Vertigo-go

Kylie Minogue Album by Album Reviews ['Kylie Minogue', 1994, p.2]

Kylie_zpsa34246e7.jpg

I've got free time and some effort left in me, so I'll be writing reviews for the complete Kylie discography soon. She's virtually invisible here despite being a wonderful singer with albums and bootleg compilations worth of hundreds of amazing bops.

Stay tuned, the debut album is coming soon!

Kylie (1988)

1232722846_1988.jpg

Nothing beats the eighties album covers carla1

"I should be so lucky" is probably one of the most important pop songs of the 80s. It was as big as Like a Virgin (well, at least in UK and Australia), but also the reason, I think, why didn't Kylie make it in the States (it ended up #28 there though). A high-pitched blonde, with  odd perm and party songs that were secretly about sex-- sounds too much like M alright ny1

A surprisingly solid debut album, I prefer this one to "Madonna". Highlights: "I should be so Lucky", "Locomotion", "Got to be Certain".

Her acting xtina10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCXx5k01Tg

Basically, I don't have much to say about this record. Wasn't Kylie's greatest moment, wasn't bad either, but if you want a taste of Early Kylie, I'd rather refer to her third album, Rhythm of Love. All bops are there.

6.5/10

Oh yes, "Kylie". On the heals of Rick Astley's popular sound, Kylie road the wave of popularity from Soap Princess to Pop Princess. This album turned out to be a highlight of what was considered Pop in the UK and the late 80's - and on a indie label to boot, PWL Records.

Silly sounding now, but I'm sure it was quite the bop in many homes across the UK back in 1988. bey6

To enjoy this, I have to play it from beginning to end. Something is lost when you only play the hit songs. kylie1

Oh yes, "Kylie". On the heals of Rick Astley's popular sound, Kylie road the wave of popularity from Soap Princess to Pop Princess. This album

I hear Rick Astley's sped-up vocals were actually recorded for "Lucky", not Kylie's ny13.gif' alt='ny11'>

That's some Maya Marie-sized conspiracy dead2

Enjoy Yourself (1989)

kylie1989.jpg

This is Kylie's "Oops! I did it again". Less catchy tunes, so-so singles, and generally the same vibe that has been present on her debut album. Tears on my Pillow is a cute-pop curio I have a soft spot for.

sure_zpsbad98204.gif

ny1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA-EcqOCRkI

A filler-fuelled record gets no love from me this time.

5/10

Enjoy Yourself (1989)

kylie1989.jpg

This is Kylie's "Oops! I did it again". Less catchy tunes, so-so singles, and generally the same vibe that has been present on her debut album. Tears on my Pillow is a cute-pop curio I have a soft spot for.

sure_zpsbad98204.gif

ny1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA-EcqOCRkI

A filler-fuelled record gets no love from me this time.

5/10

Why all the Britney shade? :laughcry: Don't do her like that

Why all the Britney shade? :laughcry: Don't do her like that

I meant that EY was as simillar to the debut as Oops! was to ...Baby.

I don't see any artistic growth there. For instance, Britney or Stripped or True Blue are waaaaay ahead of first albums.

Rhythm of Love (1990)

Rhythm+of+Love.jpg

This is such an odd album. The cover and the photoshoot were very much early Kylie, but for the music videos and single covers she transformed into a sophisticated, sexy diva. Her album tracks were still pretty basic and indicative of early Kylie too (ie Always Find the Time), but the singles promised something much greater.

This isn't my favourite album, but it has my favourite Kylie singles, and my favourite song of hers "What do I have to do". God, she was so hot in that video, and her sister Danii too. I can watch it forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53e-IWTSTc

giphy.gif

Highlights: What do I have to Do, Shocked, Better the Devil you Know.

6.5/10

The taste of greater Kylie to come xtina10

Let's Get to It (1991)

product1_35892_600x600.jpg?file=Kylie+Mi

Kylie's transition from a Neighbours actress to a sex idol took quite a long time! I'm obsessed with the cover of this album. It looks like it's foreshadowing her future of graceful orgies and sex songs like Made of Glass or Breathe.

The album isn't the best in Kylie's canon and actually probably the most forgotten. And I Guess I Like it Like That sounds exactly like that 2Unlimited song ny1 I checked, but wikipedia page says nothing. Who sampled who?

The song is such a bop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk8qh3D1Vd0

Highlights: Let's get to It, I Guess I like it Like That, Word is out. Not the essential listen, but actually works fine as a background music for sweeping floors and such carla1

5/10

For an album that didn't sell very well, it managed to have 4 quite different singles released from it. The problem I have with it was that ROL was a big success, that they pushed this out right afterwards??? um2

Something tells me that Kylie had already given notice and this album was bits of recording scrap shovelled together to end her 4 album contract.

It is what it is. Take the individual tracks for what they are and ignore the album.