Ryan

"Gay people need to stop stealing the culture of black women"

According to the NUS Women Conference document, Motion 512’s supporters believe that the “appropriation of Black women by white gay men is prevalent within the LGBT scene and community.” It states that this appropriation is found in the “emulation of the mannerisms, language (particularly AAVE- African American Vernacular English) and phrases that can be attributed to Black women.” Furthermore, the NUS Women’s Campaign motion supporters find it offensive when white gay men say they have an “inner black woman.” The motion claims that white gay men “benefit from both white privilege and male privilege.”

The NUS Women’s Conference’s motion would work with the NUS LGBT Campaign and the public in order to stop white gay men from appropriating activities, mannerisms, speech, and dress that is claimed by black women.

SOURCE

The stupidity and delusion noway1

Benefit from white privilege and male privilege?   lmfao1   gurl bye there's thousands of gay men being killed for their sexuality   lmfao1  

Stupid people   anna1

I don't understand why they discriminate another minority in order to raise awareness to discrimination towards their minority   anna1

My hopes of homophobia being accepted on the same level as racism are diminishing day by day   awk1

I get what they mean even if it is badly stated and too many privilege cards played. I am sure it gets a bit annoying to see a white man purposely speaking in Ebonics and making hand movements and everything else one would generally expect a black woman to do.

However, I don't think any harm is meant in doing it. There's a difference between stealing/appropriating someone's culture and liking it so much that one tries to channel it. 

This thread makes me sad, it's very clear how ignorant this forum is regarding race issues, white supremacy, privilege and circles of oppression.

The quote on the OP is true: white gays benefit from white and male privilege and they're allowed to get away with the appropriation of AAVE: when a white gay talks and behaves like a black woman, usually they're "sassy" and "have a lot of personality", when a black woman behaves like herself they're deemed "ratchet" or "uneducated". 

Do you guys think this is really a "non issue" caused by "racism"?

BYE

Racism is based on circles of oppression and white supremacy: a black person (or any other racial minority) cannot be racist, since racism is founded on the ideas of white superiority and black inferiority. A black person can be prejudiced against white people, yet racism against whites simply do not exist since there's something called privilege.

Privilege is NOT the money you have or that you didn't need to "struggle" growing up... privilege is the implicit social construct that makes it easier for one person to accomplish something against someone else who is different. For example: male privilege is the reason why women are usually underpaid, white privilege is the reason why black and other racial minorities are judged and sentenced more harshly by courts of law, cisgender privilege is the reason why trans* individuals are marginalized when using the bathrooms that correspond to the gender they identify with, etc.

I hope you all actually read more about these issues and understand that having a "few black friends" and jamming to Azealia Banks doesn't mean you're not racist.

Love,

JP