Dr. Slay

Donald Trump Officially Nominated for Presidency

donald-trump-make-america-great-1.jpg

Donald Trump supporters celebrated their once unthinkable capture of the Republican presidential nomination on Tuesday night as state delegates took turns to count up the votes from his remarkable sweep of the party’s 2016 primary election. Crossing the threshold of 1,237 votes, Trump officially became the Republican party’s nominee for president.

Live Republican convention live: Donald Trump officially nominated for president

Follow live updates from Cleveland as the Trump campaign fights back against claims Melania Trump’s speech was lifted from Michelle Obama

The official confirmation of the 2016 nominee was in little doubt after a last-minute procedural rebellion was quickly killed off on Monday, but the ceremonial “call of the roll of states” served as a powerful reminder of the scale of his victory over 16 competing candidates with the largest ever vote haul in a Republican primary.

“It is my honour to throw Donald Trump over the top with 89 delegates,” said his son Donald Trump Jr as he announced the results from his home state of New York. “Congratulations Dad, we love you.”

Each of the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and far-flung Pacific territories took turns to read out their delegate split, inducing huge cheers and the occasional jeers when the turn came to the handful of contests won by rivals Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush and John Kasich.

“To paraphrase Buffalo Springfield, there is something happening here and what it is is exactly clear,” said the South Carolina lieutenant governor, Henry McMaster, as he seconded the proposed nomination of Trump. “This is not a dream. This is the real thing. This is deadly serious,” added McMaster, who wasthe first elected official in the country to endorse Trump in January.

Those closest to the campaign greeted Trump’s vindication by pointing out just how few politicians, pundits and journalists ever thought his national victory – secured in a total of 38 states – was possible.

Earlier in the day, campaign chairman Paul Manafort said the nomination was the “culmination of a one-year campaign by Mr Trump, a campaign that defied expectations of pundits and the political class”.

“He is excited that his quest will finally come to an end and all of you who doubted him will no longer be able to say ‘yes, but it may never happen’,” he told reporters. “So we are excited about that.”

The few figures of the party establishment who have travelled to Cleveland were also paraded on stage on Tuesday to give their blessing to the Trump coronation.

Who supports Donald Trump? The new Republican center of gravity

House speaker Paul Ryan, a longtime critic of Trump’s divisive rhetoric on race and immigration, was required to oversee the proceedings in his capacity as convention chair.

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, who was also slow the endorse the nominee at first, was due to lead a group of 10 freshmen senators on stage to pay their respects.

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, who began the lengthy nominating process at 6pm in Cleveland by formally proposing Trump, explained the once shocking outcome as a product of the troubled mood among American voters.

“Americans love our country like no other country on earth, but we have gotten off course and the American people know it,” said Sessions. “This time it is different. One man, Donald Trump, was not intimidated ... He could not be silenced, he gave voice to the people’s concerns,” he added. “He said that trade deals had hurt our people, that our border must be strong, that we must defeat the terrorists who have attacked us.”

The Alabama senator also hailed Trump as a unifier in the face of partisan gridlock in Washington: “We operate like the tench warfare system of World War One, where hundreds of thousands die but no ground is won.”

But the competing passions among even Republican activists were on display in the convention centre as they booed the few states that had a majority of delegates against Trump.

Others took the opportunity to list their state’s attributes before a primetime TV audience – “Alaska - energy, tourism, fishing!” – or boast of their loyalty: “Western Samoa, the whole kit and caboodle – all nine delegates to the future president of the United States, Donald J Trump.” California boasted that it was “100% rock solid” with 172 votes, even though all other candidates had dropped out of the race by the time it reached this most populous state.

McMaster recalled the long lines at Trump campaign rallies all year, with supporters “waiting nine, ten hours just for a chance to get inside the building”. “He may be the only man perfectly equipped the win the ferocious battle ahead,” said McMaster.

“Donald Trump is not merely a candidate. Donald Trump is a movement,” concluded New York congressman Chris Collins as he also seconded the formal proposal of the candidate. “Western New York has been devastated by unfair trade deals, allowing countries like China and Mexico to steal our jobs,” he added.

It's official: We're doomed

tumblr_inline_o60cvwJm2K1r2ya1z_500.gif

Goodbye America

I'm moving to Canada with @LadyGootgoot to live in his attic

This is all honestly so surreal. Out of a field of 17 possible nominees, Donald emerges as the chosen one. It's truly unbelievable. I voted for Rand Paul in the primary as a vote against Trump, now I plan to vote for Gary Johnson because the main two options are just that awful. As the conventions set the stage for the election, I truly fear for the next 4 years with Clinton or Trump in office :( America needs a miracle. 

Even though we've known he would get the nomination for awhile - it's still shocking that him being the president of the United States is a major possibility. 

And even if he doesn't win, all the people who wanted him to win will still be here. 

tumblr_nla2gqh7Fd1r8jjn6o2_250.gif

1 hour ago, Dr. Slay said:

I'm moving to Canada with @LadyGootgoot to live in his attic

Upvoted only for this reason. My attic isn't really suitable for living in. So I'm clearing out my basement and I can hold about maybe 5 people down there? First come first served!