El Goot

'1984' is NOT TRUE.

katy-perry-met-gala-2015-close-up-billbo

According to a specious story making the online rounds like wildfire yesterday,Katy Perry registered a new song called "1984" with BMI. Given the similarity between "1984" and the title of a hit album from a separate pop star whose recent No. 1 hit is rumored to be about Perry (again, by the Internet), people exploded with rabid speculation that this alleged "1984" track was a response song of sorts. 

At least, that's according to random people on the internet. But according to Katy Perry's managers, that's totally false.

"Katy Perry’s managers at Direct Management Group confirm that this story is completely false," a rep for Perry at Universal tells Billboard. "Katy Perry was not involved in writing, singing, recording or registering this song."

That shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Patrick Collier, one of the song's alleged co-writers, posted an Instagram about the song with the caption "news to me." That Instagram has since been deleted.

For their part, BMI simply confirmed that the "1984" song was registered back in September by BMG Platinum Songs. The song is still on BMI's site with Katy Perry listed under the "Artists" tag.

So there you go. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

As for what Perry is actually talking about these days, it's far more important than an alleged pop star feud. Perry is one of the few A-list pop stars to actually comment on the brutal handling of black teens at the hands of police in Texas. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6590780/katy-perry-1984-song-story-completely-false

We need someone to do the same for Katy and Gaga!  yas1

I've never understood the Katy/Gaga feud tbh. Some people try way too hard to make drama out of nothing. Calm down, guys! It's just pop music!

That really annoys me that he would start shit like that eve1 Someone get him on twitter

I mean at first i thought maybe the #TeamKatyPerry hash tag was just him campaigning for Katy to pick up the song, but now that he's deleted the tweets, I'm assuming differently.