Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

untitled

Melanie Martinez

It's like if Lana was on acid, had a thing for Alice In Wonderland and REALLY liked puns. Not a good look. katy1

Sis, half of your set is still Rottyn Beaver. orangu1

Rynnie the Pooh slays & you'll deal rav2

Am meeting her next Tuesday, will give FOTP a shoutout rav2

https://twitter.com/MelanieLBBH/status/621810252489449473

OMG ITS BEAUTIFUL IM CRYING

It looks like its fanmade, this bish knows how shit should work.

love it cry1

it's so pretty wtf rip2

IKR! It's amazing. I like how she used those Claudine Hellmuth little miniature houses from the Dollhouse EP cover at the bottom. And I like how the tears are shown with the character Cry Baby as a cloud. I think the little town being filled with water is an Alice in Wonderland reference? It would make sense since the song "Mad Hatter" in itself is a Wonderland (and *somewhat* Alice Madness Returns) reference. And then the pink sky and clouds are clearly cotton candy references (since the album represents childhood and the line "cotton candy heart" from "Carousel", and that song is on the album) Then the balloon lettering is giving me Pity Party vibes.

So:

Sky - "Carousel"

Giant character and tears + ocean in the town - "Cry Baby" and "Mad Hatter"

Logo - "Pity Party"

Houses - "Dollhouse"

Where did you get this? I can't see it on the internet anywhere.

She just posted it a minute ago on her Twitter 

it leaked 2 hours before and melanie didn't want it to she didn't originally want to show the album cover today at all as she had tweeted before fall4 it just so happened to drafted and sent off too early by her producer lmao.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT...

CRY BABY

GcPhpyc.jpgRelease date: August 14th 2015 (Pre-orders on July 24th 2015)

Recorded: 2013-15

Genres: Pop, Alternative, Experimental, Wonky, Dark Wave

Record labels: Atlantic Records, Warner/Chappell Music

Cover artwork shot by: Lissy Elle Laricchia

Singles

1. "Dollhouse" (Dollhouse EP single) - April 22, 2014

2. "Carousel" (Dollhouse EP single) - May 19, 2014

3. "Pity Party" - June 2, 2015

4. "Soap" (Promotional single) - July 10, 2015

5. "Sippy Cup" (Promotional single) - July 31, 2015

Information

In 2014 Melanie planned to release a debut album titled Dollhouse featuring the track of the same name, but due to issues she could only release a four track EP then, including "Dollhouse", "Carousel", "Dead to Me", and "Bittersweet Tragedy". Now, she's fully completed a debut effort, titled Cry Baby. It's about a character / alter ego of the same name who is a nine year old (nine candles on birthday cake in Pity Party music video) girl based on a fantasy mixed version of Melanie's childhood. The songs on the record all are about bad things, represented by childlike metaphors, with the exception of "Training Wheels", which was difficult for Melanie to write because its one of the first happier songs she's written. The songs "Dollhouse" and "Carousel", from her debut EP, have been confirmed to be on the standard tracklist for the album, however the other two songs will not be featured. The title track, "Alphabet Boy", "Pacify Her", "Mad Hatter", and "Cake" have all been debuted with live performances in the second half of the Dollhouse EP tour, and the rest of the titles have been confirmed in interviews. Snippets for the studio versions of "Alphabet Boy", "Cake", "Pacify Her", and "Mad Hatter" have been posted on Melanie's Instagram page. Recently, the tracklisting has been leaked on a Swedish website, and the album artwork has leaked and also been confirmed by Melanie via Twitter. The physical editions of the album (CD and vinyl) will both contain a storybook with illustrations about the album.

TRACKLIST

1. "Cry Baby"

Written by: Melanie Martinez

Produced by: Unknown

The song is about how people sometimes call Melanie Cry Baby because she cries way too much (thus inspiring the character of the album). Melanie has to learn to accept herself and soon she decides that she does not care what people think of her. The song was performed on the Dollhouse Tour.

2. "Dollhouse"

Written by Melanie Martinez

Produced by Kinetics & One Love

This song is about a dysfunctional family, that on the outside seems perfect. The family has many problems, such as the husband and father cheating on the mother, the mother being an alcoholic, and the son having a cannabis addiction. The daughter, portrayed by Melanie, wants to end the madness and get help, but the family must "smile for the pictures" and act like everything is fine. In the music video, the family is shown as dolls and the perfect image to a young girl playing with them. Melanie tries to explain to her that when she is not looking, everything goes insane.

3. "Sippy Cup"

Produced by Unknown

Not much is known about this song besides the fact that it and it's music video will be a sequel to "Dollhouse" and will be about what happens in the kitchen to the dollhouse from the song.

