Aion

The Body Shop Thread

100234.gif 100234.gif

Can we just take a moment for this exuberant, melodic, critically acclaimed, feel-good masterpiece?

100234.gif

The delightful ‘Body Shop’ is another rose-tinted vision. Madonna likens her romantic needs to upkeep on a car, which ought to be attended to by her beau in the body shop. “Jumpstart my heart, you know what you gotta do.” The metaphoric discourse is endearing and the song twangs somewhere between India and Middle America. Is it a sitar or banjo playing? Either way, it strums blissfully on the ears. Not dissimilar to ‘Ghosttown’, it’s a track where Madonna doesn’t seem preoccupied with staying current, and the results are actually quite fresh.

One of the most experimental moments, this track is completely joyful and a strong contender to be a future single. There’s an eastern influence instrumentally and fast-paced verses, fused perfectly with background dance beats. Unlike most of the deep lyrics on the album, Madge has some fun here. “You can polish the headlights. You can start the ignition,” she sings happily.

Body Shop - Strong sex song, catchy and sweet - A

...the irresistible Body Shop, a sweet garageland romance, beautifully produced by DJ Dahi and Blood Diamonds. You feel as if you're zooming in on a complicated human being rather than an enduring megabrand.

Body Shop, with sonic input from up-and-coming Blood Diamonds and Dahi, sounds like nothing else she’s ever done: witty and pretty, with an almost indie wistfulness, heightened by church-hall handclaps and distant kid-choir ‘heys’. The central metaphor is hardly Shakespearean – Body Shop’s hero is buffing her headlights, oiling her cylinders and whathaveyou – but it’s in subtler tradition of cheeky R&B double-entendre. It makes you smile, not blush.

Seemingly out of nowhere pops this ever so light, sunshiny sketch that could be a cut from Damon Albarn's Mali Music. There's warm, rolling, clapped percussion and fingers on strings with M delivering a gem of a verse, in a style that could not be further removed from either hard-hitting dancefloor belt or quivering electro-drama. The lyrics seem composed only to create a bubbling, breathy, percussive patter that feels improvised and loose but also totally integrated with the music around it. Important to note that this song is not about the ethical bath products brand – more like, love is a highway, M is a battered car and with some careful / dextrous repairs it will be possible to get back on the road. The chorus melody is pure, laidback jouissance and feels somehow like vintage Madonna. Also fun are the residues of her anglophile phase in the lyric that suggests "We could go on a bender." Nice.

Other songs, too, find Madonna exploring new sounds or revisiting them in novel ways, like the Eastern-flavored "Body Shop," a reminder of how agile both her vocals and lyrics can be; as extended metaphors for sex organs go, the track is the clever, more sophisticated cousin to 2008's crass "Candy Shop."

The defiant exuberance of first single Living For Love gives way to the deceptively, gentle, powerfully infectious Body Shop, with its tinkering rhythms and sly innuendo.

100234.gif 100234.gif 100234.gif

The slow, but propulsive build of instrumentation throughout the song.

100234.gif

Those synths that sound like the sun coming up on what's going to be a gorgeous day.

100234.gif

That playful, scratchy, mumbled, half asleep vocal.

100234.gif

That beautiful bridge that I'd drive to the ends of the Earth for.

100234.gif

The way all of the song's elements come together in the final minute to build a resplendent wall of sound.

100234.gif 100234.gif 100234.gif 100234.gif 100234.gif

That quietly magnificent acoustic guitar work in the final fifteen seconds that will haunt you for the rest of the day.

100234.gif

100234.gif

My least favorite track and least listened to song on the album. It's underrated but at the same time not. I don't really care for it. I don't hate it but it isn't as good as Best Night, Veni Vidi Vici, Graffiti Heart, Holy Water, HeartBreakCity, Iconic, Addicted but it's okay. It's not for everyone.

My least favorite track and least listened to song on the album. It's underrated but at the same time not. I don't really care for it. I don't hate it but it isn't as good as Best Night, Veni Vidi Vici, Graffiti Heart, Holy Water, HeartBreakCity, Iconic, Addicted but it's okay. It's not for everyone.

We can still be friends. 100234.gif

i thought i was the only one relieved that body shop made it to the final track listing   jj1

I was biting my nails for it since the moment it leaked. ny7.gif' alt='ny6'>.gif' alt='ny5'>

100234.gif

I was biting my nails for it since the moment it leaked. ny7.gif' alt='ny6'>.gif' alt='ny5'>

100234.gif

I was hesitant to ask because i'm a n00b here     julia1   it's giving me so much Shanti/Ashanti vibe and i love it    gaycat1

It's funny to see all of these quotes compiled into a list like this because it occurred to me while I was reading reviews the other day that the critics have all been praising Body Shop and that is surprising to me since so many fans crapped all over it when the demo leaked.  

It has always been one of my favorite RH songs and I'm glad it is getting singled out for praise.

Seriously WTF with the baby gif, though?   Beyond hating babies to begin with, that particular baby has a pained look on its face and is covering its ears --   if that baby hates Body Shop it can go to...   Texas.   Isn't that where they golf?

tina1  100234.gif

It's funny to see all of these quotes compiled into a list like this because it occurred to me while I was reading reviews the other day that the critics have all been praising Body Shop and that is surprising to me since so many fans crapped all over it when the demo leaked.  

It has always been one of my favorite RH songs and I'm glad it is getting singled out for praise.

Seriously WTF with the baby gif, though?   Beyond hating babies to begin with, that particular baby has a pained look on its face and is covering its ears --   if that baby hates Body Shop it can go to...   Texas.   Isn't that where they golf?

tina1  100234.gif

The Baby is overcome with emotion, he can hardly stand it. The Baby is an absolute good.

100234.gif

Body God  slays lives. gaga13 One of her best and most interesting songs. It's light-hearted but it's not shit like most of her other recently released light-hearted songs because the innuendo she uses is so clever and cute at the same time. I'm in awe with this song everytime it comes on.

That baby can and should go directly to hell...   tina1

100234.gif But he loves you 100234.gif

Body God  slays lives. gaga13 One of her best and most interesting songs. It's light-hearted but it's not shit like most of her other recently released light-hearted songs because the innuendo she uses is so clever and cute at the same time. I'm in awe with this song everytime it comes on.

Baby, you're a star oprah2