Holiest Dreams

Can Gaga defy the ageist music industry?

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can Lady Gaga defy the ageist industry?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking earlier about how Madonna came around when she was about 25, well she was at about the peak of her success in the 1980's when she turned 30. She had a huge album in 1998 with Ray Of Light: multiple Top 10s, +20 million albums sold. But she was turning 40, not many female artists can achieve such success when they get too "old". Her last (WW) #1 was in 2005 with Hung Up (if I'm not mistaken), which was one of if not the biggest hits she's ever had. Confessions sold +12 million albums. But she was 47.... Why is is that Madonna can defy the ageist industry only stopping (with mainstream success) in around 2015? Shes 57 now. She got her last Top 10 hit in 2012 when she was 54, even though GMAYL wasn't such a big hit, it still did go Top 10. And this all makes me think, who has that talent and that timeless ability to defy the ageist industry this time around? I'm sure someone will, and though I might be making a reach here... I think Lady Gaga could go strong into her 40s too. She's just now turning 30 in about ~4 months and people are loving her again. If she does manage to attain success this era, do you think she can defy the industry and it's inability to let female artists prosper past their "prime age"? I mean, let's look here, and this is not shade at all because I love these artists. Britney Spears just turned 34 and she's slowed down a lot, she's definitely a legend and (again) I love her. I do see her getting more hits next era but I don't think she'll last into her 40s. Christina Aguilera has slowed down a lot too. I could see P!nk carrying on, and obviously Beyonce too (even though she won't get probably a huge amount of hits unless she goes completely pop again). Katy Perry will probably have more success but I see it dwindling down with every album she releases after Prism. I'm sure she'll manage a few more #1s but I don't see her lasting into her 40s, even though she makes great music. And last, Taylor Swift is like my #1 fave but unfortunately I don't see her being able to churn out hits at 40-50. I think she could still sell albums (if that's still around) and tour, but hits probably won't come near as easy. Now when I say all of this, I'm not saying Lady Gaga will churn out hit after hit at 40+, but I fee like she can still have a few if she makes great material, and maybe impact the industry with them like Madonna did. I'm not saying she's the next Madonna, but...

can she defy it, and manage at least some mainstream success at 40-50?

14 minutes ago, TaylorNation™ said:

(...) I'm not saying Lady Gaga will churn out hit after hit at 40+, but I fee like she can still have a few if she makes great material, and maybe impact the industry with them like Madonna did. I'm not saying she's the next Madonna, but...

but lbr, she kinda is rav1 

Katy spilled that tea 7 years ago already rav1 

1 hour ago, fab said:

Gaga definitely has the best shot of having longevity because is by far the most versatile artist out of all the pop girls. rav1

and also gaga is actually talented. the other pop girls rely on big producers/writers in order to get hit singles, once they start getting old, they won't be getting the good stuff and since they have no talent, they will just flop since they cant create good shit on their own (e.g xtina)