Madonna

GHV2: The Second Coming - repackaging by ~Medoner~

I like your thinking, but I'm too excited for the 90s to wait! I'm listening to my homemade Second Coming greatest hits album right now!!

This post made me chuckle because last year I started this project:

Front493c.png

Booklet11ee7.png

Booklet2c4b2.png

Booklet310f8.png

Tracklist:

001 "Erotica" [Radio Edit]

002 "Fever" [Edit One]

003 "Human Nature" [Video Version]

004 "Don't Tell Me" [Radio Edit]

005 "Secret" [Edit]

006 "Rain" [Remix Edit]

007 "Ray of Light" [Edit]

008 "Beautiful Stranger" [WO Radio Edit]

009 "American Pie"

010 "Music" [Edit w/o Intro]

011 "Deeper and Deeper" [7'' Edit]

012 "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" [Miami Mix Edit]

013 "You'll See" [Edit]

014 "Frozen" [Edit]

015 "Take a Bow"

016 "The Power of Good-Bye"

017 "Bedtime Story" [Edit]

018 "Nothing Really Matters" [Radio Edit]

019 "Paradise (Not for Me)" [Edit] <- I made a HQ recreation of the tour version using synth stems filtered from the Center Channel of the tour audio (no audience noise), the album version and the instrumental and it fucking SLAYS! I will upload and post it in the VIP  Section within the next few days.

Length: about 83 minutes  <- It's too long for one CD, so one song would have to be cut...

GHV2 included some of her best tracks but it omitted some of the songs that really mattered and it was way too short. I think they should have focussed on including the most memorable songs from that era.

I wanted to include Bad Girl but I think Fever was more of a hit than Bad Girl was and it's quite an iconic cover. The Edit One/Video Version was only available on the single release I think and thus would have been a nice inclusion, especially since a lot of fans seem to love it.

American Pie, as much as she may regret putting it on Music was a MAJOR hit and thus should have been included, especially since that song was hardly available in the US.

The Miami Mix of DCFMA should have been included because the album was already extremely ballad-heavy and because the remix was the one that actually got all the airplay. You Must Love Me was more of an actual Madonna song, but it wasn't a hit.

Yes, You'll See was part of STR. Who cares? It was a hit and it should have been included. I'll Remember on the other hand was rightfully left off imo. Yes, it was a hit but it wasn't a necessity on this album, just like TUTBMP wasn't.

You may find the inclusion of NRM quite hypocritical but let me tell you something...The song was a much bigger hit everywhere else. At least a bigger hit than DW/SFL. The video is also extremely memorable and the song itself is among her best EVER! I thought about including the Club 69 Radio Mix because that was the one that did extremely well on the US Dance Charts but idk...

Paradise (Not for Me) may be the strangest inclusion on this whole entire thing, especially since WIFLFAG was also quite a big hit outside of the US but let me explain:

I think the release of it should've coincided with the release of the DWT DVD and the 11th anniversary of The Immaculate Collection and thus, both releases should somehow relate to each other. She could've done some GREAT cross-promo between the two.

I wanted the design of this CD to be reminiscent of the Geisha section from the tour, because I think it was the most eye-catching from DWT. Paradise would be treated as the "new song" because the edit is a recreation of the tour version with an alternate ending. The single of GHV2 would've been a double A-side release of the GHV2 Megamix and Paradise with the Orbit Remix of I'll Remember being the b-side. Alternatively, she could have used Amazing or Impressive Instant as "new song/single" and add Paradise as the b-side.

The single would have obviously flopped but I think the visual concept of the Paradise video being the visual concept for the GH compilation would have been SO much better than the mediocore mess we were left with.

Anyway...I need someone who was around during the 90's and who's good at writing and who has a good sense of humour to write new liner notes for me. @ @soapsnstuds

cry0

This is fucking perfection. cry0

I'd remove NRM, tho, cuz it was a flop. And I wouldn't be mad over Paradise being redone either, as that song should not have been paid dust the way it was. tina1 Altho Impressive Instant in its place would be ok too, for the same reason. tina1

@ you are such a talented graphic artist. 

THANKS! katyanna1

It's just a draft so it's not the finished thing. It's more of a concept. Just to give you an idea for what I'm going for. I really wanted this collection to be a retrospective on her 90's era, which GHV2 really failed at. The looks, the music, the controversies. Each era will have a collage page dedicated to it and a page with witty liner notes.

A deluxe version could have had a bonus disc with a few more hits, a few flop singles like NRM, and some hit remixes. moo1

The deluxe version would have a remix EP included. Then, the Limited Super Deluxe Version would have a lyric book, the DVD (92:01) & the deluxe version of GHV2. gaga13moo1

cry0

I'd remove NRM, tho, cuz it was a flop. And I wouldn't be mad over Paradise being redone either, as that song should not have been paid dust the way it was. tina1 Altho Impressive Instant in its place would be ok too, for the same reason. tina1

@ you are such a talented graphic artist. 

