Sylk

Why is Batterfly so OVERRATED?

Butterfly deserves its critical acclaim though, and actually deserves to be overrated since it has actual quality backing the album up.
Lemme list down the reasons to why Butterfly deserves its acclaim

oprah12

1. The album is flawless from the start to the end of the album. It's very cohesive and is certainly Mariah's best album imo
2. The era created some of Mariah's best music videos (The Roof, Honey and more)
3. Flawless songwriting. The title track alone destroy many careers and lives, because it was the song that turned me into a stan hihihi
4. The album that transitioned Mariah into the urban field as well as changing her image drastically in a good way, after she was dubbed as a schmaltzy adult contemporary singer for so long
5. Fantastic vocals. It was the first time we truly heard Mariah in her whisper register and I think that made the album extremely ethereal in a way
6. The choice of covering The Beautiful Ones on the album, which is certainly one of the best Prince covers I've heard even though it's 6 minutes long
7. Phenomenal visuals. I mean, the album cover ALONE screams legendary and iconic

oprah12
I'm sure there are more reasons that I didn't mentioned but these are some of the reasons I can think of for now
oprah12

1 hour ago, Jon. said:

Butterfly deserves its critical acclaim though, and actually deserves to be overrated since it has actual quality backing the album up.
Lemme list down the reasons to why Butterfly deserves its acclaim

oprah12

1. The album is flawless from the start to the end of the album. It's very cohesive and is certainly Mariah's best album imo
2. The era created some of Mariah's best music videos (The Roof, Honey and more)
3. Flawless songwriting. The title track alone destroy many careers and lives, because it was the song that turned me into a stan hihihi
4. The album that transitioned Mariah into the urban field as well as changing her image drastically in a good way, after she was dubbed as a schmaltzy adult contemporary singer for so long
5. Fantastic vocals. It was the first time we truly heard Mariah in her whisper register and I think that made the album extremely ethereal in a way
6. The choice of covering The Beautiful Ones on the album, which is certainly one of the best Prince covers I've heard even though it's 6 minutes long
7. Phenomenal visuals. I mean, the album cover ALONE screams legendary and iconic

oprah12
I'm sure there are more reasons that I didn't mentioned but these are some of the reasons I can think of for now
oprah12

How about the fact that it didn't win a Grammy after all the slayage? oprah12 

8 hours ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

the Grammys are trash they snubbed Mariah year after year trash1 

38 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

RainBORE is absolute GARBAGE with no redeeming qualities and deserves every single drag it gets (and more), it being compared to ButterBIBLE is just lmfao1lmfao1 

Emancipation too lmfao1 

i'm so sorry sweetie, I'm praying for you 

RainBIBLE is just as good as Butterfly! Emancipation too. Butterfly isn't the only best album moo has..

8 hours ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

Like what our good sis @Sylk has mentioned, the Grammys are trash sometimes oprah12

Especially after the Daydream fiasco oprah12

11 minutes ago, Jon. said:

Like what our good sis @Sylk has mentioned, the Grammys are trash sometimes oprah12

Especially after the Daydream fiasco oprah12

omg that makes me so mad ew2 

Daydream deserved all the Grammys it was nomed for ew2 

also let's not forget the time she has been nominated for Best Pop Vocal and won only once! Emotions lost.. EMOTIONS ew2 

9 hours ago, H.O.N.E.Y said:

lmfao1

Honey, Mariah has 5 Grammy Awards in total. 

She won two of those five Grammy Awards in 1991 for self-titled, one for Best New Artist and the other for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

She won the other three Grammy Awards 15 years later for the Emancipation of Mimi in 2006.

She's been nominated 34 times in total by the Grammy Awards - and despite all of the slayage she unleashed on the American Music Industry both commercially and critically in that 15 year time span, she only won that award five times. Such as Daydream for example, I think the good sis @Sylk mentioned it in the post above. She had one of the best, if not the best, album of the year, it broke all sorts of records, which remain in Godriah's gloriously manicured hands to this day jj1 - it was nominated 6 times and won nothing. She had to deal with the same bullshit with Musicbox, and Unplugged the years before.

The problem with Grammys is that the awards are given to artists by Music Business elites - who hated and resented Mariah for her relationship with Tommy Mottola.

The only reason she won the three for TEOM is because they couldn't get away with paying her dust that year - not when she didn't have Tommy Mottola, and had the biggest selling female album of the year and the song of the decade on it.

