haynie's trademark autotuned loon, but the lyrics are just not that good.

tumblr_n9nl41zkku1r85nd8o5_1280.png

AUDIO COMING SOON

Starry Eyed is Day 21's song and honestly, one of my least favorite unreleased songs. Starry Eyed was one of the so-called Untouchable 5 songs inadvertantly leaked by producer Rick Nowels on his website, during the summer of 2013. The song was recorded for the Paradise EP, but failed to make the tracklist for an unspecifed reason (though I find it quite understandable why it was taken off, upon listening to it). It's a love song that's not really about anything, which features one of the stupidest lines Lana's ever written: "They say make lemonade out of lemons, but I tried and I just can't understand it". It's just kind of reprehensibly bad, in my opinion. Obviously there are some staunch supporters of this song, but in my experience, they're few and far between. I suppose it does fit on Paradise, what with its use of Emile Haynie's trademark autotuned loon, but the lyrics are just not that good.

Oh my God I thought I was the only one. dead2

This song drags for so long.It's such a burden to get through it. Sirens teas.

Tumblr is such a bitch sometimes.

But it can be quite amazing at times (like my avi, for example moo1).

It really is a bitch, tbh. The artwork I have associated with these files is making them too large to upload, so I have to manually delete it to get them to work. fall1

I also still have today's song to post. moo1

8FUN5TB.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n9yw06WdLH1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 22 has brought us to one of my favorite rockier Lana songs: Tired of Singing The Blues. This song has everything you could ever want out of a Lana song: a spoken intro, self-deprecation (which tends to be short supply throughout most of her music) in that she recognizes that it's a "white girl day" and an angrily delivered "I'M FUCKED" in the bridge. This song is unique, in that every chorus is slightly different, which could indicate that it was done in one take or that she specifically recorded the chorus three different times, indicating a pretty large investment, for an unreleased song. Fun fact: This song is currently tied for third place with True Love On The Side, Every Man Gets His Wish, Children Of The Bad Revolution, Driving In Cars With Boys and You Can Be The Boss for most words (five) in a Lana song title. First place is a tie between How Do You Know Me So Well and Fucked My Way Up To The Top, both of which have seven words.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.