Thanks, guys!   antm1    That means the world to me but I'm quite amateurish. I'm not as good as I wanna be.

tbh, Madge's hits collections (music AND video) have always been lacking. Part of it is the sheer volume of hits. Other parts of it are bad choices.

The Immaculate Collection is the best one because it leaves out the fewest hits from that era, remixes them without ruining them so hardcore fans have a reason to buy as well as casual ones. But it coulda been a 2-Disc set with other hits and fan faves that were left out, like the single remix of Causing A Commotion, True Blue, Angel, Everybody, etc. tina1

GHV2 was missing BIG hits, including a #1 single. tina1

Celebration was just a fucking mess. Passing over top 10 singles and #1 hits for flops like Miles Away . tina1 Not to mention some of the mastering issues. tina1 Needed to be properly remastered and a 3-CD super deluxe set should have been made with an additional CD of hits, fan faves, hit/fan fave remixes, etc.

Won't even go into the music video collection issues. Let's just way the ball continues to be dropped. tina1

cry0

She barely had REAL hits in the 90's though.

"The song did, however top the US Hot Dance Club Songs, two months before it charted on the Pop Songs and Hot 100 and on the Hot Dance Singles Sales Chart."

Also this:

Drowned World/Substitute for Love (which was actually included on GHV2)

ea47df4a60a3243ee6bc0af30774fb4d.png

Nothing Really Matters

8ae1ca0860ebad2426a97114b5b0f683.png

It was clearly a bigger hit then DW/SFL and the video and imagery for it was/is more memorable. However, it probably should be left out because the album exceeds the 80 minute mark. cry5

tbh, Madge's hits collections (music AND video) have always been lacking. Part of it is the sheer volume of hits. Other parts of it are bad choices.

The Immaculate Collection is the best one because it leaves out the fewest hits from that era, remixes them without ruining them so hardcore fans have a reason to buy as well as casual ones. But it coulda been a 2-Disc set with other hits and fan faves that were left out, like the single remix of Causing A Commotion, True Blue, Angel, Everybody, etc. tina1

GHV2 was missing BIG hits, including a #1 single. tina1

Celebration was just a fucking mess. Passing over top 10 singles and #1 hits for flops like Miles Away . tina1 Not to mention some of the mastering issues. tina1 Needed to be properly remastered and a 3-CD super deluxe set should have been made with an additional CD of hits, fan faves, hit/fan fave remixes, etc.

Won't even go into the music video collection issues. Let's just way the ball continues to be dropped. tina1

Those were some excellent points you made! I really agree with everything you said.

292p7bq.jpg

There has always been a problem with the treatment of M's catalogue. I mean lbr...why the fuck do we still not have any singles collections? Digital versions of some of her iconic early remixes. I mean...why is Warner not milking it? All kind of flop artists get goodies and collectables like that and fans of the MOST SUCCESSFUL FEMALE ARTIST OF ALL TIME aren't getting shit!

whitney-houston-o.gif

Those were some excellent points you made! I really agree with everything you said.

292p7bq.jpg

There has always been a problem with the treatment of M's catalogue. I mean lbr...why the fuck do we still not have any singles collections? Digital versions of some of her iconic early remixes. I mean...why is Warner not milking it? All kind of flop artists get goodies and collectables like that and fans of the MOST SUCCESSFUL FEMALE ARTIST OF ALL TIME aren't getting shit!

whitney-houston-o.gif

ifkr tina1

Speaking of Whitney, with those GIF's, RCA are flopping at milking her death. tina1

They announced remastered expanded Bodyguard and Whitney albums in '12 and never followed through. tina1

People would have been on those like white on rice and maybe Whitney would finally be Diamond. tina1

Their "hits" collection they released was shit unless you imported the 2-CD deluxe version. tina1

Took them two years to get her live collection out, altho I'm guessing rights issues had a lot to do with that, but still. tina1

WHY are there still not any of her full HBO concerts officially released to DVD? tina1

MJ died and Epic IMMEDIATELY began to milk his catalogue for all it was worth. tina1

I wish they were still alive, tho. brit2

ifkr tina1

Speaking of Whitney, with those GIF's, RCA are flopping at milking her death. tina1

They announced remastered expanded Bodyguard and Whitney albums in '12 and never followed through. tina1

People would have been on those like white on rice and maybe Whitney would finally be Diamond. tina1

Their "hits" collection they released was shit unless you imported the 2-CD deluxe version. tina1

Took them two years to get her live collection out, altho I'm guessing rights issues had a lot to do with that, but still. tina1

WHY are there still not any of her full HBO concerts officially released to DVD? tina1

MJ died and Epic IMMEDIATELY began to milk his catalogue for all it was worth. tina1

I wish they were still alive, tho. brit2

THIS!

Tbh...I find milking someone's catalogue when they're dead is quite disrespectful! They should milk those catalogues while they're still ALIVE.

I LOVE Whitney by the way. Her music was part of my childhood and I cried when I heard the new about her death. (They were playing I Look to You). It felt like part of my childhood died. I never stanned her THAT much but I own her first GH album and the accompanying DVD. When MJ died I was in literal shock but for some reason it didn't impact me as much as Whitney's death did, eventhough I'm a huge MJ stan ever since i can remember.

