SockBitch

In The Zone - First Listen Review

Listen up sluts. I have a confession. My stanning for the legendary Princess of Pop, Miss Britney Jean haself has (unfortunately) fluctuated on and off throughout the years. One of the consequences of that tragic mistake is that little 10 year old SockBitch had somehow endure life without the immaculate gift from heaven that is ITZ. Yes, I have loved the FUCK out of Me Against the Music and Toxic for 13 years now, but I literally could not name another song off the album until now, and it's all thanks do you dear FOTP. All this ITZ worship surrounding Glory (peace be upon it) has made me go back and listen through it for the first time and needless to say, this was me by the end:

"I'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're toxic?"

I figured a good old fashioned track-by-track review was in order, so without further ado, "all my people in the crowd, grab a partner, take it down."

1. Me Against the Music (feat. Our Lady Queen of the Universe Madonna)

As I said before, I love this song so much. The iconic pre-chorus. The mess music video with that flawless walkography. Madonna's awkward "plz take me seriously" phase from the early '00s. It's all so good. Too good. I need a live reunion ladies. 5/5

2. (I Got That) Boom Boom [feat. Ying Yang Twins]

The fact that Brit collaborated with YYT is so fucking hilarious to me. This song doesn't really do much for me on its own, but I feel like it does a great job laying the foundation for the rest of the album. If MATM is the explosive opening, this is where the dust settles a bit and you get your first glimpse of the musical journey ahead. Cute instrumentation with he dulcimer and timpani. A fun bop, but it belongs at the pre-game, not the club. 4/5

3. Showdown

This song is really where the cooing whisper of her vocals really got to me. Like damn honey, I see you. It's also so classic Britney in that there are like 10 million different things happening at once that should be a total mess and yet it all somehow flows so smoothly. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't really go anywhere new after like the first 35 seconds, but it's still a perfectly enjoyable album cut that manages to not feel too much like filler. 3/5

4. Breathe on Me

Flop stan that I am, her Billboard Medley was actually the first time I heard this angelic masterpiece. I don't know how I managed this long. I always like etherealney, and I feel like this fits in well with like Heaven on Earth and Perfect Lover. Her moaning on the verses *almost* made me question my flaming homosexuality. 5/5

5. Early Mornin'

Where the fuck did this masterpiece come from and where did it go? So sultry. Such a good groove. Great for slow drives or nasty dancing. The yawning giggles alone > careers. My new "why the fuck did I stay up until 1:30 am watching Glory reaction videos" anthem. 5/5

6. Toxic

Find me a human being that doesn't like this song and I'll show you a goddam Liar. There aren't even words to describe this iconic smash hit, other than to say without hyperbole that I'm fairly certain it honestly is my favorite Britney song. It just has everything she does best condensed into such a tight and cohesive bop. Flawless. Life-changing. Miraculous. 5/5

7. Outrageous

Move over Rihanna, we got the original #NoPhucks queen in the house. So much fun. I always love DGAFney. I do have to confess I definitely prefer the Junkie XL Dancehall mix from My Prerogative, but both versions are great. The album has that nice 8-bit snake charmer outro that sets the mood for the next masterpiece on the album. 4/5

8. Touch of God's Hand

Guys. I. AM. SHOOK. fall1 Like BOM, I hadn't heard this song before the Billboard awards, and I kinda just tuned it out then. But. Holy fuck. The mysterious opening. The slow build. That bassline. Her flawless cooing. The slow realization that she's 100% talking about finger banging herself cuz she's an independent woman that don't need to man. and then those fucking flawless late 90s/early 00s drums kick in with the richly layered vocals in the pre-chorus at :45 and you ARISE FROM THE TOMB AND ARE BORN AGAIN scream1 scream1. This song is truly flawless and magical and mystical and empowering and iconic and needs to be added to her next album and dropped as a single, Radar-style. 5/5

9. The Hook Up

The prequel to Slumber Party. It's placement after TOMH is a bit of a jarring transition, but it's a fun, twerk-worthy transition into the final act of the album. 4/5

10. Shadow

Tbh, ballads are never my favorite from Brit (we'll talk more about that in a bit), but I actually really like this! Getting minor Perfume vibes from it as well. Melodramatic in all the right ways, quality production, strong bridge, and such a great anthemic chorus. 4/5

