Scully

Bob Leone talks about Lana/Gaga and "So Legit"

LadyGagaLanaDelReyBeef.jpg

Lana Brasil had the honor, the privilege and the opportunity to interview a great figure of the music business, Bob Leone. One of the biggest talent scouts of America, he was responsible for launching Lana Del Rey and Lady Gaga. We talked about the past of both early career, and ‘Honeymoon’.

You were also Lady Gaga’s first businessman. Both Lana and Gaga have created a new persona, an alter ego. Did you have any influence on it?

I met Lady GaGa when she was 14. She performed at one of my Hall of Fame Open Mics and I knew immediately she was going to be a very successful artist. Her voice, her piano playing and her songs were incredible. I was her friend and mentor for five years and then accepted her offer to be her first personal manager. As you may know, she thanked me in June, when she received SHOF’s Icon Award, for supporting her in her early career. Her comments and my comments to her are on my facebook timeline.

No, I cannot honestly say I had anything to do with Stefani Germanotta becoming Lady GaGa or Lizzy Grant becoming Lana Del Rey. They chose these personas themselves based on who they truly are inside and that is why they are both authentic artists.

What is the connection between Lana and Gaga? Have they ever met?

What Lana and GaGa have in common are three things: I discovered both of them, although I want to make it clear that I was never Lana’s manager. Also, both of them took songwriting workshops at SHOF and both were featured in one of my SHOF showcases. I also featured Lana and GaGa in two showcases I produced after I left SHOF. But Lana and GaGa were not in the same workshop and they were not in the same showcases. As far as I know, they still have not met.

tumblr_m274wpYzeQ1qjphne.jpg

I know that you must’ve been asked about this a lot, but I can’t avoid the question. Some time ago one of Lana’s songs called “So Legit” was leaked, in which she talks about a girl named Stefani and some past in Williamsburg. Is that the Stefani we’re thinking?

Yes, I have been asked this question many times. Those of us who know Lana, either in real life, like me, or as fans of her songs, know that she would never write something like that about GaGa or anyone. That whole controversy blew up to ridiculous proportions. For example, some people blamed me for Lana having bad feelings about GaGa. They sad she was upset because I managed GaGa and not her. And a few days ago, under a You Tube video of GaGa thanking me at the SHOF award ceremony, someone wrote a comment saying that it was so wonderful of her to express her gratitude to me because, according to that person. I wrote “So Legit.” All I could do was laugh at something so ridiculously untrue. Like Lana, I would never write anything so cruel, especially about someone like GaGa about whom I have very positive feelings.

http://lanabrasil.com.br/interview-bob-leone-responsible-for-launching-lana-del-rey-and-lady-gaga-talks-about-the-past-of-both-early-career-and-the-honeymoon/

it was obviously about Gaga, she mentioned her by name twice... "stefani you suck" and "they're all going Gaga crazy". the good sis Lana was obviously jealous because her and Gags were in the same underground circuit in New York and only Gaga went on to have huge superstardom at the time (the song was recorded before Lana's big break)