4. "Carousel"

Written by Melanie Martinez

Produced by Kinetics & One Love

"Carousel" is about falling in love, but not working out as it was planned. All it does is go "round and round like a horse on a carousel" and the love doesn't go anywhere. The song was featured in a commercial for the popular series American Horror Story's season Freakshow in 2014. 

5. "Alphabet Boy"

Produced by Unknown

This song is about when Melanie met a boy who thought he was way smarter and better than her, so she tries her hardest to prove him incorrect. The song was performed during the second half of the Dollhouse Tour.

6. "Soap"

Produced by Kinetics & One Love

"Soap" is about when Cry Baby falls in love again after being heartbroken by the guy from "Carousel", and regretting it. She accidentally starts to tell the new love interest that she does love him, and soon wants to take it back, as it is like "throwing a toaster in the bath tub". The song is personal and very much inspired by Melanie and her current boyfriend Miles Nasta, the drummer in her backup band.

7. "Training Wheels"

Produced by Unknown

This, unlike the other songs from the album, is a happy love song. Melanie says its about a relationship, represented by a bicycle, saying she wants to take the next step and remove the training wheels.

8. "Pity Party"

Written by Melanie Martinez & Christopher J. Baran

Produced by Christopher J. Baran & Kara DioGuardi

"Pity Party" includes a sample of "Its My Party" by Lesley Gore and is about when Cry Baby throws a birthday party but a boy she likes and other guests don't attend, leaving her to celebrate her birthday alone.

9. "Tag, You're It"

Produced by Unknown

No information is known about this song yet.

10. "Milk and Cookies"

Produced by Unknown

This song is said to contain references or be related to "Dead to Me" from the Dollhouse EP. It's about Cry Baby being kidnapped, and having to murder her kidnapper with poisonous milk and cookies. Alternatively, Melanie has stated it's also about murdering her boyfriend with poisonous milk and cookies.

11. "Pacify Her"

Produced by Unknown

"Pacify Her" is about Cry Baby liking a boy, but he is already dating someone. She thinks it's okay to tear the couple apart, because he doesn't really love his girlfriend and that girl is also quite annoying. Melanie performed this song during the second half of the Dollhouse Tour.

12. "Ms. Potato Head"

Produced by Unknown

This song is about how Melanie has seen people in Los Angeles who have had much plastic surgery done to their faces, and she compares it to playing with the Mr. Potato Head toys, because of choosing and arranging different pieces on the face.

13. "Mad Hatter"

Produced by Unknown

This song is about Cry Baby realizing she is truly crazy, and has self acceptance about that. She states that everyone is at least a little bit crazy. The lyrics contain many references to Alice in Wonderland. "Mad Hatter" was performed during the second half of the Dollhouse Tour.

DLX

14. "Half Hearted"

Written by Melanie Martinez & Miles Nasta

Produced by Unknown

Melanie and her boyfriend wrote this song about their best friend who was at the time going through a divorce. The song is about how any guy should feel in that situation.

15. "Cake"

Produced by Unknown

This song is about Cry Baby's boyfriend seeing her as a piece of cake and not loving her but simply using her for pleasure and tossing her away afterwords. The song was performed live during the second half of the Dollhouse Tour.

16. "Teddy Bear"

Produced by Unknown

This song is about a teddy bear who tries to murder Cry Baby.

WATCH the outtakes be something like "Murderous Clown" "Bloody Tea Party" "Ding Dong, The Axe Murderer Is Here" or something tacky aura1

A Thousand Words

Alone

Birthing Addicts

Bombs on Monday

Bones Are Blue

Curly Cue

Dear Porcupines

Dressed in Mistakes

Frantic

Go

Gold Diggin Love

Haunted

Heart at the Door

I Think I'm Crazy

Intervals

Million Men

Moody

Night Mime

Oddity

One

Outta Time

Psycho Lover

Race

Rough Love

Run

Schizo

Smoke

Stay in Love

Time Flies

Until Sunrise

Use Extreme Caution

Where Do Babies Come From

You Love I

Only "Bombs on Monday", "Haunted", "Where Do Babies Come From", "Night Mime", and "Schizo" are known to be recorded for Cry Baby though.

There were 40 songs recorded for the album.

A Thousand Words

Alone

Birthing Addicts

Bombs on Monday

Bones Are Blue

Curly Cue

Dear Porcupines

Dressed in Mistakes

Frantic

Go

Gold Diggin Love

Haunted

Heart at the Door

I Think I'm Crazy

Intervals

Million Men

Moody

Night Mime

Oddity

One

Outta Time

Psycho Lover

Race

Rough Love

Run

Schizo

Smoke

Stay in Love

Time Flies

Until Sunrise

Use Extreme Caution

Where Do Babies Come From

You Love I

Only "Bombs on Monday", "Haunted", "Where Do Babies Come From", "Night Mime", and "Schizo" are known to be recorded for Cry Baby though.

There were 40 songs recorded for the album.

... I don't even need to try then aura1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.