11. Brave New Hoe

YAS. YAS. YAAAAAAAAASSS. Weird Britney strikes again. The rapping. The almost unintelligible vocoders. The weird nursery rhyme melody. It's just SO MUCH fun. I have to say I'm a little distracted by the fact that it sounds just like Beautiful Stranger, and that the meter of the verses is IDENTICAL to Pitfall's Fireball. But comparisons to two complete bops aside, this song is amazing. 5/5

12. Everytime

Alright. The party had to end some time, and I'm just gonna be real, I CANNOT get into this song for the life of me. Maybe it's because I hate piano ballads? Maybe it's because I think the harp is the most annoying instrument in an orchestra? Maybe it's because her falsetto tone has always rubbed me the wrong way? Idk. Look, I know this song came out of a really important and vulnerable time, and the lyrics are amazing. But I HATE this song and I don't think that'll ever change. 2/5 xtina14

Conclusions

This album truly is the masterpiece y'all have been proclaiming it to be and I'm so mad at myself for not seeing the light earlier brit2 brit2 

It made me appreciate her so much more, but I also really look at her whole discography differently now. Seeing the DNA of this laced through her best work (Blackout & Glory) and completely absent from her worst (Circus & BJ) really helps me understand her artistic voice and where her true happy spot is. Thank you for your unending stanning. Without it, I honestly might have continued on in life, ignorant of this holy testament. As the great Plato once said, "A life without In the Zone is not worth living."

12 minutes ago, Erotic said:

If you think that was good, wait until you discover the unreleased  ITZ tracks. Check out Girls and Boys, The Answer and Don't Hang Up sis, they are lesser known officially released track from this era sia1 

Ugh I will cry1

You in America yet? How's it treating you?

5 minutes ago, Jae said:

Everytime hate tina1 

I just call 'em like I see 'em rav3 rav3 

9 minutes ago, Coupure Électrique said:

Have you heard all the other albums, at least the ones post-ITZ??

Yes! Blackout remains my favorite of hers, and honestly one of my favorite albums of all time. Circus is kind of a flop but has some good highlights. Femme Fatale is just nonstop bangers, but it also lacks that *Britney* touch. Britney Jean is Circus 2.0. Glory will probably hold its spot sandwiched between Blackout and (now) ITZ, followed closely by FF and then just a bunch of alsorans holding up the end of the pack.

5 minutes ago, SockBitch said:

Yes! Blackout remains my favorite of hers, and honestly one of my favorite albums of all time. Circus is kind of a flop but has some good highlights. Femme Fatale is just nonstop bangers, but it also lacks that *Britney* touch. Britney Jean is Circus 2.0. Glory will probably hold its spot sandwiched between Blackout and (now) ITZ, followed closely by FF and then just a bunch of alsorans holding up the end of the pack.

Yeah, I was definitely going to recommend Blackout if you hadn't heard it. It's one album I feel like truly lives up to the praise it's given.

2 hours ago, Erotic said:

If you think that was good, wait until you discover the unreleased  ITZ tracks. Check out Girls and Boys, The Answer and Don't Hang Up sis, they are lesser known officially released track from this era sia1 

OMG THERE ARE BONUS TRACKS?!!?!?!?!

10 minutes ago, BJORK said:

OMG THERE ARE BONUS TRACKS?!!?!?!?!

You didn't know? dead4 

The Answer and Don't Hang Up are bonus tracks on the international CD and US edition of the ITZ DVD with Girls and Boys and I've Just Begun (Having My Fun) being on the International edition of the DVD 

9 minutes ago, Erotic said:

You didn't know? dead4 

The Answer and Don't Hang Up are bonus tracks on the international CD and US edition of the ITZ DVD with Girls and Boys and I've Just Begun (Having My Fun) being on the International edition of the DVD 

OMG i have to get my hands on these

13 minutes ago, Hot as Ice said:

I never knew ITZ without The Answer and Don't Hang Up, I think all Australian copies have it. Fucking love The Answer

Ever since I bought ITZ they've been there. I've always looked at them as part of the official album rather than just bonus tracks.

6 hours ago, Erotic said:

Ever since I bought ITZ they've been there. I've always looked at them as part of the official album rather than just bonus tracks.

Same, they just fit so well and feel like a part of the album. Does your copy have that awful (imo anyway) of MATM after Everytime? I chucked it on the expanded version of B In The Mix I made because I just felt it killed the flow of the album. Who puts a fcking remix before proper songs, even if they are bonus tracks brit3