Lion's Den

Why is Katy such a legend?

3 minutes ago, Alejandreaux said:

they were implying that she was somehow near Michael's level of commercial success in his prime, and she simply wasnt. His sales compared to hers only proves that rip3

The five #1 hit singles is the only similarity, but other than that she is in no way comparable to the numbers Michael was pulling in the 80's rip3

thats like saying Rita Ora sold 6,ooo copies with one album and then sold 3,000 copies with the next one, so she followed Michael's trajectory rip3

Lol, r u legit seriously underestimating Katy's 5 no.1s? rip3 get outta here! lmfao1 

5 minutes ago, Alejandreaux said:

they were implying that she was somehow near Michael's level of commercial success in his prime, and she simply wasnt. His sales compared to hers only proves that rip3

The five #1 hit singles is the only similarity, but other than that she is in no way comparable to the numbers Michael was pulling in the 80's rip3

thats like saying Rita Ora sold 6,ooo copies with one album and then sold 3,000 copies with the next one, so she followed Michael's trajectory rip3

Consider the chart performance of Prism's five singles: 

"Roar": No. 1 peak (two weeks)
"Unconditionally": No. 14 peak
"Dark Horse": No. 1 peak (four weeks)
"Birthday": No. 17 peak
"This Is How We Do": No. 24 peak

There were a total of four top 20 hits, and two chart-toppers: "Roar," the empowering lead single, and "Dark Horse," the oddball trap-pop anthem. In between, the austere ballad "Unconditionally" peaked at No. 14, the bouncy dance track "Birthday" topped at No. 17, and "This Is How We Do" reached No. 24 on the chart last fall. The latter became Perry's first proper single in nearly five years to miss the top 20 of the Hot 100 chart (the promotional single "Walking On Air" also charted at No. 34 on the Hot 100, but was never officially released to radio).

So, Prism didn't dominate the pop universe quite like Teenage Dream did -- but is it really fair to compare the career-defining blockbuster with its follow-up? Since the chart run of Teenage Dream has long been contrasted with that of Jackson's Bad album, let's equate Prism with MJ's Bad follow-up, 1991's Dangerous. As covered by Billboard chart whiz Gary Trust in October 2013, here's how Jackson's Dangerous singles performed on the Hot 100:

"Black or White": No. 1 peak (seven weeks)
"Remember the Time": No. 3 peak
"In the Closet": No. 6 peak
"Jam": No. 26 peak
"Heal the World": No. 27 peak
"Who Is It": No. 14 peak
"Will You Be There": No. 7 peak

It's a  startlingly similar run to that of Perry's latest album: seven total weeks at No. 1 forDangerous singles compared to six for Prism, a handful of solid but by no means defining hits ("In the Closet" is Jackson's career equivalent to Perry's "Birthday," "Will You Be There" his "Unconditionally"), and a couple relative misfires that couldn't crack the top 20. It's mind-boggling to consider that Perry has followed Michael Jackson's commercial trajectory on multiple albums now -- on the commanding Teenage Dream, and then the huge-if-not-quite-enormous success of Prism.

4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Lol, r u legit seriously under estimating Katy's 5 no.1s? rip3 get outta here! lmfao1 

yes i am oprah3

because Michael's 5 #1 hit singles came from a 30 million selling Grammy winning album, while Katy's respective album only sold 6m worldwide jj4jj4jj4

like i've said before, the 5 #1s is impressive asf and i would be bragging too if she was my fave, but to imply that she's ANYWHERE near Michael's level of success when she still has yet to surpass 14m in overall sales WW, is just delusional sis you know it jj4

1 minute ago, Alejandreaux said:

yes i am oprah3

because Michael's 5 #1 hit singles came from a 30 million selling Grammy winning album, while Katy's respective album only sold 6m worldwide jj4jj4jj4

like i've said before, the 5 #1s is impressive asf and i would be bragging too if she was my fave, but to imply that she's ANYWHERE near Michael's level when she still has yet to surpass 14m in overall sales WW, is just delusional jj4