Talking about stuff that we're still waiting on...

Why have we still not gotten Blonde Ambition and Re-Invention on DVD/Blu-Ray? um2

THIS!

Tbh...I find milking someone's catalogue when they're dead is quite disrespectful! They should milk those catalogues while they're still ALIVE.

I LOVE Whitney by the way. Her music was part of my childhood and I cried when I heard the new about her death. (They were playing I Look to You). It felt like part of my childhood died. I never stanned her THAT much but I own her first GH album and the accompanying DVD. When MJ died I was in literal shock but for some reason it didn't impact me as much as Whitney's death did, eventhough I'm a huge MJ stan ever since i can remember.

Talking about stuff that we're still waiting on...

Why have we still not gotten Blonde Ambition and Re-Invention on DVD/Blu-Ray? um2

On one hand, it's disrespectful. On the other hand, many of my faves died before I was even born so I'm used to milked catalogues of dead people. brit2 Plus some of the unreleased/rare stuff that comes out afterwards is gold. brit2

We'll probably not get those concerts until Madge is dead, so not in our lifetimes. brit2 BA probably won't be on Blu-Ray anyway, since it was shot on videotape. Although some titles like that get issued on Blu with upconverted video cuz the BR format has HD audio, so it COULD happen. RIT, tho, probably was shot on film or at least digital HD, so that could more easily happen.

Whitney was my first fave, it's so hard to lose your first fave. brit2 One of my first CD's was ha US Greatest Hits. brit2 And The Bodyguard was one of my first cassettes.

I got the live CD/DVD on Amazon last year when it was $7 for Black Friday and damn near cried through the whole thing. brit2 The AMA performance of I Loves You Porgy/And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going/I Have Nothing, our faves could literally NEVER. brit2

Finally picked up a physical copy of the UK Greatest Hits package this year too. Almost the same as the US version, but a few tracks not on the US edition, a few tracks from the US edition missing, and WAY fewer remixes. moo1

I'm also waiting for Waiting To Exhale on Blu-Ray. tina1

I want all ha albums expanded and remastered. Even ha debut, which has gotten that treatment, should get a new edition with some rare tracks, b-sides, more 12" remixes and 7" single mixes, the original LP version of How Will I Know. There's a German 12" of How Will I Know (I think it's German) with a different 12" mix of the song than the one on the remastered version from 2010. Whitney's catalogue deserves the same deluxe treatment that Diana Ross' RCA albums and Donna Summer's 80's albums have gotten. tina1

The Bodyguard deluxe could fucking SLAY. All the IEW and QOTN remixes, the film versions of IWALY and RTY, maybe some demos, live performances, etc. brit2

The Preacher's Wife, with all the Step By Step remixes, and a version of the song with the ending that was used in the film credits (it actually has an end, whereas the LP/single versions just fade out), other such things. brit2

Whitney remastered with all the 7" and 12" remixes, b-sides, etc. The Shep Pettibone remixes of So Emotional. brit2

I'm Your Baby Tonight remastered with all the 7" and 12" remixes, including the dance version of the title track used overseas, ALL those My Name Is Not Susan remixes, including the ones with Monie Love. brit2

My Love Is Your Love would be pretty epic, tbh, with four of five singles being extensively remixed. To keep it to no more than 3 CD's, they could remove dubs and such. But still, I'd need it in my life. brit2

Celebration DVD is a crock of shit, omits many videos for some reason (although it doesn't even follow the album tracklist, so why not include all videos? um2 ). I prefer that black dvd compilation (still need to BUY it though). It has Drowned World, Secret and everything. Celebration videos comp is even worse than KGB: A Decade of Hits DVD.

Celebration DVD is a crock of shit, omits many videos for some reason (although it doesn't even follow the album tracklist, so why not include all videos? um2 ). I prefer that black dvd compilation (still need to BUY it though). It has Drowned World, Secret and everything. Celebration videos comp is even worse than KGB: A Decade of Hits DVD.

Don't forget the censorship on Justify My Love. tina1

The aggressive noise reduction. tina1

The extreme compression, causing some videos to serve old school RealPlayer realness. tina1

If she had any input in that mess at all, I'm unstanning. tina1

Thank God I never wasted my money on that crap. tina1

More like Bitch you're such a great graphic artist whit1

I love the design. 

ifkr?! especially in the early 2000's her fans would have eaten that shit up! All we ever got is that ultra rare singles box set released in japan that costs an arm and a leg on ebay.

we need a proper box set that isn't region limited.

A deluxe version could have had a bonus disc with a few more hits, a few flop singles like NRM, and some hit remixes. moo1

Yes! I would love if she actually did that or a bonus interview CD, with like rosie or one of her friends.

this is a pretty great tracklist! the artwork is fantastic as well.

however, I would also remove Nothing Really Matters... and Paradise too. If anything, she could have included Time Stood Still and pushed it as a "new" single instead.