Jony

Do people honestly believe that Mariah is bigger than Madonna?

I'm not talking about their bodies. 

Yes, the question is serious no matter how ridiculous it may sound. I've noticed lately that many people try to make Mariah seem like she's that legendary pop star and even seen people say she's had a more successful and bigger career than Madonna. It baffles me because it's just a ridiculous statement, I mean I have favs that are having a hard time commercially too but I don't make crazy shit up to make them seem better.

I mean sure, she's had her 18 #1s (most of them got completely lost and forgotten in time) and success during the 90s mostly, but she never came across as this huge legend some of her fans make her to be. Believe it or not, for many people she's just the All I Want For Christmas Is You singer. 

When it comes to vocals Mariah is of course much better than Madonna, I'm obviously not here to argue that. 

Album wise, Madonna definitely has the upper hand here, even her worst attempts are miles better than Mariah's worst. The critics agree, the people agree, time agrees.

Mariah is currently on the 25th year on her career, with an okay album that really underperformed and a Las Vegas residency which is basically any big artist's tombstone. Rewind 7 years ago and you have Madonna on the 25th year of her career selling 8 million album copies worldwide and being on the highest grossing tour of all time by a female artist. 

Mariah on her 22nd year was an American Idol judge which alone is a sign of a struggling career. Let's see what Madonna was doing, oh releasing one of the most iconic, critically acclaimed and commercially successful albums of the 21st century, Confessions on a Dance Floor, meeting success that miss Carey hasn't witnessed since she was 25. 

These are just two examples, I could give you many more that undeniable prove (unless you're deeply delusional or act like it) that Madonna is indeed a much bigger legend than Mariah Carey. The only time when Mariah was considered bigger than Madonna success-wise, was the first half of the 90s and that's it.

Madonna is currently on the 32nd year of her career and although her album didn't perform that well, she still sells out arenas worldwide in minutes and is undeniably the most successful female artist of all time. I wonder where Mariah will be in 7 years.

I could just type "SHE'S NOT" but decided to go with all that instead for some reason.

Discuss, calmly   nat1  

Mariah is bigger in some countries, but Madonna is global.

What countries? Only Japan.

Madonna sold more albums and singles in US (both physical and digital singles)

I'm not here to discredit Mariah, but she's not even next to Madonna

I would say

1. Madonna

2. Celine

3. Whitney

4. Mariah

What countries? Only Japan.

Madonna sold more albums and singles in US (both physical and digital singles)

I'm not here to discredit Mariah, but she's not even next to Madonna

I would say

1. Madonna

2. Celine

3. Whitney

4. Mariah

USA

Madonna - 64.5

Mariah - 63.5

and Madonna had like a decade on Mariah eve1

Mariah is one of the best selling female artists when it comes to physical singles, with like 16m physical singles sold. Then 18 #1s, etc. Mariah has a slight edge on M in USA, soz hun

USA

Madonna - 64.5

Mariah - 63.5

and Madonna had like a decade on Mariah eve1

Mariah is one of the best selling female artists when it comes to physical singles, with like 16m physical singles sold. Then 18 #1s, etc. Mariah has a slight edge on M in USA, soz hun

tea1     tea1       tea1      tea1      tea1

Hot 100: Top 100 Artists (All time)

1 THE BEATLES 2 MADONNA 3 ELTON JOHN 4 ELVIS PRESLEY 5 MARIAH CAREY

The lambs can use the 18 #1s card all they want but Billboard has spoken. kii

That's because Madonna has more top tens, but Mariah has more weeks in the top tens with far less of a career.

1 THE BEATLES

2 MADONNA

3 ELTON JOHN

4 ELVIS PRESLEY

5 MARIAH CAREY

18 #1s are still more impressive, keep trying.

1 THE BEATLES

2 MADONNA

3 ELTON JOHN

4 ELVIS PRESLEY

5 MARIAH CAREY

kii

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic