Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Tapestry

Anyone Else Do Vinyl?

I've been buying records at thrift shops here and there for a while now, despite not even having a turntable, but since I got one recently, I'm really digging it even more than I thought I would. I'm not really into it for any audiophile aspect, I just think it's kinda neat to put on a record. It kinda makes listening to music a bit more personal when you have to put the record on and then flip it over halfway through. (Even more often if it's a double album...or triple or more.)

Haven't bought any new vinyl yet, and most of my records are old jazz, traditional pop, show tunes, soundtracks, etc. I do have a few "contemporary" pop artists on record, though, and I'm expecting a Donna Summer live double album in the mail next week.

Here's a few pics of my records. Most of them were Goodwill finds, or found in other thrift shops and yard sales.

mDfP6Ag.jpg
I think that's the rarest record I own. Got it for $1 at a library sale, and I see it go for $40+ on eBay and Amazon. Which is kinda funny since Sony released it on CD and download last year. ayumi1

41anEfx.jpg

fuiAU1s.jpg
ofc I have to have some Dolly on vinyl.

4a5UVaC.jpg
At $11, this is currently the most expensive record I own. fall3 And yes, it was worth it.

5uj1IxJ.jpg
BTW, don't pay more than $1 for a copy of this on vinyl, the last one or two songs on each side sound like shit. lj1 But I still had to have SOMETHING of Whitney on vinyl.

KMrRzbY.jpg

zRwbgVh.jpg
ofc I have to have some Barbra too. Those are just two of them, I think I have like six of her albums on vinyl so far.

AeSgGH6.jpg

3oqF9xa.jpg

36ZvU9R.jpg
I used to have Buckingham Nicks too but I gave it away. tina1

a4u5oig.jpg

I still need the movie soundtrack too. And the movie soundtracks for The King And I and South Pacific. I also have the original cast album for South Pacific and the movie soundtrack to Oklahoma. Plus lots of other cast albums and movie musical soundtracks. cry0

tMamRrg.jpg

There's way more. I have records by Linda Ronstadt, Miami Sound Machine, Jody Watley, Kenny Rogers, Doris Day, Julie Andrews, etc. I even have a couple of Disney compilations, but they probably should be trashed since they skip badly, but I just can't seem to let go of them. cry0

I bought J.Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive at f.y.e... I want to get Drake - Take Care!

I'm really waiting for The Pinkprint or any Rihanna album post GGGB to come out for vinyl.

I want 21 on vinyl simply cuz it's 21, it's already old school sounding, it just makes sense. brit2

I also want Celine's Loved Me Back To Life, mostly cuz it'll probably be the only chance for me to get anything of hers on vinyl. brit2

i saw everytime on vinyl once and immediately told a friend of mine who was also a britknee stan and two days later when i went there to buy it it was already gone my friend litreally bought it giveup1 giveup1 but i'm happy he did bc it sounds pointless to me now moo1

I have quite a few, but I'm not into collecting as much as I used to be. Anything post-2000 I don't really care about on vinyl (unless it has a really nice cover) because it already sounds so digital which just sounds weird on a turntable (this would probably be solved with a nicer turntable and a good sounds system but I don't have that kind of money to shell out). I love listening to older albums though like ABBA and early Madonna - especially her 12" extended singles. It's a neat (very cool and fun) experience listening while looking at record sleeves. 

@Ginger Spice That's also why I'm not really getting many newer vinyls. Without a $400+ turntable and expensive stereo setup and all, there's not really much reason to buy newer albums on vinyl. Especially at the prices they cost. tina1 I'm still gonna get a few, just because, but not a lot. I'm mostly gonna stick to thrift shops, yard sales, used record shops, etc. and get vintage. I'm hoping to luck out soon and find some Madonna, cuz I'm not paying $5+ for a record on Amazon very often. tina1

@Last Midnight the prices are ridiculous, and it's gotten worse in the past two years or so. i have the first three Gaga albums and I paid ~ $15 for The Fame, $18 for The Fame Monster (this one was more expensive than The Fame despite it's length because it's a picture disc) and $20 for Born This Way. None of those are unreasonable, though not necessarily cheap. By the time ARTPOP came out it was like $35 some places.   dead2  I also saw Beyonce's self-titled for $45 although it came with a CD and DVD plus two vinyls but still...

And none of the Britney albums are on vinyl.   brit2

My bf said he was getting me another ABBA vinyl for my birthday on Saturday. I think it's gonna be Arrival or Super Trouper.   brit2

@Ginger Spice I can't even @ the 2012 Barbra unreleased compilation literally only being like $5 for the vinyl on Amazon. fall3 I don't mean used, I mean brand new copies sold BY AMAZON are $5, like what even? fall3

And I want LMBTL by Celine and it's literally cheaper to get the import than the domestic, especially if I buy used. fall3

Fucking hipsters driving up the price of vinyl. Even used vinyl is costlier now, especially since some are becoming more scarce. The store I go to often used to charge maybe $2 MAX for a used vinyl. Now sometimes it's $4 or $5. fall3 Although for some faves, that'd be well worth it. I want to own at least one pre-pop-crossover Dolly studio album on vinyl. Preferably Jolene or Coat Of Many Colors, but since those fucking hipsters LOVE her, her vinyls are harder to come by too. And I'm NOT buying them on Amazon, Jolene is like $170 and COMC is like $50. fall3 Online is good for some records, but most Dolly albums, I'm afraid I'll have to try my luck at thrift and record shops. brit2 I'm lucky I found that compilation, and for the condition the outer and inner sleeves are in, $3 was $1.50 too much. But to have some of Dolly's most iconic songs on record was worth $3. brit2

I don't have that many but I recently got a turntable.

My favorite vinyl purchases are definitely the Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel box set & Ultraviolence box set. 

I have all of Gaga's vinyls, but that's about it. I am dying to get a turn table to play them on though! cry1

I have a Gaga collection too! You better buy a less expensive one for now. I've been using turntables since I can remember, and they can burn a hole in your pocket. Start off with a cheap one, unless you're an audiophile. You can get a Denon DP-29F online from Bay Bloor radio ( https://baybloorradio.com/turntables) for less than 150$. 

It's true that vinyl prices are going up because of the scarcity.

I have a Gaga collection too! You better buy a less expensive one for now. I've been using turntables since I can remember, and they can burn a hole in your pocket. Start off with a cheap one, unless you're an audiophile. You can get a Denon DP-29F online from Bay Bloor radio ( https://baybloorradio.com/turntables) for less than 150$. 

Thanks for the info! I actually just bought one the other day at Target for $80 though. demi1 And since my post I've bought all of Lana's vinyls as well! demi1

I have over 100 pieces of vinyl. Mostly 12", a few 7". New and old stuff. Madonna, Gaga, Janis Joplin, Marina, Bruce Springsteen, Years & Years, Janet Jackson, M.I.A., Destiny's Child, The Beatles etc...

I have over 100 pieces of vinyl. Mostly 12", a few 7". New and old stuff. Madonna, Gaga, Janis Joplin, Marina, Bruce Springsteen, Years & Years, Janet Jackson, M.I.A., Destiny's Child, The Beatles etc...

What Gaga stuff do you have? creep1

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.