Entea

Hilary Duff apologizes for 'racist' halloween costumes

11 minutes ago, Sheezus said:

This has nothing to do with the point I made. I was pointing out a fact. You had no way of knowing that I didn't know about other immigrants struggles in North America. Maybe actually read what I said. hottie1

Still white, just saying, also slavery is basically and everyone thing, but if you were educated you would know that hottie1

Sis what rip2

1 minute ago, Urbanov said:

Next time print out list of things white people cannot wear so it's gonna be easier jj3

I hate 2016 honestly jj4

I mean, it's relatively few things that are really gauche. I'd only say like....most any clothing with a religious significance and any sort of skin color changing that's done specifically to mock another race (and that's not just a thing for white people). I don't consider people painting themselves full on black if they're gonna be a shadow or something to be racist at all, for example. Unless you've seen real blackface/yellowface that was done back in the day (even by huge companies like Disney), you don't really get a feel for how bad it is. There has to be an intent for it to be making fun of another race and it's really pretty obvious when you see it, most of the time.

also you can take elements of another culture and make use of them in a respectful way- his costume was just in poor taste. 

I.E. cultural appropriation is not the be-all-end-all. you can still make use of cultural aspects, just use common sense and you'll be fine

2 minutes ago, Hannah. said:

Well she shouldn't have appropriated Pilgrim culture!!1!1!1!11 :( 

what's pilgrim culture dead4 I thought this was mostly about him distastefully dressing up as a Native American 

1 hour ago, KILLS said:

This! I can't believe the thread is filled with "SJW doing the most!", "people are dramatic", "this isn't racist!". If you don't know, that's fine - but don't try and label something as being okay in your own ignorance.

I don't think Hilary's costume was really that bad, in saying that I don't know enough about Pilgrim culture to formally comment, so I'll remain opinion-less on that.  But her boyfriend's is of the utmost offensiveness. Here is a really simple article that explains cultural appropriation in relation to popular Halloween costumes (including the Native American).

Once you understand cultural appropriation, I promise you you'll see it so fucking much - especially on Halloween. Just last night I was at a club and there was one white person dressed as a "shadow", which consisted of a black bodysuit, black boots, a black hat (of sorts) and the rest of her skin painted black. And you know what? No-one fucking read that as blackface except a very few people, with the rest cheering her racist ass on.

I'm gonna guess most of you are white, but that's no excuse - I'm so fucking white and I can still understand what is and isn't offensive. Step out of your ignorance.

OT: Hilary and her boyfriend shouldn't have worn what they did, but the fact that they've apologised and understood what they've done is wrong, is the first step to making it right. But actions do speak louder than words, and this certainly will not be the only instance of celebrity cultural appropriation this Halloween.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Literally. They're trying to be a SHADOW. A shadow is black. WHOA. They even had a bodysuit and everything and white skin would take away from you being a shadow because uh, let's see, a shadow is 100% black.

People ARE too sensitive. Have a backbone. Everyone is so uptight that no one can even fucking laugh anymore. 

Wearing blackface to make your costume an African American character IS racist. It has historical context to it being racist and derogatory. But wearing black on your skin to become a fucking SHADOW is not racist. There's no intent of portraying an African American.

Also, on the main topic, Hilary's boyfriend's costume is racist but hers is not. She's white af and her ancestors are Pilgrims so she's dressing as her own culture. She had no reason to apologize, but he did.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

what's pilgrim culture dead4 I thought this was mostly about him distastefully dressing up as a Native American 

I have no idea, but someone said there was such a thing as pilgrim culture on page one and I have been yelping over it ever since I first read it rip2 

What possesses them to dress up like that? Keep it fun, cute and in your own culture noway1

1 hour ago, Salvatore said:

Can't wait for the SJW trend to be over and people realizing that the people calling out white celebrities for being "racist" are just miserable, bored fools who have nothing better to do than make other "privileged" people's lives miserable so they can feel like they have accomplished something.

Posted from my iPhone using the FOTP app

Dahling this 'trend' has been going for 3 years so it's not exactly a trend. Your loss!