Wonder

Michael Jackson Albums Ranked (Epic Records)

Ranking an artists body of work is always a daunting feat. Ranking an artist as illustrious and iconic as Michael Jackson is an incredible feat that many would never dare to tackle. However, I am going to attempt it. I am going to rank Michael's albums from worst to best, however only his albums released on Epic Records (meaning all of his Motown output which would be Got to Be There through Forever, Michael) as his Motown output isn't immediately thought of when you think Michael Jackson. I will however be including Blood on the Dance Floor and the two posthumously released studio albums as they were too released by Epic. This ranking is completely my own opinion and is in now way definitive . Please share your own personal ranking with me of the undisputed King of Pop's Epic studio albums! 

9. Invincible (2001)

The final studio album Michael released whilst he was alive is sadly the weakest album that he has ever put out. I never thought you could hear MJ on auto pilot, but that is what this album was. It sounded so similar to the other albums he had put out and not all that different from the pop music on the radio at the time. Personal problems are what hampered this production. His health wasn't the greatest even at this point and the accusations of child misconduct were slowly beginning to pop up at this time period. There are glimpses of promise within the album, but the concepts that were brilliant are not fleshed out beyond those brief shimmers. The lyrics are very uninspired and are bland. It is easy to see this was a contract fulfillment record and that Michael's heart wasn't really into the production of the record. The album is populated by filler and even the singles lack something. The only truly Michael track on the album is the single "You Rock My World", but that song even becomes bland upon repeat listening. This album is really a must have for collectors and hardcore fans and not something that is a must have for the casual listener of casual fan. 

8. Michael (2010)

The first album released posthumously by Epic got a lot of people excited, but caused a sea of controversy before release. The controversy raised was that these were obviously songs Michael never wanted released to the public and that it was a seamless label cash in on his death. And, in truth, that is exactly what this is. But, what surprised a lot of people is that these songs aren't awful. To be demo and vault tracks, these songs sound pretty good. The biggest issue with this is, obviously, they were unfinished vault tracks. It is noticeable that some songs got to various stages of production. A good amount of the songs on the album were written during the Blood on the Dance Floor and Invincible sessions, which aren't incredibly lucrative creatively. The album has some fun tracks in "Hold My Hand" and "Hollywood Tonight" just to name a few. This album sadly is just incomparable to the body of work put out under Michael's eyes (minus Invincible) and it really lacks the final drops of flavoring Michael would no doubt have added to these tracks. 

7. Xscape (2014)

The second posthumous release is something that Michael fans didn't actually ask for. Michael was a good album, but it wasn't really anything other than a reminder of the loss of the genius that was Michael Jackson. This album only further added to that. Though the song selection on this album were better than the selections that were on the previous album, but they still lacked so much in the way of production. These songs are obviously vault songs and not meant for consumption by the public in their current state. Sadly, these songs are rung for every ounce of creative juice they have. There isn't much to say about this album other than it is slightly better than the previous, but still pretty rough. 

6. Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix (1997)

This is partially a remix album and partially a studio album. I am of course judging the new songs that were presented in the album. This album really took people by surprise when it came out because there wasn't much in the way of promotion or fanfare. However, the new tracks that were presented were pretty exciting and entertaining, especially the tittle track. These songs were left over from the HIStory sessions, so they fit into that era really well. In fact, these songs having been placed on the album proper might have made that album better. What these songs do lack in is lyrics. They lyrics are sort of childish compared to what Michael showed himself to be capable of. The main selling point of this album was the sound, and it was undeniably 90's. However, it has aged pretty well and the beats are still very danceable. Michael seems to be enjoying himself more within these new songs than he did in the previous and the following album. The remix tracks also supplement these songs really well. Overall, a great album. 

5. Off the Wall (1979)

No doubt a controversial choice to put in this position, I will stand my ground. Michael's first record under the Epic records label and his first in the "Quincy Jones Trilogy". The album (though technically his fifth overall studio album solo) was the launchpad for his solo career. The album is very disco influenced and features very simple but memorable lyrics. The disco theming of the album dates it very heavily. It is unmistakable as a 70's disco record. It is obvious which songs were primed to be singles from the album as these have much more intricate and bombastic production behind them. There is no filler on the album per say, but some tracks do feel more neglected than others. The greatest thing about this album is just how happy Michael sounds on all of the songs. It is well documented that he grew increasingly unhappy in his time with The Jackson 5/The Jacksons and that he was unhappy in the direction Motown was forcing them in. It easy to see he his happy with the constraints being lifted. The album shocked a lot of people when it came out. The album is a rousing listen, but simply cannot hold up to the records that Michael would become known for. 

