edwinfg

Baz Luhrmann reveals Lana Del Rey's Young And Beautiful almost never came to be: "I was working with Prince... and we couldn't quite get it released"

90318265.jpg

At a Tribeca Q&A on Saturday with author Nelson George, his collaborator on the upcoming Netflix series The Get Down, Luhrmann revealed that despite working hard on a collaboration, he and Prince were never able to get the song into the Great Gatsby film and soundtrack.

"In one of the great sadnesses that I've been reminded of with the passing of Prince is that onGatsby … I was working with Prince on a song for Gatsby and it was a reimagined version of a song he did with Martika called 'Love … Thy Will Be Done' and it was going to be a major piece in [the film]," the filmmaker explained. "And we did work on it. He was in Australia touring and we did some work there. We did further work on it. In fact, we worked on it a lot. And there just came a moment when — it's a co-owned piece and he couldn't quite get it released. And at that stage I had to make another decision, so I went and worked with Lana Del Rey to do the piece we did."

On 5/2/2016 at 2:33 AM, Jonna Lee said:

should have been prince

I'm gonna completely disagree with that bey1

The song might have been good, but Lana was a much better fit for a film set in the 20's.

I just really don't see how Prince would have worked better in modernized 20s style music than Lana.

On May 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Living Dead Boy said:

I'm gonna completely disagree with that bey1

The song might have been good, but Lana was a much better fit for a film set in the 20's.

I just really don't see how Prince would have worked better in modernized 20s style music than Lana.

This

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.