For those reasons, and for many more reasons for many other artists, the Grammy Awards mean nothing

/endrant

14 minutes ago, Mom said:

lmfao1

Honey, Mariah has 5 Grammy Awards in total. 

She won two of those five Grammy Awards in 1991 for self-titled, one for Best New Artist and the other for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

She won the other three Grammy Awards 15 years later for the Emancipation of Mimi in 2006.

She's been nominated 34 times in total by the Grammy Awards - and despite all of the slayage she unleashed on the American Music Industry both commercially and critically in that 15 year time span, she only won that award five times. Such as Daydream for example, I think the good sis @Sylk mentioned it in the post above. She had one of the best, if not the best, album of the year, it broke all sorts of records, which remain in Godriah's gloriously manicured hands to this day jj1 - it was nominated 6 times and won nothing. She had to deal with the same bullshit with Musicbox, and Unplugged the years before.

The problem with Grammys is that the awards are given to artists by Music Business elites - who hated and resented Mariah for her relationship with Tommy Mottola.

The only reason she won the three for TEOM is because they couldn't get away with paying her dust that year - not when she didn't have Tommy Mottola, and had the biggest selling female album of the year and the song of the decade on it.

For those reasons, and for many more reasons for many other artists, the Grammy Awards mean nothing

/endrant

omg a RANT alex1 

I agree, that the Grammys are influenced by Record Labels, they rarely award for musical purposes anymore. trash1 

And I also believe Tommy had something to do with Mariah losing all the Grammys  that night for Daydream, cause allegedly they had a huge fight right after oprah12 whatever the tea, Mariah DESERVED ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR GODDREAM meg1 

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

omg a RANT alex1 

I agree, that the Grammys are influenced by Record Labels, they rarely award for musical purposes anymore. trash1 

And I also believe Tommy had something to do with Mariah losing all the Grammys  that night for Daydream, cause allegedly they had a huge fight right after oprah12 whatever the tea, Mariah DESERVED ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR GODDREAM meg1 

If I remember correctly, Tommy ordered all of the cameras off of Mariah whenever she would lose because she was so upset everytime she would lose. 

And I think for Daydream and albums before it, it was because Tommy would pressure the committee itself - and for albums after, it's because he wanted to get back at her. 

The whole thing is just fucked.

1 hour ago, Mom said:

If I remember correctly, Tommy ordered all of the cameras off of Mariah whenever she would lose because she was so upset everytime she would lose. 

And I think for Daydream and albums before it, it was because Tommy would pressure the committee itself - and for albums after, it's because he wanted to get back at her. 

The whole thing is just fucked.

thank GOD Mariah escaped Tommy Controlla cry6 

11 hours ago, Vilppu said:

RainBORE is absolute GARBAGE with no redeeming qualities and deserves every single drag it gets (and more), it being compared to ButterBIBLE is just lmfao1lmfao1 

Emancipation too lmfao1 

On 10/11/2016 at 6:54 PM, Skyline said:

Butterfly remains flawless from the first to the last song on the album. What other album does she have with this type of consistency? Certainly not Shit=Rainbow2!

The Roof >> Rainbow
Breakdown >> Rainbow
Fourth of July >> Rainbow

The decline of quality from Butterfly to Rainbow is probably the worst decline between albums she's ever had. An tragic follow up to a flawless album.

Fuck off the riff in the last chorus of Can't Take That Away >>>>>>>>>>>>>> careers meg1 Her boobs looked the best in this era too sia1 

But true Butterfly remains superior though sia1

Butterfly is a flawless, cohesive, album it sheds quality. 

Butterfly features Mariah's most beautifully put together tracklist, every song is a 10/10. No song feels out of place. 

Any song can appeal to the brainless GP, a mariah stan, your mom ect. It is timeless and anyone can appreciate it. This album isn't just for stans, just normal music listeners can find this album amazing. 

Butterfly includes Some of Mariah's best vocals, best music video, & all around some of her best songs in her discography. 

Rainbow is a hot mess, took a nose dive in quality and lacks any coherent narrative. The songs do not flow and at times some songs feel out of place, of if they weren't the first choice. It just feels like this album is a bunch of rejects from previous albums that Mariah didn't want to release but she decided to anyway. Many of the songs have tons of flaws that are just so obvious. I would say the only good songs on Rainbow are the singles, but really Heartbteaker is only worth the listen. 

Even as a lead single it just feels and falls flat. It's hard to compete when you release the best album of your career, but even by Mariah standards Heartbreak doesn't even seem like a song on paper Mariah would do. 

Its just a weird album with a weird tone, Butterfly is Mariah at her very best