Firdawsi

Mariah Carey Music Video Symbolism Series: Butterfly-Part 5:My All

“My All”
Picking up another Butterfly video with clear symbolism is “My All.” Some of the images were modeled after Botticelli’s The Birth Of Venus. In mythology Venus was the god of love and beauty, and some say she sprang from the sea as an adult and floated to the shore in a shell. Mariah is shown lying in a shell in the video, and in general the 1997-1998 time period is viewed as Mariah’s sexual awakening. Venus also represents the feminine, and she shines brightly as a star sometimes, but also diminishes (like feminine power). Mariah is seen as the most feminine celebrity we have, which works both for her and against her. Venus’ husband Vulcan worked to make objects that pleased Venus, but she was unable to meet his need for monogamy. Venus was torn between her husband (perhaps a parallel to Mariah’s husband Tommy), the god of destructive fire, and her true love Mars (a parallel to Derek Jeter), the god of spring/fertility. Venus has been waiting to speak, and perhaps the man in the lighthouse represents Mars/Derek. Lyrically “My All” is about Mariah wanting to have a relationship with Derek despite her marriage to Tommy. The video could also relate to the Sirens of mythology, who were seductive and pulled mariners to their islands with their singing and eventually killed them.

And that would be the end of my Butterfly series

Previous ones

Will begin my Rainbow series if this doesn't flop miserably   laughcry1

My All cry1

My all time fav.

This is like the first Mimi's song I've ever heard..

Back when I was 5 or 6

Iconic oprah2

But Butterfly album is such an underrated compared to her other 90s releases, it is my fav album oprah2

Her Butterfly era videos are amazing, truely one of her best eras musically and visually.

oprah2

My All cry1

My all time fav.

This is like the first Mimi's song I've ever heard..

Back when I was 5 or 6

Iconic oprah2

But Butterfly album is such an underrated compared to her other 90s releases, it is my fav album oprah2

Thank you guys for saving my series from flopping hard cry5

I wouldn't call it underrated. 95% of the Lambs say it's their favourite album (as they should tbh) worship1

I know xtina6

Congrats Mimi on the new Walk of Fame xtina6

It makes me happy that Xtina has one too

I wouldn't call it underrated. 95% of the Lambs say it's their favourite album (as they should tbh) worship1

Mine too

What makes it more close, is that I was born in the era

although I feel like I've told this 200x times already

Thank you guys for saving my series from flopping hard cry5

I know I'm late to the party but you're welcome, keep making them hit threads hug1

my presence is the only present you need for a hit thread

jj2

I know I'm late to the party but you're welcome, keep making them hit threads hug1

my presence is the only present you need for a hit thread

jj2

You should watch the her getting her star jj2

She looked fabulous today yas2