Tapestry

Faith Hill

ZSbiprV.jpg

• Three consecutive #1 albums on the Billboard 200 and Billboard Country Charts.
  • All of her non-seasonal studio albums have been certified at least 2X platinum by the RIAA, with Breathe being her most successful at 8X platinum. Her Christmas album has been certified Gold and her domestic compilation, The Hits, is close to Gold certification. All of her non-seasonal studio albums have also reached Platinum certification, with only Cry not going at least 2X platinum. Breathe has also gone Gold in the UK and 2X platinum in Australia.
  • 23 top 10 singles on the Billboard Country Charts, including 9 #1's.
  • 5 Hot 100 top 10 singles and 4 additional top 40 hits.
  • "Breathe" became only the second of three songs to top Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 chart without reaching #1 on the weekly chart due to its success and longevity on the chart, spending 53 weeks on the Hot 100.
  • Five Grammy awards, 15 Academy Of Country Music Awards (including three for Top Female Vocalist Of The Year), 6 American Music Awards, 3 Country Music Association Awards.
  • 40 million records sold worldwide.

Don't get me started on how much I love Faith Hill.

I was there for her the first time I heard her debut single, Wild One, in 1993 .... When her and husband Tim McGraw broke country chart records with It's Your Love in 1997 ... of course I became mega-obsessed (like the rest of the planet) when the fantastic Breathe disc came out in 1999 ... and I even had faith when country music ostracized her in 2002 because of the pop-leaning Cry opus.

But ten years without a studio disc?   It's torture.

Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, Kasey Musgraves.   They're fine and all.   But the three of them combined don't even have 1/10 of the charm and power of just one FAITH HILL

Listened to the Breathe album today for the first time in forever. cry7

What's In It For me cry7

I Got My Baby cry7

It Will Be Me cry7

Bringing Out The Elvis cry7

If I'm Not In Love cry7

That's How Love Moves cry7 (Bette Midler's original also slays. cry7 )

If I Should Fall Behind cry7

And, ofc, the singles. cry7

I still think Cry is better, but Breathe is definitely #2. cry7

Breathe is my favorite album of hers lj1 I love Cry and Fireflies too. All of her albums are great tbh. She's such an overlooked legend. It's been waaaaaay too long since she's released an album. These singles she's been releasing the past few years are such teases. cry0

Breathe is my favorite album of hers  I love Cry and Fireflies too. All of her albums are great tbh. She's such an overlooked legend. It's been waaaaaay too long since she's released an album. These singles she's been releasing the past few years are such teases.

I don't think they're teases.

I think they're just trying to see if the sexist DJ's at country radio will give her stuff any attention.

And they haven't.

If your last name isn't Underwood or Lambert in country music (and you're a woman), then you're screwed and you don't get airplay.

I don't think they're teases.

I think they're just trying to see if the sexist DJ's at country radio will give her stuff any attention.

And they haven't.

If your last name isn't Underwood or Lambert in country music (and you're a woman), then you're screwed and you don't get airplay.

If she were still 20 or 30, she'd probably have more luck as well. The ageism in top 40 radio going on now has been happening at country radio since about 1990 when they started dropping anyone over 50, such as Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton. They've recently decreased that to 40, although they still gave Reba some time to shine as recently as a few years ago, when she managed a #1 country single. But for just about anyone else, radio airplay slows down or stops around 40. Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, artists who used to have no trouble getting country radio to play their singles, can often barely get enough play to reach the top 40. And Reba is even feeling it with her latest project, although she managed to crack the top 30 with "Going Out Like That," but still. Not the usual performance for a lead single.

On one hand, I get so mad when older artists can't get radio airplay (in any genre) with genuinely good material. At the same time, I feel like when they lose it, it gives an opportunity to see what they can do when they don't have to care about hits. I mean, after country radio dropped Dolly in the 90's, she turned around and made albums like the Honky Tonk Angels project with Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette, Trio II with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris, and not to be forgotten, her Bluegrass trilogy which critics and her core fanbase STILL consider to be among her finest material. And while LeAnn Rimes isn't suffering from ageism, the whole scandal with Eddie Cibrian definitely made her a "ruined woman" in the eyes of the country establishment. (Funny, she lost her ability to get airplay because of that, yet Jason Aldean who cheated on his wife still gets his ass kissed and singles played. There's the sexism you were talking about.) So she made Spitfire, which is definitely not made for country radio and is probably my favorite album she's ever made.

I hope Faith just decides to drop that album regardless of how singles perform on country radio. Or, and this may be a stretch, has realized that getting a hit will take a miracle and will decide to make an album that doesn't chase hits, but instead speaks to her artistry.

Nice read, Last Midnight.

I think you know more about the Nature of the Country Music Beast than Country Weekly but then again, what do they know other than giving George Strait a cover every three weeks (no sarcasm, just 100% truth).

As for Faith, I agree.    It's remarkable how consistent her husband has been in at least putting out new CDs every couple of years over the past ten years vs. his wife.    And I'm not saying he has been consistent in putting out quality music, but at least his fans never have to wait.

I mean, she put out one studio disc in 2005.    That was ten years ago.    And Tim has probably released four or five full-length albums, since then, which have all had at least two or three top twenty singles.

BTW, I saw a pic of their oldest daughter and she looks so much like her mom, it's insane.    Maybe one of those three daughters will pick up where their mom left off (?)

@soapsnstuds It's just sad that women are dropped from any radio format except AC these days for daring to want to keep working after age 40. Especially country. Funny thing is, 40+ is when female artists especially start making some of their best, most personal work because they actually have a story to tell now. Granted, some like Loretta and Dolly have had stories to tell from day 1, but I digress.

It'd be fun for Faith to just do a traditional country or alt country album, just to say "Fuck the system" and not chase hits she can't get anyway. Even if it flops, I'd rather listen to a quality flop than a crappy hit. (But, naturally, I want quality to be a hit too.)

It'd be fun for Faith to just do a traditional country album or alt country album, just to say "Fuck the system" and not chase hits she can't get anyway. Even if it flops, I'd rather listen to a quality flop than a crappy hit. (But, naturally, I want quality to be a hit too.)

That would be a beautiful gift to us fans.

I always thought some of her best work was some of the non-singles/album fodder that somewhat lended themselves to the genre you are describing.   Even Fireflies   (and in particular that title song) would qualify for that type of music.

You HAVE to wonder what has been going through her mind over the past three or four years whether she really does or doesn't want to put out a studio disc and if a part of the problem is her management team making her do stuff she doesn't want to do.