Firdawsi

Rewinding the Charts: In 2001, 'Lady Marmalade' Got a Makeover

CODA-pink-lil-kim-mya-christina-aguilera

Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and P!nk took Labelle's 1975 No. 1 to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 for a second time.

HOW MANY POP DIVAS DOES IT TAKE to remake "Lady Marmalade"? In 1975, Patti LaBelle, Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash – performing as Labelle – turned the risque (for its time) funk potboiler into one of the decade's most distinctive hits. Twenty-six years later, four of the brashest stars of the 2000s – Christina Aguilera, P!nk, Lil' Kim and Mya – plus Missy Elliott (who produced the track with Rockwilder and Ron Fair and raps on it), rerecorded "Lady" and duplicated its chart success at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The remake, which was featured on the soundtrack to the Baz Luhrmann-directed musical film Moulin Rouge!, spent its first of five weeks at No. 1 on the June 2, 2001, chart. The song also won the Grammy Award for best pop collaboration with vocals in 2002, and its burlesque-style music video (with a cameo by Elliott) won video of the year at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards.

Written by Bob Crewe and Kenny Nolan (and inspired by New Orleans sex workers), "Lady Marmalade" is one of nine songs to top the Hot 100 in both its original iteration and reworked form; the latter's lyrics were altered slightly to fit the movie's premise. The track became Lil' Kim and Mya's first (and, so far, sole) Hot 100 No. 1, P!nk's first of four and Aguilera's fourth of five.

X

The song that made me a stan mess1

I loved it so much, and of course I chose Xtina over all those singers, because she carries the song and the video!

I didn't know much about albums and all so I went to a music store, asked for "A Christina Aguilera album" in hopes of getting an album with this song, but they sold me Just Be Free that just came out rip3rip3rip3

I was like "Where is Genie, what is this" rip2

2 hours ago, Vertigo-go said:

I loved it so much, and of course I chose Xtina over all those singers, because she carries the song and the video!

I didn't know much about albums and all so I went to a music store, asked for "A Christina Aguilera album" in hopes of getting an album with this song, but they sold me Just Be Free that just came out rip3rip3rip3

Omg, how did you not unstan after JBF fall2

14 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

Omg, how did you not unstan after JBF fall2

I DON'T KNOW!

It actually seemed to have bops at the time. Don't forget it hadn't been that long after the original recording back then. Of course now, they all aged horribly.

17 hours ago, Vertigo-go said:

So...how old are you?dead4

13 hours ago, xtinaslays said:

This song was really popular when I was young fall2 I didn't even know back then who were the singers fall2 

How times change. Now nobody knows who were the OTHER non-X singers.

I googled Mya and apparently she had like five albums released in Japan ONLY rip3

5 minutes ago, BackToBasics said:

I don't believe youjj2

You're 18 dead7

XXXposed bey1 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

And they say new guys aren't interested in Xtina bey3

she doesn't have a dick sia3