LÉON

80s No1Currs

Let's discuss our favourite 80s has-beens who aren't Madonna tina1

I love 80s music and I'm always on the hunt for new artists to stan. Currently being slayed by these tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIb9QUGjdIc

You tell me that you love me while you're looking away oprah6.gif' alt='oprah4'>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzBdD66B_w

You started giving me that old refrain / I never wanna hear that song again lj1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1TT0yVTlRg

She has a face that says that she knows she's heard every line tina1

Berlin was interesting in the beginning (synthpop stuff), then they started to make pop/rock sound before making too much commercial and generic shitty music on the last album.

I was just about to tag you in this thread after seeing your set somewhere else!

I actually prefer their later stuff like this and TMBA (you can't deny that's an excellent pop record). I've tried listening to some of their earlier songs but it wasn't for me. 

I was just about to tag you in this thread after seeing your set somewhere else!

I actually prefer their later stuff like this and TMBA (you can't deny that's an excellent pop record). I've tried listening to some of their earlier songs but it wasn't for me. 

I didn't listen to their 2000s albums, only 80s stuff. I am not sure have I listened to Information album.

I like songs like Will I Ever Understand You, The Metro, Lost In The Crowd, Sex.

I didn't listen to their 2000s albums, only 80s stuff. I am not sure have I listened to Information album.

I like songs like Will I Ever Understand You, The Metro, Lost In The Crowd, Sex.

I didn't mean their 2000s albums, I thought you meant the Count 3 & Pray album. 

Will give WIEUY and LITC a go, the other 2 didn't grab me. 

I didn't mean their 2000s albums, I thought you meant the Count 3 & Pray album. 

Will give WIEUY and LITC a go, the other 2 didn't grab me. 

I am just saying.

Right now I listen to  some songs on Information, it sucks.  The Metro (one of the best new songs by many sites) and Sex (I'm a) are only worthy songs on Pleasure Victim.

On Love Life I like Lost In The Crowd and In My Dreams, while on  Count 3 & Pray I like only WIEU. TMBA is OK.

That's all I listen to from them.

That Romeo Void song, A Girl In Trouble (Is a Temporary Thing) was so damned haunting.

And WEIRD.  I remember being in the eighth grade when it was a minor hit (stalled at No. 34).  Radio played it a few times in the summer of 1984 and then the video dropped and radio plays decreased.  It was such a refreshing change from what was getting airplay.  She was kinda like Beth Ditto before Gossip fame.

That Romeo Void song, A Girl In Trouble (Is a Temporary Thing) was so damned haunting.

And WEIRD.  I remember being in the eighth grade when it was a minor hit (stalled at No. 34).  Radio played it a few times in the summer of 1984 and then the video dropped and radio plays decreased.  It was such a refreshing change from what was getting airplay.  She was kinda like Beth Ditto before Gossip fame.

Her vocals are the haunting thing about it, for me. Pity the video sabotaged its radio plays, I wonder if it was because the public weren't ready for a big lady to do pop music?

Her vocals are the haunting thing about it, for me. Pity the video sabotaged its radio plays, I wonder if it was because the public weren't ready for a big lady to do pop music?

30 years later and I don't think the public can still handle seeing a big girl enjoy much success.

Mary Lambert seems to be making some inroads with it and all but she's extremely pretty, wears makeup and sort of plays on the sexy full-figured thing whereas Debora Lyall was pretty much the antithesis of all of the pretty girl pop singers (Patty Smyth, Laura Branigan, Madonna, etc.) in the fall of 1984.

Wait, are we talking abou one-hit wonders or acts who were big during those ten years and then getting sucked into oblivion and destroyed by that dumb grunge movement? tina1

My hard drive is essentially a self-compiled boxset in the vein of those budget "That's what I call vintage gay pop" compilations. Off top of my head:

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue, I Don't Wanna Dance

The Vaselines - Lovecraft

Berlin - Take my Breath Away

Billy idol - Fatal Charm

Malcolm McLaren -  Madam Butterfly

I don't care if Hot Chocolate's You Sexy Thing was recorded in the late 70s, this is the ultimate eighties song. Accept. Same goes for Yes Sir, I Can Boogie.

Some of the BEST ballads came out of the 1980's.

And I literally sing those songs in the shower to this day ...

• Jack Wagner's All I Need
  • Cock Robin's When Your Heart Is Weak
  • 'til Tuesday's Coming Up Close
  • The Motels <--- their entire discography

List could go on and on and on and on ...