Venus XCX

Queen Of Paper Planes MIA Slams Queen Of FOTP Oprah Winfrey Because Of Queen Of Pop Lady Gaga

CAl8w0rU0AAFcj4.jpg

In honor of the 10-year anniversary of the album Arular, singer MIA sat down with Rolling Stone to chat about her rise fame, but instead of simply focusing on her own personal successes, the 39-year-old performer took the opportunity to slam Oprah and well as her ex-boyfriend Diplo—and it's safe to say she not mince her words. 

"In 2009, Time nominated me for one of the most influential people of the 21st century or something and I met Oprah at that party. And I was like, "Hey, people are gonna f--king die in my country. Like, please pay attention," the songwriter recalled. "And she was like, "You're s--t because you were rude to Lady Gaga and I'm not talking to you. And I'm gonna interview Tom Cruise jumping on my sofa, so f--k off."

Born in London, but raised in northern Sri Lanka, M.I.A., whose real name is Mathangi Arulpragasam, has been very outspoken about the widespread human rights abuses and the oppression of the Sri Lankan Tamil people. She has received backlash for her views and has even been dubbed a "terrorist" due, in part, to her father's past association with the guerilla organization, Tamil Tigers. 

"Yeah, she didn't talk to me. She shut me down," M.I.A. continued of Oprah. "She took that photo of me, but she was just like, 'I can't talk to you because you're crazy and you're a terrorist.' And I'm like, 'I'm not. I'm a Tamil and there are people dying in my country and you have to like look at it because you're f--king Oprah and every American told me you're going to save the world."