Carly Rae Jepsen | Dedicated | May 17, 2019

Kuba    13,132
7 hours ago, Urbanov said:

I’m actually... disappointed mad5 

Yeah me too bebe1

Every song sounds kinda samey and nothing really hits the highs of emotion. Hope it grows on me though nnn

Urbanov    45,598
11 minutes ago, Kuba said:

Yeah me too bebe1

Every song sounds kinda samey and nothing really hits the highs of emotion. Hope it grows on me though nnn

That was my initial thought too. mad5 Now That I Found You still slaps anyway

Urbanov    45,598
6 hours ago, ajp said:

Are you OK? brit3

I expected something more diverse, just because you blindly stan doesn’t mean that rest of the people will praise the fuck out of the album

FMKK    347

Faves so far are Julian, Now That I Found You, Too Much, Your Girl and Feels Right. I love the vibe throughout and I think she does capture that chill disco mood she was talking about. Not quite as much of an adrenaline rush as Emotion was on first listen but I need more time for the songs to grow on me. 

Hermione    25,729

The drop at 1:28 in Real Love... rip2

Wasn't expecting that at all and it elevated the song from average Carly fare to top 10 of her discography. OMG.

Hermione    25,729

I don't get why some people are saying she hasn't evolved or grown at all. I'm not attacking anyone but I kind of feel crazy reading that and I'd like to hear what people mean by that. I've listened to her entire discography inside and out and Dedicated explores more influences than anything else she's done. It's a lot less samey than Kiss and Emotion and much weirder and more experimental.

Half of it is the sugary 80s pop we've come to expect from her, but the other half has ska, disco, whatever Everything He Needs is supposed to be, and a few more. This is the most sonically diverse she's ever gotten in my opinion. And in terms of lyrics, she's more mature and confident here than ever before while retaining her trademark Carly charm. I heard someone call it Emotion's cooler older sister and that sums it up really well. I don't see how this is a step back or her getting too comfortable at all. And obviously nothing reaches the high of Run Away With Me (although a few moments come close for me personally), but it's a far more consistent album all the way through. I don't know why I was ever worried for it, of course she was going to come through. I think people have falsely remembered Emotion as this perfect album with no flaws, and even though it's my favorite pop album ever it certainly has issues.

Hermione    25,729
3 minutes ago, Merryem said:

right words wrong time...she did what she had to do

Yes! It sounds a lot like these songs to me, but still original.

Merryem    6,823

after giving it some time to sink in I DEFINITELY like i more than e-mo-tion gaga3 and that's saying a lot considering i love emotion. maybe it's recency bias but the songs just sound so cohesive, fun, and mature gaga3 probably my favorite album out this year so far, alongside titanic rising and abiior gaga3 

ajp    8,788
15 hours ago, Urbanov said:

I expected something more diverse, just because you blindly stan doesn’t mean that rest of the people will praise the fuck out of the album

I respect your opinion. I just thought you were missing something at first listen. rav3

ajp    8,788

I got a chance to listen to it while on transit today. I’m impressed at how consistent it is. Emotion was a bit eclectic and some of the tracks were great songs, but put together in a collection was a bit hard to swallow at first. It took me a long time to adapt. Dedicated has been instant.

I love that this is more a pure sound for Carly. Kiss and Emotion had the huge named producers and I wasn’t quite sure if it was her story behind the songs, but on Dedicated, she uses almost unknown collaborators which means her story finally got to show through.

There isn’t one song I would skip. If there is one negative...it’s some of the overproduction on one or two tracks, but nothing other than that. 

The promo has been excellent this era. I’ve been loving all the interviews and getting the background of the era. It’s fantastic! oprah2

Venom    6,006

Most solid pop album I've heard in years

Favorites: Julien, I'll Be Your Girl, Party For One
Least favorites: Real Love, For Sure

zX8KPi7.gif

BJORK    7,349

He Needs Me, Automarically In Love >>>> Run Away With Me.

FMKK    347

Can someone tell me what Want You In My Room isn't at least two minutes longer? Justice for Jack Antonoff.

ajp    8,788
5 hours ago, FMKK said:

Can someone tell me what Want You In My Room isn't at least two minutes longer? Justice for Jack Antonoff.

I know...but considering they recorded enough songs together for a whole album, we are lucky to get this fall8

ajp    8,788

Electric Guest had some nice words about their collaboration:

Hermione    25,729

Did the album make anyone else cry? Maybe I was just starved for new Carly, but a few songs hit me really hard. More specifically Too Much, The Sound, and Real Love. They're all so pretty and relatable.

Sometime this week I'm going to pick up my best friend I haven't seen in months and we're going to drive around and listen to it. I'm so excited! cry9