Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Carly Rae Jepsen | Dedicated | May 17, 2019

Here is an interesting turn of events...

I had read that she was off to Europe (Sweden/UK) after her Japan dates, but she is in NYC! heading to a studio cheer1

13331044_10153668859706048_3811096621161

Last night, CRJ was on the red carpet for Grease Live! For Your Consideration. She talked to Entertainment Tonight about the direction of CRJ5: kesha4

Singer Carly Rae Jepsen is channelling the heyday of New York's disco mecca Studio 54 as she boogies on down while writing tunes for her new album.

The 30-year-old Call Me Maybe hitmaker reveals her fourth album will be a blast from the past - and songs will be nothing like the modern pop singles she has released in the past.

"I'm kind of nervous to say too much," she told Entertainment Tonight, "but I'm definitely inspired by a little bit of disco sounds. I don't know where it's coming from but I can't help myself."

CRJ also tweeted a Happy Birthday to Joe Janiak - a UK based songwriter/singer who has worked with Ellie Goulding and Take That. So she may have been in the UK after all. 

cry7

13438981_10153738807996048_6151145345453

CRJ is still in Sweden. She must be having success.

here she is with Patrik Bergen (Robyn, Lana, Charli XCX) and Noonie Bao who co-wrote Run Away With Me with Carly Rae last time. 

Interview of Carly Rae Jepsen and Danny L Harle by FADER Magazine:

The FADER spoke with Danny at London’s Field Day festival, and later with Carly on the phone from L.A., to talk about their working relationship, and what they’ve both got coming up next. 

Carly, do you feel like this is a new side of you as a musician that you're getting to explore?

CARLY: When it comes to collaborations, what excites me the most is doing something that's completely outside the world that I have been in, and that's why I was very excited to collab with Dev Hynes [on E•MO•TION]. Equally, it's fun to get into Danny's world for a while. I think it's fun to not stick to the norm of what you’re comfortable or used to, and just play. It's one of the joys of this career. 

What was it like working together in the studio?

CARLY: Danny's adorable! Every time I would do a take, he would be like, "Damn." I've always been attracted to people who aren't too coy about their emotions in the studio. It is a place to be excited, and creating the music is the most enjoyable part to me. So, if you're in a room where it just feels sterile, and nobody's really getting hyped about it, then it kind of feels like, What's the point? When you work with people who are likeminded and passionate, it just makes all the difference.

“I really started [the new album] from a disco-inspired place. Like Donna Summer: dreamy, sexy disco.” —Carly Rae Jepsen

What else are you both working on right now?

CARLY: Over the next couple months, I'll just continue chipping away on the new album. When I was on the Canadian tour [April/May 2016], we didn't have internet on the bus, so there wasn't much else to do other than write songs. Two of my favorite collaborators, my saxophone player Jared, and Tavish Crowe, who was actually a part of "Call Me Maybe," are in the band with me, so we’ll make pop-up studios with a laptop and our gear wherever we are. 

I really started [the new album] from a disco-inspired place. Like Donna Summer: dreamy, sexy disco. I think I have about 17 songs that were started [on tour], just as little demos, that I [then brought] to Sweden. I went to Sweden for two and a half weeks, and I worked with a lot of the people I worked with on the last album, Mattman and Robin, and I had sessions with Karl [Johan Schuster] and Rami [Yacoub]. When we were in Sweden, we probably had seven or eight completely new ideas. That's the fun right now: to just write and play, and listen back, and see what's starting to feel right. It’s still so new.

There's a lot of people in the world who I'd be really excited to work with. I'm actually going to the studio with Danny and Nate [Campany, songwriter] and Kyle [Shearer, producer], and we're going to write some things, potentially for my album, because the vibes were good [on “Super Natural”]. I had a meeting in London with Rod Temperton, the writer of "Thriller." He's just the most amazing man — he played me the "Thriller" demo, which was crazy to hear. In the original lyrics, [Michael Jackson] used to be like, Starlight, stars so bright. It was just cool seeing his process, and meeting the man behind that killer hit. We just talked about what disco meant to him. I'm just going to dig in, and do my research, and figure out what exactly it is about disco that's exciting me. But, I started in one place with E•MO•TION, and then I landed in the ‘80s, and that was an unexpected journey. I'm allowing myself the freedom to not be totally committed.

DANNY: I’m working on so much stuff. I used to have 20 unfinished songs; now I have like, 100. I’m at the whim of whatever artistic direction I want to go in. Columbia have been amazing for that. They just follow the route that I want to go in and that will produce the best results from both sides, from the audience and me. That’s all I can do. I could never ever do a thing like make some tropical house or something if I wasn’t into it. It would have to come out of a place of love. 

Also, part of this Neon Gold Records writing week, there are other artists that are at the Maderas Village but not sure if CRJ has worked with them.

• Captain Cuts - Ben Berger, Ryan McMahon, and Ryan Rabin
  • James Flannigan
  • Bearson
  • Lizzy Plapinger
  • Walk The Moon band
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.