Micahel's weren't as strong as Katy's tho jj4

check the year end charts, and you'll see jj4 

3 minutes ago, Alejandreaux said:

the 5 #1s is impressive asf and i would be bragging too if she was my fave,

The Female MJ: Katy Perry and The Male KP: Michael Jackson. That's all there is to it. lotus1  

17 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The Famel MJ: Katy Perry and The Male KP: Michael Jackson. That's all there is to it. lotus1  

you're right sis Katy is completely equal to MJ.. they're the king and queen of pop! lotus1

(except Michael has 5 DIFFERENT albums that each outsell Katy's entire discography combined, and even doubled in some cases)

Just now, Alejandreaux said:

you're right sis Katy is completely equal to MJ.. they're the king and queen of pop! lotus1

(except Michael has 5 DIFFERENT albums that each outsell Katy's entire discography combined, and even doubled in some cases)

dude, whatever, my fave is the female MJ lotus1

3 hours ago, Quinn said:

Katy Perry, currently the most viewed female artist on youtube EVER, the first woman EVER to have two diamond certified singles, the only living musician to have 5 number 1 hits from one album, the artist who currently holds the record for most watched television event in HISTORY, is definitely a legend. 

Avril Lavigne had the most viewed Youtube video at one point ny4

As if these things last um2

The internet and technology in general  is garnering more and more users and these "records" she has now will beat sooner rather than later ny4

Besides, nobody really cares about these things. ny4

At the end of the day you become a legend for having timeless music

Katy Perry's bubblegum crap will be forgotten in a decade ny4

22 hours ago, Alejandreaux said:

yes i am oprah3

like i've said before, the 5 #1s is impressive asf and i would be bragging too if she was my fave, but to imply that she's ANYWHERE near Michael's level of success when she still has yet to surpass 14m in overall sales WW, is just delusional sis you know it jj4

It's not really fair to compare album sales from the digital era to an era where albums could sell more than 10 million. I mean, Katy's album sales aren't adeles but they're actually pretty good given the time if you think about adjusted sales. What artists these days sell more than 6m copies of an album after 2008? Gaga, Katy, Adele, Taylor, ed Sheeran and drake(?) and Rihanna?

ariana is considered one of the next pop girls and Miley and their biggest albums couldn't even make it to 4.

im not saying Katy is on mjs level. Not even close. But if you're gonna drag her, do it accurately pls jj2 td is closer to 7m and prism past 4m btw. She's just about got 15m jj2 

12 minutes ago, alexander said:

It's not really fair to compare album sales from the digital era to an era where albums could sell more than 10 million. I mean, Katy's album sales aren't adeles but they're actually pretty good given the time if you think about adjusted sales. What artists these days sell more than 6m copies of an album after 2008? Gaga, Katy, Adele, Taylor, ed Sheeran and drake(?) and Rihanna?

ariana is considered one of the next pop girls and Miley and their biggest albums couldn't even make it to 4.

im not saying Katy is on mjs level. Not even close. But if you're gonna drag her, do it accurately pls jj2 td is closer to 7m and prism past 4m btw. She's just about got 15m jj2 

Yeah that is true, album sales are shit nowadays in general. What bothered me was just the people in here trying to lowkey imply that she's anywhere NEAR Michael's level of success or that she's a "legend" on his caliber just because she had 5 popular singles from one album. Or the ones saying that she's "the female MJ" or that "Katy's singles are bigger than his" and legitimately not trolling at all. Like I love Gaga and Beyonce but I could NEVER try to claim with a straight face that they've acheived a 3rd of what Michael has overall. rip3

14 minutes ago, Alejandreaux said:

Yeah that is true, album sales are shit nowadays in general. What bothered me was just the people in here trying to lowkey imply that she's anywhere NEAR Michael's level of success or that she's a "legend" on his caliber just because she had 5 popular singles from one album. Or the ones saying that she's "the female MJ" or that "Katy's singles are bigger than his" and legitimately not trolling at all. Like I love Gaga and Beyonce but I could NEVER try to claim with a straight face that they've acheived a 3rd of what Michael has overall. rip3

Given the people who made the thread and the ones posting, I'm pretty sure they're deliberately trying to wind you and the other stan bases up jj2 Only the Female MJ riling the haters!!!11

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Such a tricky question. She isn't. 

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.