Firdawsi

The Story Behind the #1: Heartbreaker

Her main focus on the album was to continue on the same path she began with on Butterfly, producing a subtle combination between inspirational ballads and hip-hop beats. "Heartbreaker" marked the first time in Carey's career that a hip-hop star was included on a lead single

. While recording the album in Capri, Italy, Carey claimed to have spent most of the time developing what she felt to be a strong lead single.Originally, "Heartbreaker" was intended to be part of Carey's debut film soundtrack Glitter, however, after the film's delay, it was included on Rainbow. Prior to the song's radio release, Carey spoke of it in an interview:  

"It's pretty much [in] the classic style of my up-tempo classics like 'Fantasy' or 'Dreamlover,' [...] But it's kind of fun and has a new edge to it, I think, and definitely having Jay-Z takes it to a whole 'nother level. And [DJ] Clue makes it really fun and stuff."

After completing "Heartbreaker", Carey felt it needed a strong male verse, hoping for a rising hip-hop artist. She chose to work with Jay-Z and began re-arranging the song as he wrote out his verse. Jay-Z wrote his entire verse, and helped produce some of the song's core instrumentals. In an interview with Fred Bronson, Carey spoke of her experience working with Jay-Z:

"It's fun when you can find someone that you can relate to and that you respect. Jay-Z is someone I admire as a writer and as an artist. We could be sitting in the studio, and he can freestyle a rhyme that would be incredible just off the top of his head. He doesn't need a pen and paper. I equate that to a singer who can pick up the mike and riff and ad-lib over a song and take you to a totally new place."

In a particularly candid interview on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live, Mimi revealed that her label "was very concerned" to feature Jay Z on her 1999 single. "Today, they would beg and plead for anything featuring Jay Z," she went on. "But I was like, 'What are you talking about, it's not a hit?' And it went to No. 1!"

Mariah, ahead of the times...as always.