AtomX

Listening to Ray of Light for the first time!

5 minutes ago, AtomX said:

I love the genre/sound she was attempting to reach but like...the execution didn't live up to par with anything that I would've expected from her. I think the problem was her voice and the lack of refinement in her singing style. 

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, at points it feels like it sort of lacks emotional involvement.

4 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I feel like BTS works best for the listener when they put it into the context of her career at the time. It's so intimate and telling and ugh, so good

It was the most logical step for her at that time and it fits perfectly between Erotica and Ray of Light, I think.

OT: Shanti is such a weird song but it's adorable.

1 minute ago, Vilppu said:

It was the most logical step for her at that time and it fits perfectly between Erotica and Ray of Light, I think.

This is very true. I think her albums almost pair off quite nicely: M/LAV (basic), TB/LAP (becoming an artisté), E/BS (sensual, rhythmic feel), ROL/M (electronica + huge commercial success), AL/COADF (this is the only one I struggle to label but I feel like they sit together nicely regardless), HC/MDNA (mess). The only one I think would be a better pairing that doesn't fit here is Music and American Life. Now we have to wait and see what RH is paired with rih1

7 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, at points it feels like it sort of lacks emotional involvement.

OT: Shanti is such a weird song but it's adorable.

Yeah that, it just feels like the lack of be living the material itself

5 minutes ago, Shiver said:

This is very true. I think her albums almost pair off quite nicely: M/LAV (basic), TB/LAP (becoming an artisté), E/BS (sensual, rhythmic feel), ROL/M (electronica + huge commercial success), AL/COADF (this is the only one I struggle to label but I feel like they sit together nicely regardless), HC/MDNA (mess). The only one I think would be a better pairing that doesn't fit here is Music and American Life. Now we have to wait and see what RH is paired with rih1

Ignoring the debut album shade, this is really on point eek.gif

____

Frozen used to be my favourite Madge song and while I don't love it as much now, I have some very nice memories attached to it.

1 hour ago, AtomX said:

1. Drowned World / Substitute for Love

8/10

This a really strong opener and it's the direction that I want her future albums to go in (if she keeps making more music). The only negative is that the lyrics seem to lack a distinct message. 

Are you sure you're not listening to RH or something? ari1

26 minutes ago, AtomX said:

7. Sky Fits Heaven

9/10

Haunting yet really beautiful. This should've been a collab with Kylie Minogue and idk why. cry9

tbh listen to Impossible Princess if you havent already next theyre always so so compared, tho IP is more trip hop this is more electronica

27 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

It took years to grow on me as an album. I totally understand why someone may complain about it being boring or too mellow but I love it. You need to get into Sanctuary though, that and the title track is, like, her best 1-2 punch ever.

I love tea.

which is why i said title track and sanctuary are the nelle hooper songs so jj2 

3 minutes ago, Mint said:

tbh listen to Impossible Princess if you havent already next theyre always so so compared, tho IP is more trip hop this is more electronica

which is why i said title track and sanctuary are the nelle hooper songs so jj2 

I really need to get into IP some time so maybe we should do it together jj2 I do occasionally use the version of Breathe from Ultimate Kylie jj2

7 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

Sanctuary is not Nelle Hooper though...? Or am I missing something?

Mess. Add in Human Nature and Secret too in that case. So like half the album rih2 

5 minutes ago, Shiver said:

I really need to get into IP some time so maybe we should do it together jj2 I do occasionally use the version of Breathe from Ultimate Kylie jj2

Breathe is amazing ugh. And yeah you really need to sit with it and have the patience, the best songs are @ the bottom jj2

1 minute ago, AtomX said:

9. The Power of Goodbye

6/10

Decent but not really that special. I like how strong it feels but feels more like a closer track. 

She left something VERY special for the closing track you just wait jj2