4. HIStory: Past, Present, and Future Book 1 (1995)

This is Michael's epic statement of "I'm pissed off at a lot of people and I'm gonna make a bomb ass record and step on all the bitches". And it was great to hear. This is easily Michael's angriest album, in turn making it his most personal. It is clear that he isn't out to play games in the opening track of the album, the rousing Scream which includes the lyrics "Stop pressurin' me. Stop fuckin' with me. Ya make me wanna scream." It actually sounded really good to hear Michael take charge and put his foot down. The album does lag off a bit toward the end, which is sadly populated with some filler like tracks. But when the album shines, it shines so bright. The album opens with five incredibly solid tracks that stands to make an incredible first act for the album. The record is very polished and holds up very well. But why all the anger? This was MJ's first release since his 1993 child sexual abuse accusations. Michael had been torn apart in the media and by the public at large and he. Was. Pissed. It really showed in the album as well. This album is so unfairly forgotten in Michael's discography, mainly due to the time that it was released and where it falls in his discography. This album is very worthy of listening, so give it a shot if you haven't already. 

3. Thriller (1982)

Another controversial placing in my ranking, but piss off it's my ranking (LOL love you all). This album is the highest grossing album of ALL TIME. It is wildly considered to be one of the greatest albums ever recorded, not just in pop, but music in general. The album is actually pretty much perfect. Every song on the album is a tightly produced piece of music that will surely put you in a dancing mood. But that is why I put it at number three. It is as close to perfect as an album can be, and after a while it becomes too much. And perfection is boring. The last two tracks of the album are clearly the ones that got a little less attention. The album has an incredible flow to it, however, and even the worst track on the album still works wonders on the ears. The second in the "Quincy Jones Trilogy" of albums in Michael's career really proved Michael to be a bonafide icon. The album is fondly remembered by almost everyone alive to appreciate the record. It will be the album that forever is latched to the name Michael Jackson. It just isn't my personal favorite, though I can appreciate how fantastic and perfect it is. 

2. Bad (1987)

This was the first Michael Jackson album I heard in full and it has stuck with me ever since. The album is truly a masterwork of the pop genre and it is rightfully noted as one of the greatest albums of all time. It is undeniably an album packed to the brim with hits and it never lets up in its drive from the first note to the last. The album boasts such mega hits as "Smooth Criminal", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel". "Dirty Diana", and "Man in the Mirror" just to name a few. The album has only two songs that don't really stick with you after the album finishes ("Speed Demon" and "Just Good Friends") but those two songs cannot bog this album down at all. The album is such an incredible display of the talent that was Michael Jackson. This album is iconic and will forever be in my heart. But there is one other...

1. Dangerous (1992)

This. Album. In my humble opinion, the epitome of Michael's powers. The absolute harnessing of all of his creative energy and prowess. This album is the perfect pop creation and stands in history as one of the defining albums of the latter half of the twentieth century. From the first note of this album, the world knew it was something special. The album is so amazing partially because it cannot peg itself to one specific genre. It runs from pure pop (in Jam and In the Closet) to rock and grunge inspired territory (in Black or White and Give In to Me). This album ensnares you and won't let you go until the very end. It commands you attention. Some of Michael's most amazing lyrics came from this record. Without this album, I don't know what the pop landscape would have sounded like in the early 90's. The King showed us he deserved his throne and then some. If you haven't heard this album, please give it a listen. You will not be disappointed. 

Great insight, I definitely thought there were some good points. I have the same opinion on most. My own order would be:

1. Dangerous

2. HIStory

3. Bad

4. Blood On The Dance Floor

5. Thriller

6. Xscape

7. Invincible

8. Off The Wall

9. Michael

To me Dangerous definitely shows MJ as he was. And HIStory is his best last album he released. Off The Wall feels heavily overrated and even Thriller isn't as amazing as what people say it is. 

Personally, Bad slays his other works. The sound is so 80s, which, in my opinion, was one of music's best decades. Overall, whoever did this list is a genius. Not only do they sound educated and know what they are talking about, but they give valid reasons why they rank each one in their respective places. Very well done. You slay.

GIFBin Image